Doubles with Cross Stick

I've been struggling with this lately: getting quick double using cross stick. What do I practice or what is the general motion of doing quick doubles with cross stick?

The motion for doing quick double cross sticks is the same as doing quick double strokes--two quick strokes. The difference for me, however, is that with double strokes, I do a wrist stroke and then finger stroke, but with a cross stick doubling, I do a finger stroke and THEN a wrist stroke. Hopefully you've worked on getting different sounds out of your scross sticking, and know the difference in sound between using your fingers, using your wrist (with a finger cavity), and using a closed-knuckle fist to get different amounts of stick sound. Play around with whatever motions feel the easiest in quick succession, and go from there. Good luck!

Do you mean 2 strokes with one hand using a cross stick? I assume you mean rim click, there's a few different terms for that.

I am assuming you mean the stick across the snare, palm down, hitting the rim for a rim click?

If so, I'd say no trick other than practice. the speed comes with practice. I find a basic samba pattern (right hand on ride, left doing rim clicks) is good exercise for this kind of movement.

I'm guessing you mean rim clicks here, like Stewart Copeland style playing, no?

If so, there is indeed a different approach needed compared to natural doubles on the drum head. It's more from the wrist and the grip is essential. Don't press too hard on the skin or you'll kill the sound too.

As for speed, I don't think there is a substitution for good old practise. Learn doubles (16th notes) on hihat and rim click with a bass drum pulse on each quarter. Then shift to inverted doubles between hihat and RC. With a bit of time you'll get the required leverage on the stick in order to snap out two quick doubles. Eventually you can try triplets - hihat followed by 2 doubles on the RC (phased both as triplets and 16ths).

Experiment with where you grip the stick too i.e. closer to tip or the butt. This varies depending on hand size and stick etc. If you find the sweet spot of the stick this can make the whole motion much easier.

This device might help.
You can make one out of an old rim.

I use one and I love it. It makes cross sticking easier for me.

rru1310-xl-01.jpg

I struggle with this too! I saw Ben on, My Cym.Com play some triples a couple of times, and couldn't hardly believe it. I can't play 2 very fast. I guess we just need to work on it more. I don't have the need to use that very often, so I really don't work on it. I really should though, it's pretty cool.

How fast do you need to get? I just use my thumb and index finger to tap it as many times as I need. My 2 digits do the tapping and the heel of my hand presses the butt of the stick against the head.

Just like you do it I bet.

I don't understand the question. It seems like there's only one way to do it, pick it up and let it down again.

Yes that at 2:45 in first vid is a 'rim click', or what some say are playing 'cross stick'.

Stick goes between thumb index finger, back of hand pushes down the stick on snare head and taps on rim of the snare...the taps being singles or doubles.

I think it's just a matter of :
- finding the sweet spot on the snare where the cross-stick rings out
- finding the right grip/ pivot point
- use yout thumb and fingers with a light grip so you don't choke the stick

Also, I've always referred to this as a 'cross-stick'. The term 'rim click' just sounds wimpy to me.. As it.s not a 'click' sound. It's supposed to simulate a clave or woodblock feel.

I think the rim click came around to make it distinct from 'cross-sticking', where you cross your hands - but not a problem! Those are called 'cross-overs'!

I'd like to see the term 'rim-click' banished to the drum heap!

I think the rim click came around to make it distinct from 'cross-sticking', where you cross your hands - but not a problem! Those are called 'cross-overs'!

I'd like to see the term 'rim-click' banished to the drum heap!

I think the term rim click is fairly self explanatory. 'Cross stick' on the other hand could mean anything from church to anger management.

practice doubles with no sticks just open handed and wristed ..... like slapping you fingers on a counter top .... or messing around tapping a djembe

same motion

as for the cross stick itself .... I see many players make the mistake of having the back end of the stick right against the hoop

keep the back end of the stick....the point closest to your elbow ... about 1.5 to 2 inches from the hoop for a nice clean "knock"

... also not sure where the confusion is coming from with the term "cross stick".... that is what is it commonly called

Last edited:
practice doubles with no sticks just open handed and
... also not sure where the confusion is coming from with the term "cross stick".... that is what is it commonly called

Well in jazz circles 'cross sticking' often means crossing the arms. I remember Joe Morello referring to it in his infamous book. Well worth studying.

Actually here's an old thread on the subject:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75945

But yeah I suppose its not really an issue is it? (maybe between drummers)

Well in jazz circles 'cross sticking' often means crossing the arms. I remember Joe Morello referring to it in his infamous book. Well worth studying.

I've never heard a cross over called a cross stick .... and I've been in jazz circles nearly my entire life and studied with many old time jazz greats who all called cross overs cross overs and cross stick cross stick

Towards the bottom of that thread you posted, there are people saying that this idea is wrong. Cross-stick has nothing to do with crossing your arms. "Sticking" does mean what to hit and in what order, but nobody really cares if you cross your arms to get to each thing or not. Guys do it sometimes, but usually it has to do with the visual appeal.

I think you should keep telling Tony about "jazz circles" though, because it's entertaining.

That's right. I remember that old thread. I was a bit staggered about the confusion then....and I'm still staggered by it now.

I dunno, I reckon it's you bloody Yanks that love to cause all this confusion. Twisting, turning, changing, rearranging perfectly acceptable terms in order to confuse the masses on drum forums. I long for a simpler time, when a young boy growing up in Oz was told to "cross stick" and he automatically laid the stick across the snare rim and clicked his 2 and 4's, instead of doing his best Krupa/Rich/Bonham impersonations by wildly swing his arms over and under one another. :)

Back