Just got a Pearl Reference Series kit...

SgtThump

Platinum Member
My Ludwig Classic Maple set is 24/13/16/18 and I love it dearly. However, I wanted a second kit (okay, actually third) that is completely different than the Ludwig in every way. I think I've found it in the Pearl Reference Series.

I'm definitely in the honeymoon stage, so keep that in mind. But man, these things are built much better than I expected and they sound great! The quality oozes from these these drums. This kit is 20/10/12/14 and I'm still tuning and dialing it in. I made a video and am curious what you think of the tone and the tuning? Any input is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6490fF5LPFE

I've done some searched on here for Reference in the recent past and read a few threads, but does anyone else own or love these kits? (remember, honeymoon stage)

Attachments

• pearl_reference1.JPG
    pearl_reference1.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,934
Also, I wasn't out to spend $3k on another kit. I was looking around the $1,500 price range.

I got an AMAZING deal on this brand new Reference kit from Fred Pierce's Drum Studio here in St. Louis and only spent $200 more than that! Well, well, well worth that price (and honestly, probably worth the normal $3k street price when compared to other pro-level drums - in my opinion.)

But man, these things are built much better than I expected and they sound great! The quality oozes from these these drums. )

I've always felt this way about Pearl.. and I'm primarily a Sonor guy.. but I recognize what Pearl has had down with regard to manufacturing.. and have probably had it longer than anybody else..

Also.. Try a Ref. Pure when you get a chance.

Beautiful kit , Sergeant. And even a better price. Don't let the honeymoon period skew your perception, they are very well built and sound great, I've played a few.
I have a higher end Pearl kit too - very limited edition MHP bop kit - Masters Mahogany Premium. They sound unreal and are exceptionally well built. More bottom end than anything I own and I own 10 kits, from mid to high end.

Unfortunately, you won't get much love from this website on Pearl drums.
I don't get it.

Neal

Andy Doerschuk (the guy who publishes DRUM! magazine) has a set of these in the same sizes. I've sat in on them in the same room as I've played my Renowns and my friends early '80s Jasper Gretsch kit. The Pearls sound amazing. The kick and floor tom sound like much larger drums. The wood variations really work. Each drum has a nice round sound centered on it's own frequency range. They are definitely on my short list if I decide to upgrade from the Renowns.

That looks like a wonderful kit. I think that Pearls concept of different woods , bearing edges, etc. for each drum, to bring out it's full potential is a great idea. I think you'll love them. Congratulation.

When Pearl launched the Reference series, they did a clinic tour at half-dozen or so 5-star drum shops across the US. I took my daughter to Dales Drum Shop in Harrisburg. They had random drawings/giveaways at each stop with a grand prize drawing at the end of the tour. My daughter won the grand prize which was one of the kits used on the tour! 7-piece. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22. At the conclusion of the tour, Pearl took the kit back, re-headed and retuned it, and included a whole new hardware package. Retail value was over $11,000. We set it up in our family room and just stared at it. It was like a museum piece. Flawless in every respect. I didn't dare take it out on a gig (although my band members constantly nagged me to do so.) Too beautiful and WAY too heavy. Alas, we sold it finance my daughter's school class trip to Italy.

Thanks everyone! Very cool story rtliquid!

So... Does anyone have input on the sound in the video? Is that tuning where you'd expect it to be for 10/12/14 toms? I've struggled with it a tiny bit, just because I'm used to bigger drums.

I wish the power from that floor tom came across in the video, but it doesn't. It rings out for days and sounds killer to me.

Anytime I'm looking for a new kit, I always shop for Pearl drums!

to me those toms sound good, but a bit higher than where i'd usually have them. especially if you're using a 2ply skin.... kick is nice though.

Thanks! Yeah, they're higher than I'm used to as well. That 14" tom won't really go any lower and still have tone, so I tune up from there.

I can't play the video here at work, so I don't know what yours sound like. My kit shipped with ProTone heads which I'm not a fan of. My first order of business would be swapping them out.

I can't play the video here at work, so I don't know what yours sound like. My kit shipped with ProTone heads which I'm not a fan of. My first order of business would be swapping them out.

Are those the heads that are on their cheaper sets? I think so? My kit came with USA Remo clear Emperors on the tom batters, clear Ambassadors on the tom resos, and powerstroke 3 heads on the bass drum.

They do have the "Reference" logo on them, but I believe they're the real deal USA Remos. (they say Remo USA too).

That's another nice thing... I don't have a NEED to change heads like on some other kits.

It's been quite a few years ago. I do remember it came with the PS3 on the kick, but I'm almost positive they were the ProTones on the toms. Sounds like they changed their policy (for the better)

I bet you that Evans EC2 heads will do the trick for the toms. You'll be able to tune them lower will still getting a nice very warm tone.

It's been quite a few years ago. I do remember it came with the PS3 on the kick, but I'm almost positive they were the ProTones on the toms. Sounds like they changed their policy (for the better)

Yea, I bought a Pearl Piccolo a while back that came with Remo heads. I think pearl gave up on the Protones from all of the complaints.

Nice kit! Congrats. As a fellow classic maple owner with big tubs, I long for some "opposite but just as nice" direction as well.

Nice kit! Congrats. As a fellow classic maple owner with big tubs, I long for some "opposite but just as nice" direction as well.

Thanks man! So far, this Pearl set fits the bill nicely for me. It's different in every single way to my Ludwig kit.

diecast hoops
modern lugs and hardware
different wood combinations
heavy shells
smaller sizes
clear heads

There really are no similarities, which is cool! I probably would've looked a little more into the Tama Starclassic and sets like that before jumping on these Pearls, but that's only because the Pearl's should've cost twice as much as everything else I was considering.

Now I'm very happy (again, honeymoon!) ha ha

Yeah, I've been looking at the starclassic performer b/b for the difference factor. Do you know what the difference is between the reference and the reference pure?

When Pearl launched the Reference series, they did a clinic tour at half-dozen or so 5-star drum shops across the US. I took my daughter to Dales Drum Shop in Harrisburg. They had random drawings/giveaways at each stop with a grand prize drawing at the end of the tour. My daughter won the grand prize which was one of the kits used on the tour! 7-piece. 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22. At the conclusion of the tour, Pearl took the kit back, re-headed and retuned it, and included a whole new hardware package. Retail value was over $11,000. We set it up in our family room and just stared at it. It was like a museum piece. Flawless in every respect. I didn't dare take it out on a gig (although my band members constantly nagged me to do so.) Too beautiful and WAY too heavy. Alas, we sold it finance my daughter's school class trip to Italy.

Cool story.

Back