Yamaha Stage Custom Raven finish

Is it me or does the raven finish on the new Yamaha SCs look green. At first i let it go, but after adding a Black Pork Pie snare drum its obvious my Yamahas are not black. Am i the only one annoyed by this? Please excuse the cell phone pic.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 9,935
had a set of them for a few months, black with the wood grain showing in most light, not as green as that picture but a green tint in some light. almost always looked black though.

They look green to me, and raven has always meant black to me. Shiney black.
I did a Google search and a Dictionary.com search and find know inference to green. They, the bird, may look a bit purple at time but I have never seen anything green The bass drum head is black and they aren't close.

I always thought "Raven" was more of a "blue-black"

That kit does look green in the pic though

I did a Google image search and the stock photos don't look green at all or at least not as much is in your pic. Yours is still nice but I can understand your being annoyed.

I've seen a couple of those kits around here. In low light, they do look pretty black. But put some light on them and green shows through pretty strongly.
I think it's got a base coat of green covered by a transparent black.

I like it.

Edit: But if you were expecting a solid dark black, and didn't have a chance to examine them closely in person before buying, I can see where you might be upset.

Last edited:
Mine are definitely greenish, and it's one of the things that caused me to choose that finish - I love the green.

Without being more specific than "Raven" I would think the color could be a black that morphs to most any other color depending on the lighting.

Exerpt from "Raven" on Wiki: "mostly black iridescent plumage"

Exerpt from "Iridescence" on Wiki:

"Iridescence (also known as goniochromism) is generally known as the property of certain surfaces that appear to change color as the angle of view or the angle of illumination changes."

"Iridescence is an optical phenomenon of surfaces in which hue changes in correspondence with the angle from which a surface is viewed."

BTW I wouldn't be annoyed. I've never thought a snare had to be a color match for the rest of the kit.

Think of how cool you'll sound when you say , "Dude, check out my goniochromic drums!"

Im seriously so pissed about this. This is the color I ordered and should have got. I spent weeks researching drums. I am married with 3 young boys so I was on a tight budget, So I really put in the time to find the best drums i could afford. Ughhhhh it makes me sick to even look at this picture below because its so damn beautiful and mine looks nothing like it.

Sorry for the rant guys, Im just super disappointed and needed to vent.

Attachments

• Yamaha%20Stage%20Custom%20Birch%208%20x%2010%20tom%20-%20Raven%20Black%20lacquer%20-%202009%20Mo.jpg
    Yamaha%20Stage%20Custom%20Birch%208%20x%2010%20tom%20-%20Raven%20Black%20lacquer%20-%202009%20Mo.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 9,407
Did you try looking at your drums in different lighting situations such as daylight, tungsten and several different fluorescent temperatures. A lot of times the different temperatures of light have different effects on certain finishes. Yesterday I was looking at Yamaha Stage Customs in Raven Black and could not see any green at all, maybe a subtle tone of blue, but not green. I held the tom in my hands revolving it trying to see a green hue, but couldn't.

Dennis

Ughhhhh it makes me sick to even look at this picture below because its so damn beautiful and mine looks nothing like it..

I bought a Stage Custom kit new at a smoking deal about 2 years ago. I really didn't care for the finish so I juat had mine wraped with a red snakeskin fabric. Now they look great.

You could always strip the exsisting finish and just apply a black stain. Make the boys help you. It'll give you all a family project to bond over. Don't be afraid of customizing your drums. They're yours. Go nuts.

id love to strip them and make them a see through black with a matt clear coat i just dont have the time. I can be quite handy with most thing but im scared id screw up somehow and ruin a perfectly good finish. Even though i hate the color.

I might just sell the shells and buy new shells, either the new slat black stage customs, or a drumcraft shell pack ive seen for a great deal at a GC in my area.

Problem is im about to drop 800 bucks on drum mics so i really dont wanna spend money on something thats not a necessity.

Hey redline. I've got an idea for you. Sounds a bit crazy, but you might want to try some
Turtle Wax Black Color Magic.
http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Color Magic Black-42-50.aspx

It's a tinted car wax, relatively inexpensive, and it's worth a try as a cheap fix for you.
Just rub it on, let it haze, and buff it off with a soft cloth.
It's not a permanent stain or anything, but I've used it on cars with good results for hiding light scratches and so on.
It'll fade after several washings, but I don't think that would be an issue with drums.
Cheap enough that it's worth a try, before you go dumping the drums.

That sounds like a good idea. Thankd wild bill. I will give it a try. The green is fine but its just not what i was looking for. I had a green kit for 10 years and wanted something different.

Hey redline. I've got an idea for you. Sounds a bit crazy, but you might want to try some
Turtle Wax Black Color Magic.
http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Color Magic Black-42-50.aspx

It's a tinted car wax, relatively inexpensive, and it's worth a try as a cheap fix for you.
Just rub it on, let it haze, and buff it off with a soft cloth.
It's not a permanent stain or anything, but I've used it on cars with good results for hiding light scratches and so on.
It'll fade after several washings, but I don't think that would be an issue with drums.
Cheap enough that it's worth a try, before you go dumping the drums.

What a great idea! I have to try this on some drums I want to darken up myself.
FWIW, I love the color of those Stage Customs....

My 1st series Stage Customs in Raven Black do more of a purplish thing under direct light. Sorry to hear that yours turn green -- I think I'd rather like that, green being my favorite color.

Attachments

• P1010840.jpg
    P1010840.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 4,846
Back