My first custom snare! highwood 42 ply birch

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
got her at a steal - arrived today. 42 plies of birch with a zebrano outer ply. She was in desperate need of a tune and oil but now i've given her some TLC and then gave her a whack and wow... WOW! she cracks but she has warmth. this is going to be a versatile snare. definite jazz application but i know she will work in funk and rock too. tomorrow i'll give her a gig test. hmmmm - mmm. happy christmas to me.
j

Attachments

• qwder.jpg
    qwder.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 613
  • qwerf.jpg
    qwerf.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 577
  • qwert.jpg
    qwert.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 551
  • qwertu.jpg
    qwertu.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 562
I was following that, but after ordering some other stuff, the long haired chief of staff forbade me any further drum purchases on pain of, well; pain.

I'll just have to get Gareth to make me one.

lol - i just love the feel and look of silky smooth olive wood:

0804BJ_OL_final442.jpg

olivetree_62.jpg

just got home from my gig in wimbledon. this snare is devine! so sensitive. i put here through the full range of dynamics at the gig - she rocked but also held up well in other genres. my only complaint is that she doesn't hold her tuning as well as my FF snares but i know how to solve that one.
j

Attachments

• jjjj.jpg
    jjjj.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 461
High wood does beautiful work, congrats on the acquisition. The only thing it needs is something improvement on the that ugly throw off. I like to add matching wood over the lever and dial. I find it odd, the rubber on these throw offs is often missing with slightly used drums. I have a bronze Ludwig with same throw and it too was missing the rubber.
2rghy08.jpg

Beautiful snare Jason. You have really been amassing some sexy gear lately.

I'd like to pick your brain a little if I may... You mentioned that the snare has jazz applications, I have always been under the impression that a thicker shell was first and foremost a one trick "crack-monster" (as dubbed by Andy). What heads/tuning/wires would you use to get a nice sensitive jazz tone out of this monster?

I have a 14x5.5 custom birch ply snare with cast hoops that I have tried every which way to get a more jazz-like tone out of. It seems that despite everything I am still left with a dry, loud "crack-monster" which sounds good but not sutable for my purposes.

i think cast hoops might be part of the problem. i'm also keen to try gavin harrisons idea of trimming off all but 8 strands of snare wire.
my own experience of snares has been weird. i teach on a lot of crappy school kits and i tune them up regularly. one thing i've noticed - although you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear you can get pretty close - unless the heads and wires are in shocking condition.
once i took a wood snare home and removed the reso and wires and then sanded the snare bed notches just a little deeper and bang the drum was much better.
that said i'm no expert in jazz snare sound. i just know what i like.
The only thing it needs is something improvement on the that ugly throw off. I like to add matching wood over the lever and dial. I find it odd, the rubber on these throw offs is often missing with slightly used drums. I have a bronze Ludwig with same throw and it too was missing the rubber.
that is a great idea. i have a bit of seasoned yew.
j

Back