musical vs analytical listening

I don't really like Toto's sound, first time I hear anything by them. THey must be from the 90s or so maybe, 2011 music is way different.

I'm 21 almost 22. I meant no disrespect haha, but we can't all have the same taste in music.

Well I fast forwarded a bit and the guitar solo is pretty trippy.

I found that cross training on other instruments helped broaden my perception of music.

hi guys
i watched benny grebs dvd recently and the listening section (or the musical part) made me think about my approach to or my perception of drumming. i started to feel like i'm not listening to the music as if it were music, but rather analytically. i tend to analyze the drums, thinking "could i play that", and tapping along to find out what kind of beat the drummer plays. besides that i think i'm picking the music i listen to from an analytical perspective as well. i think i choose music which is rather complex and/or fast. this unfortunately results in me not being able to play my "favourite" songs, which again results in frustration.

i sometimes feel like music is something "random" to me (if you understand what i'm saying) and it seem that i don't look for an overall feel or groove or a certain mood in music. for me music has become a pattern.

i don't know if anyone else feels the way i do (i used the search engine but i didn't find very much), but maybe someone can help me become a bit more musical instead of analytical. btw. i have played in a band and i'm currently starting over with another band but i still feel rather weird :D
greetings

I think its a good thing you are feeling the way you do sir. What you are feeling seems almost llike a warning sign, or something that should inspire you to see/feel/listen to the music differently.

Recently, i've really gotten into the band breaking benjamin. While their music is great, I feel their drummer, Chad Szeliga is by far their most talented part of the band. While at times he explodes, other times he keeps it simple (he actually won the guitar center drumm off one year which shows he is one of those freaks.)
If you listen to alot of their louder/harder songs, you will probably just see him as most drumemrs in that style, but when I hear some of their softer songs, you can hear the genius of his playing.
I've watched some videos on youtube that he made, explaining how he came up with the beats he did, and he really really thinks about it.
Its one thing to create a beat, its another to make it musical.
When it comes to 4/4 styles of drumming, all you really need to 'get by' is a basic 4 on the floor rock beat... But as you have realized, becoming great is not about satisficing. I've played through many different drum books, played with countless bands and musicians, and come up with beats way more complicated than what Chad does. But I'm no where near as musical as Chad.
If you were to hear the song "I will not bow" by Breaking Benjamin, he really keeps things simple yet totally effective. My first time playing along with that song, I just made up my own beat. And listening to the recording, I actually liked what I played alot, but I realized it didn't compliment the music.

From what I've read, it seems like you are at the point where you can probably play and create any beat imaginable, so now you need to adapt what you know, and ask yourself "Exactly what note should I play where, and how should I play it.''

From what I've read, it seems like you are at the point where you can probably play and create any beat imaginable, so now you need to adapt what you know, and ask yourself "Exactly what note should I play where, and how should I play it.''

unfortunately thats not true. thats also why i wrote that its frustrating at times when i always like complex/fast music but then i can't play to my favourite songs :(

//EDIT:
also, i want to say here, that i'm often having wrist problems -.-

Back