Iron Cobras gone, welcome DW 5000

dkerwood

Silver Member
One by one I'm completing my master plan to sell the unnecessary junk from my last drum purchase. First, I sold the broken cymbals and B8 Pro hats that came with the new kit to the student that bought my old kit. The high school I work at has agreed to buy the Pearl Icon rack that I don't want/need (although I'm still waiting for the School Board to approve the sale). I was able to trade in the generic Tama hi hat stand for some much needed new heads.

And then there were two: the unnecessary, clunky old Iron Cobra double pedal, and the Paiste Sound Formula Ride that I don't like as much as my A medium ride or my K Custom Flat Ride.

The IC's finally found a new home yesterday when we got home from visiting family. I had been talking to this guy for several days before we left town. He wanted to do some trades, but I ultimately wanted to replace this with a good quality single pedal, so I needed cash. He was unwilling/unable to make the deal, so we left to visit family with IC in hand. Well, he contacts me as we're on the road, maybe an hour away from home, and says he was able to scrape together the cash and would like to take it. He was a little annoyed when he found out we were gone, but agreed to wait. True to his word, he came over and picked it up last night.

To make things even sweeter, as we were getting ready to make the 5 hour drive home, I got an email from a guy on Craigslist who had a DW 5000 single pedal. Normally, he'd be 3 hours away from my house, but we'd be pulling right through on our way home. Best part of all, the DW cost me $50 less than what I made off of the IC. The guy also had a H&B snare case that I bought for $30, so it's all good.

Now, as soon as I can sell the Paiste, the transition will be complete. I'll have offloaded everything from the old set that I didn't want (well, save for some odds and ends like an LP Ice Bell and a crotale), and in doing so, I'll have brought the price of my beautiful GMS kit down to an even more ridiculous low. Of course, I still need to sell my old Ludwig set... sigh...

So far, after selling and trading unnecessary stuff from my drum purchase, the cost of the GMS maple drums has come down to $350. With luck, the ride can knock another $100-150 off of that.

Oh, yeah, I got a great deal. :)

The DW 5000 is an awesome pedal. I prefer it to my current 9000.
I dunno about getting rid of the Sound Formula, though. Those were pretty sweet cymbals...

The DW 5000 is an awesome pedal. I prefer it to my current 9000.
I dunno about getting rid of the Sound Formula, though. Those were pretty sweet cymbals...

Side by side with my old Zildjian Avedis 20" Medium Ride, the Paiste just can't compare. I've tried playing it by itself, but it's just missing... something.

Back