Reason why no Keith Moon type drummers exists on main stream music

This is a very interesting thread...and I like it very much. It' prompted me to go back through my Who catalog and re-enjoy Keith Moon.

Ironically...believe it or not...I rank the 1982 Who concert I attended to be the best concert I have personally been to. No Moon. We had average+ seats, but the sound was spectacular and the performance was awesome.

When Kenney played , he used the extra bass drum as a "rack" to support a tom, not as another basic beat Moonie used whenever he wanted when he exploded on the skins.

I still think when i play along the song "eminence front" the blant dead steady time keeping book smart beat Kenney played can be re recorded with another Street Smart drummer with some unpredictable fills to make it more "spicy".

New Guitarists, bassists, vocalists and producers need to be reborn in the rock music field to accept a street smart drummer like Moonie...in my honest opinion.....cause no one wants to get out of that "Book smart play by the rule rut" they are in.

This is a very interesting thread...and I like it very much. It' prompted me to go back through my Who catalog and re-enjoy Keith Moon.

Ironically...believe it or not...I rank the 1982 Who concert I attended to be the best concert I have personally been to. No Moon. We had average+ seats, but the sound was spectacular and the performance was awesome.

It was a great concert probably because they had to refocus on their sound without Moon.

New Guitarists, bassists, vocalists and producers need to be reborn in the rock music field to accept a street smart drummer like Moonie...in my honest opinion.....cause no one wants to get out of that "Book smart play by the rule rut" they are in.

This is right on !

One of the reasons is everyone strive for perfection. Too much perfection is boring to me and other Keith Moon fans.......:)

Attachments

• dave grohl.jpg
    dave grohl.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 2,225
One of the reasons is everyone strive for perfection. Too much perfection is boring to me and other Keith Moon fans.......:)

I have never seen that quote from Grohl...I am gaining respect towards him; not that he needs it or that it matters.

I also just watched Sound City the other night and, aside from all the tape they had on that recording kit in the studio, I gained an appreciation for him and his actions.

I still don't care for the Foo Fighters music...but am really gaining an appreciation for Dave Grohl... my "overrated" thoughts on him previously are being revised.

I dont care for the foo fighters music either, their drummer (Hawkins) seem to play by the "rules"..so.

another interesting fact on Dave Grohl is he played the whole "never mind" album by holding the sticks the "wrong way" (grip at the tapered end , hitting the skins with the fat end)....breaking the rules of those who follow books.

I dont care for the foo fighters music either, their drummer (Hawkins) seem to play by the "rules"..so.

another interesting fact on Dave Grohl is he played the whole "never mind" album by holding the sticks the "wrong way" (grip at the tapered end , hitting the skins with the fat end)....breaking the rules of those who follow books.

Uh a few drummers use the butt end of the stick. Nicko from Iron Maiden uses the butt end of his sticks as well.

breaking the rules of those who follow books.

Jesus, long bow mate.

Your obsession for not following musical norms is now causing you to look in some pretty strange places for examples to "prove" your point. You think Grohl was the first guy to flip a stick? I wonder if burying your head so deep in the sand is not causing you to miss out on a heap?

wow bro

forgive me for saying this ...but you are really starting to sound like a complete jackass ....to say the very least

To be fair, if I'd spent my entire musical existence listening to the Rolling Stones, Deep Purple and The Who and nothing else, I'd be pretty jaded.

I learned the 'book' on musical composition so that I could break it. If you study, you can innovate. Otherwise more often than not, you're thrashing around in the dark thinking you're being original when nothing is further from the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sanAHVITCDY

the music sounds fully cohesive.............if we replace Moonie with one of the best drummers in the world , (name ur fav), I bet the music might not sound this "different" like this. The music stood out for sure...cause they were thinking out of the box....

too bad there is no full DVD available.....

Oh my, we are back on the Keith Moon issue again. I will say the same thing I posted before, he is by far the most over rated drummer ever. The guy needed serious psychological help, as well as to maybe try and spend 2 straight hours sober. He did not take the drums seriously, the group had to hunt him down, try to clean him up a bit and then he had to completely re-learn how to play the drums.

Maybe, he was a complete genius, a true prodigy, but he threw it all away trashing hotel rooms and dressing up in women's clothes.

In short, because mainstream music is barely music and it sucks. It's all clicks and computers. Real drummers are under the radar

Back