My search has ended

tipk99

Well, I am somewhat new to the forums here - I came a few months back when I started my search for a new kit. Since then I've been on here almost every day reading as much as I could... I've asked a few questions here and there, read reviews and opinions- soaking up as much information as all of you folks would provide - and I really started listening to different flavors of drums. What I was really looking for was a simple 4 piece, with a virgin 20" kick, 12" and 14" toms and a snare... but I wanted something a little unique - and of course I wanted all that for about a grand. I had been playing a Sonor Sonic Plus for 8 years on and off and decided it was time for something new... my band is hoping to record early next year and I wanted something that would shine. I tossed around ideas of Gretsch Renown Groove Kit (although price was an issue), a few used Keller customs like Phattties and even a used Pork Pie... but none of them really spoke to me. I really liked the idea of vintage, but I got lost in the years and years of different makes models and sounds....

Then I stumbled upon these for sale on Ebay - and couldn't believe my eyes.

unix3.jpg

I had read a lot about them - read every post about their construction - every decision Rob made about them. I listened over and over to the mp3s... I was astonished! I couldn't believe it! And to top it off, I was the only bidder - so I got a pretty darn good deal on them too. I still am having a hard time comprehending that I got an African Mahogany Unix kit in my budget.

They arrive next week, and I'm so excited. Now all I have to do is get my skills up to the level of that kit - must find the pocket! Wish me luck.

Tom

Well, I asked him the same question... since as I read through the posts it seems like he had it built custom for him earlier this year...

The answer appears to be two fold - 1) He's a bit addicted to buying and selling drums :)
and 2) As he explained in a few of his posts, he has a disability. It ended up being hard for him to manage these drums. They ended up sitting around his house not getting too much use. Ultimately he wanted something more compact and suited his needs more - so he had another kit custom built for him... smaller with some really unique hardware features that make it easy for him to use - quite awesome actually.

Very classy. They look absolutely gorgeous...I especially love the striped hoops on the kick drum...really sets the finish off.

I can't believe Rob is already selling them. That man is a mystery. I don't even know why he's left the forums... :-S

The answer appears to be two fold - 1) He's a bit addicted to buying and selling drums :)
and 2) ... another kit custom built for him...
Yes, many of us have and/or know people with that affliction. Good to hear he's getting another custom. Francois is indeed one of the top North American builders. Great score for you. Give Rob my regards, if you would.

Beautiful! And remember the wait for these to get done. Wow!

So as for the addiction, wait,.... you are supposed to sell them too?
Big%20Laugh.gif

...Great score.

Nice to see that patience and research does pay off.

As much as I love my drums, I see a Unix kit in my future.

Barry

Thanks everyone... can't wait to get em!

And Simple Kit User - It's a Unix kit. Stave construction, built in Canada. www.unix.com There ae actually two threads around the constuction of this kit.

Harry Conway - I sent him an email saying hi this AM...

Tom

wow what a kit

Look's fabulous well done!!!! :D

I can't believe you scored a used Unix kit. That's a holy grail here at Drummerworld. That's like saying,"I think I'll buy a barn to replace what I got." and ending up like this guy:http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/

(Although apparently, it's an urban legend)

GN is Ghostnote. Site for drumbuilders. So you are the one that scotred the eBay Unix for 900.00. One bid on that set was really funny. I don't think enough people know about Francoise's drum yet. Rob had a buy now price of 1100.00 with no reserve so they went for 900.00. He sold the matching snare separately.

GN is Ghostnote... another forum. And as I understand it, he got banned here for saying something on Ghostnote.

And 10past10 - I know! I couldn't believe it... I was searching Ebay on a regular basis for "gretsch," "Pork Pie," "Keller" "groove," "jazz," "bebop," and "Custom" under "percussion" - just to see what I might find out there... One day my "custom" search popped this kit up and I fell in love. I had already read all about Unix on DW so I knew I was looking at a piece of art... and when I came to search for more info that's when I found the 2 threads about it's construction. I actually wasn't quite sure I was ready to buy a new kit - although I knew I wanted one - but I could not pass this up.

Thanks again for all the kind words - I'm so pumped!

Tom

Back