Axis Longboard double pedal facelift

(...) although what your impressive vegetables have to do with this thread, I'm not sure :)
;-) Maybe they've been adding to my madness... Maybe those courgettes are growing wildly large in our area with a nuclear power plant being located as near as some 10 km from us? haha

It just struck me that I have another kick practice pad. I haven't decided on what to do with my dw double pedal - either sell it (not going to fetch a lot of money given the model, plus it's used and modded) or keep it for nostalgia. If I keep it I'll have one kick practice pad for the dw and one for the Axis so there would be no need to switch the practice pads. Or have one pair at the kit and the other at the PC (the PC practice pad gets way more use... usually several hours a day).

Another thing I noticed is that while the dw2002 double pedal was super easy to fold with the drive shaft installed to put the pedals away under my PC workdesk when not using it, the Axis drive shaft has some pretty limited angle of motion so I have to detach the drive shaft on one end. So I have to have a drum key at hand.

Last edited:
Decided to do that heel block mod I had in mind. This will get the heel part of the footplate closer to the ground and the footplate will be more angled.

Apart from reducing the height/thickness of the heel blocks (by some 4 mm) I also wanted to give them a more appealing shape so they'd line up with the base plate and foot plate outlines.

One pic shows the original and modded heel block on top of each other.
Due to the reduced thickness I also had to round off that joint where the foot plate gets mounted to because otherwise it would scratch along the base plate or the pedals couldn't be used at all. I guess that will be the last mod for now on those pedals.

Attachments

• Axis_88.jpg
    Axis_88.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,888
  • Axis_86.jpg
    Axis_86.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,344
  • Axis_89.jpg
    Axis_89.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,683
  • Axis_91.jpg
    Axis_91.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,884
Done. Here's some pics - those heel blocks after fine sanding and polishing, plus mounted to the pedal. Those few mm in height difference make a noticeable difference - not huge but it's more to my taste now.

On the very last pic you can see that the 'U' end of one of the heel blocks is actually suspended from the ground plate - I have no idea how that happened. I simply assumed that the block would line up perfectly but it seems when I reworked the block I did so asymmetrically. Looks weird but there's no stability issues. I just never checked the blocks with the ground plate during the reworking and this is what turned out ;-)

On the previous pics the sides of the heel blocks had too much of an angle - which I noticed afterwards so I adjusted this and made them more lining up with the ground plate. I also rounded off the front contour, I thought that would look nicer.

You might notice that on one pedal I'm using different screws. When I got the pedals there were 2 screws missing. Funnily, I found one matching screw in our garage (why not 2? damn). We have a couple screws with the same threads but different heads. So I'll either get some more orig. Axis screws, use a mixed set or will buy a bunch of identical screws with matching heads.

Attachments

• Axis_102.jpg
    Axis_102.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,716
  • Axis_100.jpg
    Axis_100.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Axis_99.jpg
    Axis_99.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,736
  • Axis_97.jpg
    Axis_97.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,696
  • Axis_95.jpg
    Axis_95.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,667
  • Axis_92,94.jpg
    Axis_92,94.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,740
Last edited:
Done, part 2 ;-)

I reworked the heel block shape, they looked too pointed on one end to me which also didn't feel comfortable when using the pedal barefoot (which I would usually do).

The second thing I changed was the screws. 1 orig. Axis screw was still missing and I decided to buy some stainless screws and replace the screws on the footplates - silver cosmetics throughout which looks pretty cool IMO. I needed to shorten those screws though and also to deburr the edges after trimming them. Which is a bit of a pain with stainless steel due to the higher stability of that material.

Those stainless screws were hard to mount so after much fumbling around I decided to rework them using a thread cutter. They fit perfectly afterwards - lesson learned for next time. Next to the thread cutter you can see the 'salvaged' orig. Axis screws and a few spare screws. The new screws looked ok as they were but I thought I'd sand off that labeling on the screw heads. More time, more aching fingers, more cosmetics. The end result looks cool to me.

So what's next? Finishing the drive shaft. And forgetting about touching the Axis for any more modifications ever.

Attachments

• Axis_111.jpg
    Axis_111.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,635
  • Axis_110.jpg
    Axis_110.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,656
  • Axis_108.jpg
    Axis_108.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,641
  • Axis_107.jpg
    Axis_107.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,688
  • Axis_105.jpg
    Axis_105.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,597
  • Axis_103.jpg
    Axis_103.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 1,685
  • Axis_112.jpg
    Axis_112.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,622
I have bought a set of longboards that are in desperate need of a facelift. I dont think I have the patients to do this though..lol.

I have bought a set of longboards that are in desperate need of a facelift. I dont think I have the patients to do this though..lol.
Do you really think I would do this again? haha

I've been enjoying those pedals in the meantime. They got a few more scratches here and there - it's aluminum in the end, and cosmetically, that stuff is super unforgiving.
Still haven't gotten around to finishing the drive shaft buffing. (Time is not the problem.)

Back