Drum Expo 2009?

I was a volunteer at the first New England Drum Expo that was held in October 2007 in Manchester, New Hampshire.

There wasn't one held in 2008 because of the economy I am guessing.

Your best bet is to wait about six months and see if any information is available about it.

The website for it was at: thedrumexpo.com/

It is really hard to say right now given the econonmic conditions if there will be one held later this year or not.

Hey GCG199,

Thanks for the info.

When you were a volunteer, how was the expo? I wasn't able to make it but I heard it wasn't the turnout that was expected. What was your take?

thanks
75sling

Generally speaking, there was quite a crowd on the first day. The second day seemed to be less crowded — but it depended on what time of the day it was too.

I didn't hang around for the clinic that first night though — I suspect that it got a crowd too.

It was hard to tell just how big the crowd really was because of the way it was set up with the clinic area on one side and the product booths on the other. Plus the way I was running around — I just couldn't keep track of it all! I didn't even realize that they were holding clinics in some of the smaller rooms across the hall too.

I helped percussionist Pete Lockett get set up for his clinic with Steve Smith. But most of the time I was helping man the consignment table/area. I met a few legends in the vintage drum collecting community and even helped one make some deals!

I noticed that some of the other smaller drum shows weren't held this year either. [TigerBill's in New Jersey was one of them.] I am not sure if the sponsor/promoter was able to break even on it — between the advertising and other costs of it — it had be serious money to pull it all off!

Hi GCG199

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the lack of show is the economy? Not sure but I would sure like to see a show in the Boston area some time soon.

thanks, again

75sling

One other thing: Rob Cook of Rebeats.com (vintage drum books) did try out a show in the Boston area several years ago.

I don't know how they went though. I am guessing that he decided against doing them anymore.

Back