DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Platinum Member

Default Bought an e-kit (Yamaha DD65) - Lessons off YouTube, DVDs or teacher?

On behalf of Andrew (username AfxTwn)...
(We're still figuring out some account/login problems he's having.)

----
I'm just after some advice about learning to play drums really, I've just bought a Yamaha DD65 electronic drum kit and wanted to know whether to get lessons off You Tube or buy a DVD or to get lessons from an actual teacher. A lot of the lessons I've seen seem to use full acoustic kits and for reasons of space, money and noise (not wanting to upset my neighbours), I can't get one of those (or even a full-size electronic kit).
----
Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Bought an e-kit (Yamaha DD65) - Lessons off YouTube, DVDs or teacher?

Hi, I'm Andrew (the person Arky referred to), first thanks very much to Arky for posting this for me. As he said, I am having some problems logging in at the moment and so couldn't really post anything until now.

I'm looking for some advice about learning to play the drums, I am an absolute beginner and I have some specific needs that prevent me from going down the usual routes to learn an instrument. I have autism and so going to an actual music teacher would be very challenging for me as it would be a long process of trying to get to know the person and feel comfortable with them before actually learning the drums. Also, I've looked for some tutors in my area and there aren't any nearby and so there would be the extra stress of traveling further away to see someone, I'm not sure that would be something I could do.

As I mentioned in Arky's post, I have just bought a Yamaha DD65 electronic drum-pad kit as I don't have the space for a full-size kit and I don't want an acoustic kit or anything that would make a lot of noise. I don't want to disturb my neighbours and I am also quite sensitive to noise.

I had read a lot of good reviews for the DD65 and seen some videos of it on You Tube and so I thought this would be a good compromise. I've bought a snare drum stand for it and some birch rod sticks (I had read these can help to reduce the noise when hitting the pads and I do notice a difference in sound from using the regular drumsticks that came with the kit).

As the kit was second-hand it came with some books: Drums For Dummies, Simply Drums by Cameron Skews and Absolute Beginners Drums. As I am more of a visual person and find it difficult to understand some books, I thought a DVD or You Tube videos might be better but I'm not sure where to start as there are a lot out there.

I know you can get some drum lessons online such as mikeslessons.com which seems to be quite popular here but as I am in the UK and that is an American site, I think the time difference would be an issue.

So I'd appreciate it if I could get some advice here, I have looked through some of the threads already but as I have additional needs I thought it best to start my own and explain the situation.

Thanks very much for reading this long post and for any help people can provide.

Andrew
Old 09-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Bought an e-kit (Yamaha DD65) - Lessons off YouTube, DVDs or teacher?

Hi Andrew,

I must admit rightaway I don't know much about autism but it seems to me you are taking a huge step forward becoming member of a discussion forum and starting to play drums even though you are sensitive to noise. Congratulations! Do you think you might eventually play in a band or would that be stretching the limits too far?

With regard to lessons, I believe a "real" teacher is more efficient than a DVD. I have bought the Great Hands for a Lifetime as well as the Groove Essentials dvd's by Tommy Igoe, who I think is a great teacher and drummer, but I can't get myself to do my homework regularly. I am thinking of taking lessons.

You said travelling to a drum teacher would be too stressful for you, what about the drum teacher coming over to you and have the lesson playing on your own drums?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the world of drumming. Another suggestion I'd make is to find a teacher that gives Skype lessons. You can choose any teacher throughout the world to give you lessons on Skype as long as they offer that and many do.

Good luck to you.

John
Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Andrew, and a warm welcome.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If by any chance you live near me (Wrexham) you could do an awful lot worse than my teacher, who would go to your house. His day job is a learning support assistant, and he's very very good at it. I think he already teaches a drum student who has autism; he certainly has a Down's student, and I know he's a very sensitive and gifted teacher. He plays drums pretty damn well too!

You can learn a lot from books, DVDs and online lessons, but the main drawback is the lack of feedback. Ideally, you need somebody with eyes and ears, and although we like answering questions on DW, it's very helpful to have somebody right there to ask.

The Skype suggestion is a good one, if you could manage it.

Please let us know how you get on.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Renegade

Hey all, bless yer cotton socks, but he said he can't go to teachers. Personal presence can be too intense and distracting for people with autism. Andrew, would you be okay with Skype lessons - videophone?

If not then it narrows down to DVDs, YouTubes and books.

The top DVDs are more reputable than YouTube videos, since you KNOW they have been done by master players like Jojo Mayer (eg. Great Hands for a Lifetime DVD) or Tommy Igoe etc.

The above is just what I have heard here because I learned to play from watching other drummers play live, books and magazines (no computers back then).

Still, there are some quality YouTube instructional videos (eg. forum member Zack Albetta), the hard part is knowing whether they are any good or not. Pay close attention to the Likes and Dislikes. If there's a higher than usual percentage of dislikes on an instructional drumming video then the chances are that it's not legit.

When checking comments to see what other people think about the video's quality, it's important to assess whether negative comments are trolling or sincere. Ignore the emotional stuff and look for the rational informational comments.

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 09-09-2013, 05:03 AM

Hi and welcome Andrew,

I'll second the suggestion of lessons via Skype. You can get lessons from some great drummers in the comfort of your own home.

I'll also recommend Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands for a Lifetime" DVD. Some of the exercises might seem a little overwhelming when you watch, but don't feel like you have to play that fast right out of the gate. Do what's taught in the DVD at a tempo that's comfortable for you and speed it up gradually.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 AM

Lessons are important but you can start with watching videos online on technique/grip by masters like David Weckl etc. My teachers has given my worse advice than I've been able to find online. Had one teacher that told me to grip the stick really tight to kill the rebound after an accent which got my hand really hurt, got something sticking up from my hand now =/
The problem with youtube is that you get random lessons on thousands different topics. You need to focus on on the basics in the start not watching 100 lessons on different bass-drum pedal technique/single hand roll that is just not important the first years!
Rudiments is what you need to focus on.

I would start with this series if I were you:
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/we...er-lessons.php
and:
http://www.vicfirth.com/education/ru...strokeroll.php
Scroll down for more guidance on the rudiments page...

Don't forget to have fun as well though!
Learn "the money beat" right away and try to play a long to some AC/DC tunes for example...
"Big balls" was the first song I learned completely.

There is also an awesome drum-"game" for e-drums called DTXmania check it out if you can find it online it's truly great and I spent thousands of hours playing it.(Don't fool yourself though, it's not practicing drums but it's fun!)