What we learn here

For a newcomer, the world of buying your first drum kit can be overwhelming and confusing. The best aspect of DW is that any new drummer can elicit the advice of drum experts on what to buy, etc., etc. Even more valuable is when purchasing used or vintage drums or cymbals. Just think of the poor souls like myself who were not ripped off due to a lack of knowedge because of the gracious (and free!) expert opinions of guys like Steve (tamadrm) and Harry Conway. MVPs in my book. Plus conversing with drummers from other countries. Fun stuff. Thanks DW !

p.s. Don't forget the drama and knowledge that Sticks brings to the table too :)

I am still trying to decide what to say if anything! :)

I haven’t learned that drummers are the coolest people on the planet, regardless of age, location, style prefs, etc. Because I knew that already.

Well first and foremost...Thank you, Bernhard!

Secondly, thank you to all of the members who have been so helpful, accepting and encouraging for me. Without this site, I'm not sure I would still be playing. Whenever I got stuck or frustrated or just had a silly question, someone was always there to help me through and give me the pat on the back, kick in the arse or answer I needed.

And the value of being able to talk to the high level of musicians, both pro and amateur, that are here is as the commercial says....Priceless.

As you can see, this post marks 1000 for me so I figure I must have found something of value here. Whatever it is, it definitely keeps me coming back!

Happy Drumming!

For me, getting back to drumming after a 6 year hiatus, the wealth of info I've found on this site has been invaluable even tho I've been here for only a couple of months. From basic stuff like drum gear and practicing methods to just about generally anything and everything drumming and music related, this place has saved me from many possible headaches.

And, in a positive way, provided me with quite a few more! 6 months ago I didn't know what rudiments were and now I'm reading up on the Moeller technique.

So to anyone involved in the site and the forums a big thank you for making my life easier!

I spent almost two months browsing and searching and reading up before even posting anything, the amount of interesting stuff here made for many nights of going to sleep way too late....

I'm starting to sound like a brown nose so I better stop now.

I'll never learn! You can't make me!

Yeah, this place is fantastic. I probably spend more time on this forum than any others. It's filled the void of my jazz discussion board (which went belly-up because a bunch of idiots took over the site) as well as drumming, which I never really had a forum for before.

Thanks, of course, to Bernhard for the vision to put this place together. It's the single best resource for those who play the drums -- not exactly a niche market in the world of music, as it's a musical instrument that's in practically every band. How many people can claim such a thing, in this day and age, about anything on the internet? Amazing.

Thanks to Jon for his just-right moderation (not too quick with the ban hammer, but no delay in handling the sh**-disturbers) and professional insights. And for the Weird Al CD he sent me thanks to that isolated drum track contest I won a couple years ago :)

And thanks to all the regulars here who make this place special. I really don't know of another place anywhere, on the internet or otherwise, where I can find out something about literally anything I might be curious about in the realm of drumming.

I have learned SO much here. My arrival at this site occurred in parallel with a huge spike in my own personal musical growth. And that's NOT a coincidence.

I can learn from the world-famous drummers who contribute here to amazing cats like Gvd, who is an amazing player and teacher who has that burning love for the music I can so relate to. I got Bo with his crazy skills and musical credentials, Larry with his professionalism and experience, Andrew and his amazing blogs and video demonstrations, Andy with his unmatched wisdom about drum construction, Grea with her off-the-charts creativity... and I could go on and on.

There are dozens who have left an indelible mark on me. Anyone else play a gig or practice and have in their mind something someone here has said? I do this all the time.

I do love it here. Thanks, everyone.

I'm brand new here, and I must say that I'm really excited about this community I really appreciate the help you brought to the newbs like me, I recently ask'd for help in a song bridge and got a very professional chart! (thanks to Alain Rieder btw). I'm hoping to stay here for a looong time. thanks to everybody! from Mexico

Last edited:
I have learned so much since joining this forum! It has shaped my drumming and the decisions that I make in my drumming purchases.
I have been a member here for a very long time but my post count is so low considering. First, I am a man of few words and, secondly, there is just so much on here to take in!

Thank you, Bernard, for supplying us with such a great place!

I guess, with my post count, it would be an understatement to say I practically live here. I only wish I had contributed as much as I have taken away. I would not be playing the drums today without this forum. After a 32 year break, I found this place quite by accident. I had seen an ad online to win a set of DW drums. I entered as often as possible, and assume that one day through a typo, or typing DW came upon this website and forum. After realizing that such a forum and body of international drummers existed I began to read as much of the daily posts as possible and found out that drums were within my budget, decided why not. The rest is history.

But let's also not forget the fact that people like Jon, the real pros, take the time to stop by and help us amatuers and hobbyists from time to time. There is not one aspect of drumming that hasn't been touched on in my years here and can only thank the admin and other drummers for putting up with me.

While my wife probably doesn't like that forum too much ;), I absolutely love it. I check
in daily as well, and I think I'm not even aware of what it gives me!

I'm not quite 30 yet, but before joining DW I've only been an active member at one
other forum for some years, which isn't as multifaceted as DW. Other than that I've
never been a member of a forum. My English would have been too bad without a doubt,
and for some reason I've never even checked out German forums.

Thanks for all the contributors, thanks for the great moderators, and thanks Bernhards!
It's been an inspiration and a wealth of knowledge here for me, and last but not least thanks
to DW I know I'M NOT ALONE :)!!

Many good years to come hopefully!

Last edited:
I wouldn't know where to start,just incredible place. There is no end to the knowledge on here by drummers eager to share...Guys like Steve,Jon,all the instructors,and the list goes on putting up with dump questions and remarks from us newbies. A year ago I was welcomed by a dude from Australia...PFG....My wife says I am on here every day...Thank you Bernhard.

Last edited:
Forums in general are a nice form of communication amongst folk with common interests, and this one is A+

What I learned over the years(many) for any profession/interest is that you can learn something new everyday, if you want to, and in most cases, there is always somebody better. This goes for every talent, skill, or ability, drumming just being one of them.

Basically, communication is a form of grounding, humbleness mainly because the internet has brought the public library to your home in an audio/visual format. Younger drummers probably appreciate this, and if they don't, consider what once was............

Us children born in the 50's and 60's, other than snare lessons had AM radio, then FM, and records, either 45's or LPs.............we tried to play what we heard and interpreted the best we could.

Along came TV like AB and other shows featuring bands, but they faked it(a crash and the cymbal remains still....lol), so that didn't provide a visual of what the drummer was doing(except BR on Carson until live performances came along with DK's Rock Concert and actually attending concerts. We finally started to see the chops for real.

Most of the concerts I attended back in the 70's, I purposely got tickets "BEHIND", the drummer, if available to watch the drummer play, or an angle side stage because other than the tunes, I wanted to see what the H he was doing on parts I couldn't discern from an LP.

I hope young players appreciate modern technology because I do very much. In other words, I rode the same TFE ride Peart did because I saw every hand/foot in his video as an example of what I am saying. Advance that 10 plus years plus the info on this site, and you have the best drumming instruction any musician would ever want.

IMO, this is a good and active site.

I find that message boards provide the best source of information because it comes from real people.

There are of course all kinds of people and you have to understand where they are coming from, but the information is there.

Off the top of my head, I can't say specifically what I've learned here but I know it has been beneficial to me.

This site is not only the most informative and entertaining drum site on the internet, but pretty much the most amusing website of any kind.

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Man, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Fellow, and The Openhander.

Most of the concerts I attended back in the 70's, I purposely got tickets "BEHIND", the drummer, if available to watch the drummer play, or an angle side stage because other than the tunes, I wanted to see what the H he was doing on parts I couldn't discern from an LP.

I finally discovered this little tip. Tickets are cheap behind the stage as well. Took me 30 years to figure out that secret. Got close seats behind stage for Elton John show and was treated to a great view of Nigel Olsson at work. $28 ticket.

This site is not only the most informative and entertaining drum site on the internet, but pretty much the most amusing website of any kind.

Ever since I started coming here I've been enthralled by the continued adventures of Aussie Lady, Famous Dude, Polite French Chap, Mr Makey-Drums, East-Coast Blues Guy, West-Coast Knowledgeable Geezer, Nice Beginner Lady, Many Posts Man, Aussie Bloke, Other Aussie Bloke, Jazz Man With Beard, Teaching Guy With Enormous Beard, Occasionally Banned Man, Occasionally Banned Man's Nemesis, The Scandanavian Party, German Guitarist-Turned-Drummer Fellow, and The Openhander.

He he, nick names for the nick names...and I can tell you who just about every one of these is...we are a close-knit group! Well-played BTC....

Not sure if I'm in the mix, but it's a damn funny post :) :) :)

got every one of them

nicely done

Back