Neil Peart's drum sound

perfect example of a terrible drum sound ruining a good record, any Janes Addiction record

I know Stephen fairly well and know that all the drums sounds were what he was looking for at the time.

they just all sound awful to me, absolutely awful

perfect example of a terrible drum sound ruining a good record, any Janes Addiction record

I know Stephen fairly well and know that all the drums sounds were what he was looking for at the time.

To me it's mike mangini's drums on the new DW album, I really don't care for them. It's just an opinion though.

I feel that the V-Drums do a good deed to the drumsolos, but in the 80's and 90's when they were used in the songs it made the music feel a bit cheesy to me, this destracting from the actual feel of the song.

For me. I'd rather he just use them for the songs they were made for. For instance Red Sector A. That song would sound just plain wrong with acoustic drums IMO.

As far as the drumsolos go, I personally could take or leave the e-kit. His e-kit use on O' Baterista is phenomenal, the other solo's I've seen have just been average as far as the e kit is concerned.

The amount of disrespect EVERYONE gets on this site or on the internet in general is incredible.
Wow, really? The way I see it, at least on this site, is that not everyone worships Neil Peart. So what? It's not like people are calling him names or saying that he sucks or anything. Most vast majority on here get that he's enormously popular and has been very influential. What more can you want?

Some people react to any thoughtful critique of him as if 1,000 pigeons just vengefully shat on their statue of the man.

Wow, really? The way I see it, at least on this site, is that not everyone worships Neil Peart. So what? It's not like people are calling him names or saying that he sucks or anything. Most vast majority on here get that he's enormously popular and has been very influential. What more can you want?

Some people react to any thoughtful critique of him as if 1,000 pigeons just vengefully shat on their statue of the man.

I think he gets a lot of undeserved criticism on this sight. Neil gets a lot more respect on this sight than most drummers do, but I was just making a point, not talking about Neil specifically.

Also, to Mike Portnoy/ Neil Peart profile picture guy, I know he has a signature line, but I think he would prefer a signature line from Saluda than Sabian :)
Sabian is my second favorite company btw, no offense to them.

I think he gets a lot of undeserved criticism on this sight. Neil gets a lot more respect on this sight than most drummers do.
Can you show an example where a critique was "undeserved"? Links to posts where someone was being unfair or disrespectful toward him?

Look, I've been a NP fan since I was 13. He was my favorite drummer growing up. But that was over 30 years ago and I've absorbed influence from a lot of other drummers since then.

I understand where the NP criticism comes from, I really do. Compared to Jeff Porcaro or John Bonham, he's incredibly stiff (and moreso in recent years). So if your idea of good drumming is JP or JB, then yeah, NP's probably not going to do it for you. Also, he's made a name for himself, in part, by inserting "hero fills" into practically every song. If that isn't your idea of mature drumming, then yeah, that all by itself could be a huge turn-off ... and so it goes.

It isn't mean spirited (in the majority of cases), and what's so wrong with a thoughtful analysis of someone's drumming? It doesn't change anything. But it does provide insight and diversity of opinion. Surely, there can be no harm in that?

Can you show an example where a critique was "undeserved"? Links to posts where someone was being unfair or disrespectful toward him?

Look, I've been a NP fan since I was 13. He was my favorite drummer growing up. But that was over 30 years ago and I've absorbed influence from a lot of other drummers since then.

I understand where the NP criticism comes from, I really do. Compared to Jeff Porcaro or John Bonham, he's incredibly stiff (and moreso in recent years). So if your idea of good drumming is JP or JB, then yeah, NP's probably not going to do it for you. Also, he's made a name for himself, in part, by inserting "hero fills" into practically every song. If that isn't your idea of mature drumming, then yeah, that all by itself could be a huge turn-off ... and so it goes.

It isn't mean spirited (in the majority of cases), and what's so wrong with a thoughtful analysis of someone's drumming? It doesn't change anything. But it does provide insight and diversity of opinion. Surely, there can be no harm in that?
Of course, and honestly, I'm not going to send find links for you, because, they are hard to find.
I'm not saying anything they say towards Neil specifically are insulting, but those directed at other drummers often are.

Neil receives some undeserved criticism in my opinion, but usually it's not incredibly offensive.

Presto wasn't really "over-produced". That album began a stage of going with less effects, less keyboards and whatnot. Here's a good video, and really the whole documentary is very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4vhR1tcxAIQ#t=375s

Anything on any RUSH album was made to be able to play live. Any little tiny electronic sound you might here is either played on a electronic drum pad by Neil or on moog pedals/synths by Alex or Geddy

My favorite drum sound of Neil's would have to be Hemispheres for it's cripness and cleaness.

Edit:

Here's a litle qoute from Geddy i found.

"We wanted [Presto] to be more of a singer’s album, and I think you’ll notice that the arrangements musically support the vocal. . . . Neil’s lyrics to me are a lot more heartfelt. Presently, they’re experience oriented. I think they deal with living . . . This album was a real reaction against technology in a sense. I was getting sick and tired of working with computers and synthesizers. Fortunately, so was [co-producer] Rupert [Hine]. . . . We made a pact to stay away from strings, pianos, and organs—to stay away from digital technology. In the end, we couldn’t resist using them for colour."

Maybe we're defining over-produced differently. When I listen to the sound of the snare drum on that album, it sounds very "80s" to me. Nothing at all like the more raw, organic tones he gets from his current DW setup.

The clip at the beginning of your link to the video clip sums it up for me: Presto sounds very thin and has no balls. I agree with that assessment.

I agree his playing is stiff, it was the first thing I noticed about his playing. I respect him immensly as person and a musician but he isn't my thing. He really excels at his Rush material (of course), but times when I've seen him try to do the jazz stuff he just can't pull it off. And that's fine, he is known for his signature large fills, robotic style. And he does it well.

I personally don't love his drum sound but it works for Rush.

The clip at the beginning of your link to the video clip sums it up for me: Presto sounds very thin and has no balls. I agree with that assessment.

True.

While Presto had a few good songs on it, overall, it was not a very good album.
"Show Don't Tell" and "Scars" were the only real bright spots of that album IMHO.
And the thin production certainly didn't help the rest of the songs. There was a real lack of warmth in the overall sound on that album.

Personally my favourite Neil drums are the Ludwigs from Hold Your Fire and Presto. In my opinion the best sounding of all the tom toms! Even compared to his DW tom toms. I think it was mentioned earlier that the smaller DW tom toms sound like tin cans! I agree, even hearing those live, they sounded like tin cans. I don't really care for the tom tom sound on the Time Machine drumkit. When I heard those tom toms live, they sounded to me very loose and dull! Then again that's my opinion, as for the favourite sounding Neil tom toms, like I said the Ludwigs from HYF and Presto are my favs!

Personally my favourite Neil drums are the Ludwigs from Hold Your Fire and Presto. In my opinion the best sounding of all the tom toms! Even compared to his DW tom toms. I think it was mentioned earlier that the smaller DW tom toms sound like tin cans! I agree, even hearing those live, they sounded like tin cans. I don't really care for the tom tom sound on the Time Machine drumkit. When I heard those tom toms live, they sounded to me very loose and dull! Then again that's my opinion, as for the favourite sounding Neil tom toms, like I said the Ludwigs from HYF and Presto are my favs!

I'm telling ya'll its because he tunes the toms so high they just don't sound right, he just needs a custom 6" tom from dw.

They are actually quality heads for DW designed by DW. They are clear with a coated strip around the edge designed to give attack of clear heads with warmth of the coated. I really don't care for them myself though.

I don't doubt they aren't quality heads, just thought considering he has endorsements coming from everywhere that he would endorsee a third-party band away from DW (but he likes them). As for tuning his drums high like that, Stewart Copeland also does that with his Tama kit and it sounds great. I just put it down to personal preference. My theory is he is going for a more melodic sound to his kit rather than a typical tom sound. Terry Bozzio comes to mind ;)

I don't doubt they aren't quality heads, just thought considering he has endorsements coming from everywhere that he would endorsee a third-party band away from DW (but he likes them). As for tuning his drums high like that, Stewart Copeland also does that with his Tama kit and it sounds great. I just put it down to personal preference. My theory is he is going for a more melodic sound to his kit rather than a typical tom sound. Terry Bozzio comes to mind ;)

I can see what you mean by melodic.

Stephen Perkins is a huge, huge inspiration for me. Almost as much as Neil Peart. I never thought his drums sound bad, I never thought NP's drums sounded bad. Maybe I'm just too forgiving or I just don't understand what you all are talking about. It's all crazy talk to me. Semantics, but, then again what the heck is there to talk about then? Aches and pains? Should I tell you how impressed I am with the Paiste Signature 10" Splash?

As for favorite Rush album drum sounds, I'm saying Presto, just because...

Back