Hannah Ford

Fair enough, DA. I have a lot of respect for you coming to the forum and laying it out like that.

First, I don't think Steve Hass is the best drummer in the world. I never said that. I appreciate his skill as a time player and his level of improvisation. At that time, I was checking out lots of Hass at the recommendation of other drummer whom I know and respect. Jojo Mayer is an unmatched talent, but hearing him play swing/jazz time, is not something I enjoy, or something respected by jazz musicians. That's what I was saying back then. Nothing hateful. Just the truth as I see and hear it. Hannah Ford at that time, had no gigs, many falsified credits on her resume, and her website was full of unrealistic accolades. I just call a spade a spade. If you think music is about the whole package, that's fine. I don't. Music is about music. Not 6 pack abs, tattoos, a large tommy lee penis, or a modelesque girl. If you have those things, great! But you still have to deliver like a pro. Pop culture is not music. I heard Hannah with Prince. Her time is still very shaky. It's not even close to being funky. Especially if you listen to Prince with Michael Bland, or John Blackwell. Feel free to call me whatever you want. I speak what I hear. It's not hating when it's real. It's what I hear. Like people have said, image has more to do with this than musicianship. End of story. There are plenty of drummers who share my sex that play really great. Cindy Blackman, Sheila E, Nickie Glaspie, Kim Thompson etc. This is about shtick. Not music. Prince himself doesn't sound as good to my ears backed up by these semi-pros. I play the drums, this instrument we all love, but I'm also an avid music fan. A real listener. This is my opinion. Had Hannah sounded as funky and skilled as Sheila E, I'd have nothing to say. But she sounds like the same drummer we were talking about 2 year ago, except now, Prince is singing and playing guitar.

I do hate to chime in on my own thread here on something like this, 'cause I definitely bear no ill-will to anyone, and since you say you're not a hater, I'll take that at face value.

I probably sympathize with DrummingApril because I probably sounded exactly like this before I got into college. So I'm wondering if April is in that 18-27 age range and just super critical. Good or bad, I think being that way was beaten out of me by the time I hit my 20s. I've had good teachers and players surrounding me (not to mention parents and family) that just took me to task on being critical of others. This was done to me mostly in the form of "if you can do better, then we'll listen to you" types of lessons. And really, the old adage of "If you can't say anything nice, why are you even talking?" as my dad would tell me, rings totally true 100% of the time (as I've found out late during my 47 years on the planet).

My point is, I'm old enough to know that people don't suddenly change in two years as a player, and whether or not Hannah is funky enough, or her timing is good enough, or whatever, that sounds a bit nit-picky doesn't it? And I figure everybody needs as many friends in this business as they can get, and being known as the outspoken player that will point out stuff like that certainly doesn't help. Sure, defend your position about how you feel about ol' Hannah, while proclaiming your innocence about "not being a hater", and the effect is the same. You come across as bitter, and I'm sorry you feel that way. But the reality of critics is that their criticism says more about themselves than it does about the person they're criticizing, and you're not the first to do it, but it happens so much that I'm not surprised. What does surprise me is that people who do it don't recognize that it's already been done before, and that people like me see it.

I've played in a number of bands with critical people and looking back on it, I was glad those projects didn't last. Even within the realm of my employer, I was glad to see certain projects and shows just end, partly because of the music, partly because of having to deal with some of the crew. I tell everyone, if there's just one person on the show that's not super-positive and professional, the whole thing becomes a major drag. I'm just saying that at a certain point, you learn to let go of stuff and make the best of it. When I look at it in terms of the amount of money made, I get paid the same rate if everybody is happy or if I have to deal with a few that feel they're above what we're doing. I much prefer everybody being happy. Then the time goes by fast and we're all having a good time.

This maybe a personal querie, but I'm wondering what your friends say about you? Do they like having you around as a player and a person, or are they the first ones to leave the gig when its done? Do they recommend you to other people looking for drummers or is it crickets around the phone? (Notice that I'm not accusing you of not gigging at all, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt). I apologize, I don't know you from Adam, and I'm not attacking you in any way - there's just alot of stuff I've learned through my life, especially about making it into and living with bands of musicians, and you probably already know this, but it ain't always about your groove or your chops.

And how would I know this? Because like I said, I'm no saint and its happened to me already.

Well done Hannah in playing with a legend and delivering the goods in front of thousands of people. Great gig to pick up!

April , just looking at this Billboard awards video I can see where you're coming from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__eci6YNWfg

Does this mean Prince is saving money by moving away from his large funky showbands to playing a small straight rock band? I agree that the band has less drive than the top rock players. Maybe Prince wants to play something more raw and rootsy without so much gloss to be different?

Personally, I find it refreshing to hear some old fashioned rock with some push and pull in it.

Just read Hannah's interview in Rhythm and gave a listen to PlectrumElectrum: whoooaaaahh she rocked my socks off! I can't get the title track out of my head and it's great fun to drum along with.

The album is rather old school, Hendrix' influence is very clear and I'm loving it. Prince did a great job with this and so did the girls of 3rdeyegirl.

Interesting this thread just came back to life, and no one mentioned her national performance on Saturday Night Live this past weekend.

Anyone see her? I thought she played well and played with power, and was juggling the backing vocals to boot. I was definitely tapping my foot! That opening 8-minute melody was epic.

Interesting this thread just came back to life, and no one mentioned her national performance on Saturday Night Live this past weekend.

Anyone see her? I thought she played well and played with power, and was juggling the backing vocals to boot. I was definitely tapping my foot! That opening 8-minute melody was epic.

I know! I just watched it, and I thought it was great all the way around.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/watch-princes-incredible-eight-minute-snl-medley-20141102

I think D. April's assessment of Hannah Ford is spot on. It's great that she's scored this gig, for after all her dad has made a career out of her--of trying to promote her no matter what. If you listen closely to Hannah's playing on a variety of videos--from the opening at Vic's to various music store shows--her playing isn't really that great. She's good, but she's no Allison Miller or Sheila E. or Terri Lyne Carrington, etc. I think she is a perfect example of how a decent amount of talent and practice coupled with relentless PR can find one some kind of success.

I think the folks here attacking April for being "jealous" are completely missing the point. DA's critical assessment is honest and smart, and just because a musician finds public or financial success does not mean that they are "good" at what they do. Kiss is a case in point. Counter to what Bo said about critics revealing more about themselves than what they critique, honest critics perform a vital role for society: they provide suggestions to the public for sorting out good from bad, thoughtful from pretentious, sincerity from sellout. When people resort to attacking intelligent or legitimate criticism of something popular, that tells me a lot more about how complacent we have become as a society. "We're America--we are all winners here, don't damage my or my child's self-esteem," etc., etc. Truth is, there are various levels of talent and intelligence, and there's nothing wrong with being critical or discriminating about that.

The sad state of affairs in American and Western culture now is that image and suggestion continue to easily dominate over talent (the great postmodern trick). Good ol' Simon Cowell and all of his shite American Idol-style creations are perfect examples of this practice. This is the kind of culture we get when we let thoughtless MBA types and a poorly educated public direct the arts and taste. And, no, I'm not being elitist here; I just sincerely value education, being well read, and working hard. In this particular case, anyone who has studied music significantly--whether as a player/performer, student of music or avid listener, or both--can spot Hannah's flaws easily. This does not mean that she's a "bad drummer," but don't try to argue she's super talented just because she plays with Prince.

If you support Hannah, then that's great--that's your choice. But don't beat up on someone for delivering intelligent criticism. If DA was just resorting to name-calling, that would be one thing; but her criticisms are totally valid--all you have to do is listen to Hannah's playing and research the over zealous way she's been marketed. That will tell a perceptive mind all they need to know.

Last edited:
... just because a musician finds public or financial success does not mean that they are "good" at what they do. Kiss is a case in point....

That bit leapt out at me.

I'm no Kiss fan, but they are very good at what they do. And what they do is entertain.

Technical facility is but one part of what a musician/entertainer does. And the dichotomy goes deeper than supplanting musical talent with circus schtick, outrageous make up and theatrics. Bob Dylan is no great vocalist, and yet he is a great singer.

Punk rock grew out of the over-produced stuff that was prevalent in the 70's, and hopefully there will be a similar swing of the pendulum against the Idle/Eggs Factor/Country's Not Talent stuff that is currently ubiquitous.

I know who Hannah Ford is but not much more. Of course she makes the most of her non-drum-related assets; she'd be stupid not to. Sheila E does the same. Why the hell wouldn't they? It's all a package deal...you try to deal with whatever package you happen to have.

That bit leapt out at me.

I'm no Kiss fan, but they are very good at what they do. And what they do is entertain.

Technical facility is but one part of what a musician/entertainer does. And the dichotomy goes deeper than supplanting musical talent with circus schtick, outrageous make up and theatrics. Bob Dylan is no great vocalist, and yet he is a great singer.

Punk rock grew out of the over-produced stuff that was prevalent in the 70's, and hopefully there will be a similar swing of the pendulum against the Idle/Eggs Factor/Country's Not Talent stuff that is currently ubiquitous.

I know who Hannah Ford is but not much more. Of course she makes the most of her non-drum-related assets; she'd be stupid not to. Sheila E does the same. Why the hell wouldn't they? It's all a package deal...you try to deal with whatever package you happen to have.

Good points, James. The entertainer factor is important too.

Your post reminds me of what Gene Simmons told Terri Gross during a Fresh Air interview years ago: "I didn't want to be in a band, I wanted to be a brand." He was unabashedly open about Kiss being more of a business venture.

I think D. April's assessment of Hannah Ford is spot on. It's great that she's scored this gig, for after all her dad has made a career out of her--of trying to promote her no matter what. If you listen closely to Hannah's playing on a variety of videos--from the opening at Vic's to various music store shows--her playing isn't really that great. She's good, but she's no Allison Miller or Sheila E. or Terri Lyne Carrington, etc. I think she is a perfect example of how a decent amount of talent and practice coupled with relentless PR can find one some kind of success.

I think the folks here attacking April for being "jealous" are completely missing the point. DA's critical assessment is honest and smart, and just because a musician finds public or financial success does not mean that they are "good" at what they do. Kiss is a case in point. Counter to what Bo said about critics revealing more about themselves than what they critique, honest critics perform a vital role for society: they provide suggestions to the public for sorting out good from bad, thoughtful from pretentious, sincerity from sellout. When people resort to attacking intelligent or legitimate criticism of something popular, that tells me a lot more about how complacent we have become as a society. "We're America--we are all winners here, don't damage my or my child's self-esteem," etc., etc. Truth is, there are various levels of talent and intelligence, and there's nothing wrong with being critical or discriminating about that.

The sad state of affairs in American and Western culture now is that image and suggestion continue to easily dominate over talent (the great postmodern trick). Good ol' Simon Cowell and all of his shite American Idol-style creations are perfect examples of this practice. This is the kind of culture we get when we let thoughtless MBA types and a poorly educated public direct the arts and taste. And, no, I'm not being elitist here; I just sincerely value education, being well read, and working hard. In this particular case, anyone who has studied music significantly--whether as a player/performer, student of music or avid listener, or both--can spot Hannah's flaws easily. This does not mean that she's a "bad drummer," but don't try to argue she's super talented just because she plays with Prince.

If you support Hannah, then that's great--that's your choice. But don't beat up on someone for delivering intelligent criticism. If DA was just resorting to name-calling, that would be one thing; but her criticisms are totally valid--all you have to do is listen to Hannah's playing and research the over zealous way she's been marketed. That will tell a perceptive mind all they need to know.

So should I apologise for supporting an artist who does not have the "elite approved" stamp? Rather than calling yourselves intelligent and other people poorly educated, wouldn't it be less offensive to say it's just not your thing? Until one of your established opinion makers declares it OK? How many records must shel sell until she gets Ringo status?

Come on.
As safe as it is to hide in your elite shelter and pee on artists who may not be flawless but were lucky and talented enough to be hired by a major act, it is just as irrelevant.

Saw SNL. HF has really improved since starting with Prince last year. I look forward to seeing her progress in another year.

I feel bad reading this thread. There's one camp that doesn't appear to understand how the industry works, and how those with the most musical talent are not the ones you see on stage.

There's another camp that appears to be afraid to admit that life is essentially different for beautiful people.

Good stuff. I've always liked Prince. Let us not forget that HF is a drummer too, just like all of us. We should be rooting for her, and not tearing her down because of her success.

Last edited:
So here's what I think after watching a few of these videos and perusing some of the opinions on this thread: Prince is a great showman, a fairly talented musician, and a heck of a businessman. He's made a career out of reinventing himself every few years, and for the most part the buying public eats it up.

This reinvention, he wants a loud rock band with girls in it. Hannah Ford, who's put a lot of effort into being visible and playing pretty solidly, gets the call. The act is entertaining and she looks like she's a good fit for the act. She also looks like she's having fun. In the meantime, one of my favorite artists from my youth is still finding ways to be viable and marketable.

I think everyone wins.

Today I voted with my wallet and bought PlectrumElectrum - they actually had the CD package at my local Target, rather than save $$ by buying it via iTunes. This band rocks. The fact that they're pretty females doesn't change that. I'd go see them live if they come through LA again 😳

I think D. April's assessment of Hannah Ford is spot on. It's great that she's scored this gig, for after all her dad has made a career out of her--of trying to promote her no matter what. If you listen closely to Hannah's playing on a variety of videos--from the opening at Vic's to various music store shows--her playing isn't really that great. She's good, but she's no Allison Miller or Sheila E. or Terri Lyne Carrington, etc. I think she is a perfect example of how a decent amount of talent and practice coupled with relentless PR can find one some kind of success......

The sad state of affairs in American and Western culture now is that image and suggestion continue to easily dominate over talent

I think it's ironic that you make an argument that Hanna is not as good as Sheila E and then say Hannah is more image than talent.

Doesn't anyone remember Sheila E made a name for herself appear on stage and on MTV being 1/2 naked, kicking cymbals with her legs and once released an album called "Sex Cymbal"?

b16dc8ffea6bcfc7fd5bf7db94b5c18b.jpg

Sheila E. established her career playing up her image and sexual connotations.

If it's good for the goose, its good for the gander.

Remember Hannah Ford? I remember reading so many threads here and elsewhere that just trashed her. I thought she was a great player and then when she got the gig with Prince, everybody stopped talking about her. I wonder what happened there?

Anyway, I thought this might re-trigger some of you. Here she is behind Neil Pearts ’ Slingerland drumset, Chromey.

13A02D50-85BE-433A-9218-6C1366A7FD0D.jpeg

She's now Hannah Ford-Welton, and her and her husband Joshua (co-produced 3 Prince albums) are doing Christian Ministry related stuff now.

Back