Moving...means new place for drums

simmsdn

Silver Member
I just moved 350 miles down the road and no longer have my drums in a basement, they're now a part of the 'office.'

Upside is they're right here all of the time and for recording, this is going to be much more convenient and this room doesn't need all of the treatments a basement room needed. Downside is I don't have as much room as I did before to have a lot of things set up on a more permanent basis. I do have a nice closet and a collection of Action Packers to keep everything organized!

I have everything mic'd up, but won't run the cables until I actually have something to record. Don't know if this is showing off or a downgrade yet...time will tell (probably when I go to laydown a track).

Attachments

• DSC_5543.JPG
    DSC_5543.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 512
  • DSC_5545.JPG
    DSC_5545.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC_5546.JPG
    DSC_5546.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC_5547.JPG
    DSC_5547.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 470
Looking good, my friend.

Any chance you could put up some sound clips to give us a taste of how the kit and the rooms sound?

Looks great though!

EDIT: Whoa - didn't see that snare -- what is it??

I will put up some sound clips soon...wife is making me unpack and put away rest of the house before I can record anything.

Snare is a 5" x 14" B/O early/mid-70s Supraphonic. Chrome was all pitted up (picked it up for cheap), so my dad (vintage drum collector) covered it with this purple sparkle wrap. 10-lug die cast hoops on it. I just picked up a P-86 strainer and a new Aquarian head for it that I'll put on before I record. It's my fun snare, next will be chrome tube lugs and a refinish job with a 'marble' paint I found at Lowes.

WOW
Nice looking drums, man. Really classy.
I bet they sound heavenly too.

May I ask what is that A Custom Ride? Is it a Ping? How do you like it? (I'm thinking about getting one). Thanks.

Congrats for the nice kit and the new house.

Cheers!

I have everything mic'd up, but won't run the cables until I actually have something to record. Don't know if this is showing off or a downgrade yet...time will tell (probably when I go to laydown a track).

good idea, it means you've got the mics already in the right place and don't have to mess about with setting them up all the time but at the same time you're not tripping over cables. I used to do that when I used actual drums in my recordings. Well it's ok until you smash your sm57 lol.

Figure out my favorite drummer did you? I read how he likes it because it keeps the sweat out of his eyes. I've spent 3+ years in the Middle East and had some primitive kufis given to me by locals, but I bought this online in the USA (more of a sweatband quality to it).

Armed forces?

May I ask what is that A Custom Ride? Is it a Ping? How do you like it? (I'm thinking about getting one). Thanks.

Thanks, yes, it's a 20" A Custom Ping Ride. I love it. I do not really care for rides with much wash (if I need wash, I'll ride on an 18" crash). This and the 21" Z Mega Bell are my favorite ride cymbals.

Drums are great, hard to beat some maple B/O Ludwigs. I have a 9"x14" tom that's in the closet...don't really have room for it and I'm good with the 13/16/18 split.

Roger!

I'm not a gorilla so I'm not overly worried about smashing a mic. I have the Sennheiser e604 on the toms and those mics can get hit by a tactical nuke and still be fine. I have a Sennheiser e602 on a Kelly Shu inside the bass drum, so not worried about that one either.

I do have the SM57 on my snare though...
I just picked up the Sennheiser 900 Pro Pack III kit, and I love the feel of all the mics. Very well built, and the clip on tom mics are great. Just need to order the Kelly Shu now.

I just picked up the Sennheiser 900 Pro Pack III kit, and I love the feel of all the mics. Very well built, and the clip on tom mics are great. Just need to order the Kelly Shu now.

If you like those Sennheisers, you're gonna love the sound of the e902 on the Shu! I have the composite Shu and it holds up perfectly fine. Will post some sounds probably this coming weekend.

Here's the Supra with the P86 on it. Next few months will see chrome tube lugs and a new finish on it. This purple wrap was an experiment at making a badly flaked chrome over Ludalloy look like something different. Next time, I'm painting it.

Attachments

• DSC_5558 (1200).jpg
    DSC_5558 (1200).jpg
    342 KB · Views: 362
To be perfectly honest, that is a beautiful snare as is! Also it is very unique. I have never seen anybody with a Supraphonic with a Purple Sparkle finish. Although I am sure whatever else you do to it will look just as good, or better.

I must say, I love the kit and the set up you have going on, it looks relatively comfortable and accessible, cannot wait until i can hear some sound samples from it..

Cheers,
-Mario-

To be perfectly honest, that is a beautiful snare as is! Also it is very unique. I have never seen anybody with a Supraphonic with a Purple Sparkle finish. Although I am sure whatever else you do to it will look just as good, or better.
-

Mario, Thanks...it's a great looking snare, but it's not the best wrap job, just an experiment. The wrap is actually wrinkled in a few places now, so it's in need of a repair regardless which means it's an opportunity to experiment some more!

Here's a quick sound test.

Mics:
Snare: Shure SM57
Bass: Sennheiser e602 on Kelly Shu
Toms: Sennheiser e604 (x3)
Overhead: Shure PG81 (x2)

I ran that into a TASCAM US-1641 into my trusty HP dv7 running Sonor 8.3. I converted to mp3 using "Free WAV to MP3 Converter" - it's the fourth or fifth mp3 converter I've tried out, so hopefully it's decent. I'm too cheap to shell out for the Sonor mp3 plug-in...their software cost enough that it should come with the mp3 encoder bundled - it is 2011 after all.

I added a little compression and EQ, but not a whole lot. I slightly gated the toms because I need to do some work with the room for recording (I was getting a LOT of BOOM that I'll need to isolate). I have some fleece blankets that actually work great to fix the booms.

Overall, this isn't bad - but not great either.

*I don't know how this .mnp3 conversion went. The .wav was 22MB and I never have good luck converting and posting mp3s to Drummerworld (they sound fine when played, but some people can hear bleeps and bips. If I'm doing a for real mp3 conversion, I'll burn the WAVs into a CD and then rip the CD...never have issues when I do it that way, but is a pain in the rear.

Attachments

• Drum Test 20110616-Drums.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 79
Back