sound better without playing to click

Spectron

Silver Member
I have been recording my self playing and practicing for some time now and I find it funny that when I am recording to a click track my playing sounds
a tad sloppy from a measure by measure perspective.

In contrast when I just sit down and groove with no click
it really grooves and sounds solid.

It's like when I play to a click it sounds like I wasn't
and when I play with no click it sounds like I did?

Now as far as the click goes yes if I record a 3 minute peice at say 120bpm
my timing remains consitant in that at the end of the piece I'm still playing
120bpm BUT the individual measures - I can hear myself speed up and slow down to catch the click (micro timing) but these tiny inconsistancies from measure to measure
steal the groove....sounds sloppy

Now when I just sit and groove with no reference it sounds tight and solid from beginning to end it grooves hard and sounds tight but I guarantee if I started
@ say 120bpm - by the end of 3 minutes I am probably closer to 123 or 125bpm
but the measure by measure playing sounds much more solid.

Is it just me or is playing to click and maintaining groove just ridiculously hard?

The more you practice with a click, the steadier your internal pulse will be. This means that after a while of practicing to a click, you'll find that you will sound better both with and without it.

I think I play with more confidence without a click track
I place the individual hits exactly where I want them to make it "groove"
its about getting the sound in my head transfered to my hands and feet
and since I've been a guitar/bass player for a good 20 years - My internal pulse is pretty solid - I do have a good sense of timing but it is not perfection.

While playing with a click I am focused on the click more than my "feel"
my focus changes and there is a longer path from head to drums.

It is weird because a lot of times while I am practicing to a click
it feels and sounds like I am right on the money I feel almost robotic
- but when I listen back
I am horrified.....I hear all those micro adjustments I make trying to match up to the click....

More practice I guess....maybe I'll try an eight or sixteenth note click
instead of quarter notes for a while see how I do with that.

The more you practice with a click, the steadier your internal pulse will be. This means that after a while of practicing to a click, you'll find that you will sound better both with and without it.

+1, it's all about the practice. Eventually, you won't even know it's there (unless you've got to play groups of seven between feet and hands in 32nd notes, then you just want to kill yourself).

Fox.

Eventually, you won't even know it's there

This is so true. We play to a click in my band, and after a few rehearsals it had become so natural that I no longer noticed that it was there at all. My playing just naturally follows it now, and I can focus on my playing 100% and know that my time is spot on every step of the way.

In addition to this, I definitely notice that my timing has improved by miles when I don't use a click too. Like I said, using a click really helps you get used to both having it there and not having it there.

I think I play with more confidence without a click track

I think we all do. But that confidence comes from knowing your timing won't be judged or validated by a known steady click! And there's always some rationalization involved: "It feels better without a click... the music can breathe... a click is too mechanical..." etc etc. I'm not saying that a click is God, but musicians make up all sorts of excuses and reasons that a click ruins their playing or style or artistic passion.

Learning to sound good with a click is a process, and takes practice. The best drummers in the world record or play almost everything to a click, and make it sound perfectly natural. there's no reason we mere mortals can't do the same.

I'm not always perfect with a click, sometimes it takes a little extra work. But my improvement is noticeable both when using a click, and not. My playing, sense of timing and sense of transitions (fills) have all improved immensely, and it's especially evident when not using a click. That's the biggest benefit.

Hang in there, embrace the click, and practice.

Bermuda

I worked exclusively with a click for at least a year. Over time I got more comfortable with it and felt I could groove good with or without. What I've been doing recently though is playing along to 80's and 90s hip hop. It's the best of both worlds, perfect time and unlimited groove. Give it a try!

My favs: Best of Sugarhill Records, Run DMC, Tupac, Dr Dre and Snoop.

Is it just me or is playing to click and maintaining groove just ridiculously hard?

Don't worry, man, it most certainly is not just you!

I practice along with a click a lot and it does get easier with experience. And even when it feels uncomfortable, it's probably helping you improve the way you'll play time when you play without it. The key is to pay attention to the kinds of phrases or grooves where you tend to rush or drag, and focus on cleaning up those parts. It can be frustrating, but if you keep at it, you'll be rewarded with improvement.

There is no substitute for a click and recording of your playing. Talk about humbling.

It's also similar to when you're just learning/coming up with a part, since you are figuring it out and struggling with the mechanics, you just can't focus on grooving it yet. Once you got your drumset skills used to playing with a click, you can then focus on giving them flavour.

Fox.

i had the same feeling for my whole drumming life.
but a couple months ago i kinda had a eureka moment with the click. i had to learn how to submit my inner click to the metronome. i can honestly say it is all a matter of practice, patience, and persistence.

it was really similar to learning how to keep time with my hi-hat foot, something i neglected for years. i just had to force myself into doing it and not thinking about it.

just put on a comfortable tempo and try and groove with it. if you spend an hour each day with different tempos you can see radical improvements quickly.

This happens to me too, and here's why.

In you're playing without a click, within 3 minutes, you're most likely going to speed up or slow down. However this happens so gradually and is so minute that it's not noticeable when listening to it.

When you are playing with a click, the same thing happens. However now, you can hear the clicking sound. The tiny bit that you slowed down or sped up becomes more apparent, because you realize you're not on time with the click. This makes you slow down or speed up again to get back on track with it.

So if you analyze both, you're actually changing the tempo more when playing with the click. (Not necessarily a bad thing, it's just a fact.)

Solution? Just practice practice practice with the click. Eventually you'll get good enough where you don't speed up or slow down at all, and it will sound cleaner with the click.

Back