Weird Kit Youtube Drummer

GNRFAN

Has anyone checked out this guy before -

http://www.youtube.com/user/Drummer6248

Very weird set-up that doesn't look very comfortable at all, cymbals are way high up at funny angles not to mention the rest of the kit.

Interested to know some other opinions on the kit.

GNRFAN

As long as it works for him, it's fine with me

I reckon you should tell that to diosdue :p but seriously, he looks (and sounds) perfectly okay playing that kit so why shouldn't he play a kit like that if it's what he wants to play?

I like his playing, but I just don't get the kit at all.

I don't see the point of having his ride so high up where he is having to almost raise his arm past his head to play it.

That is one the most interesting kits that I have ever seen. Everything (except the cymbals) is close at hand. To Close! His ability to reach the components of his kit is amazing! I would like to see him play live with a band to see how he plays in that setting. He may not play ahead of the beat (as Mattsmith pointed out) if he was playing with live musicians. When I play to a recording I often have that same problem for some reason. He is talented!

Sorry guys. I just can't dig it. The playing, the kit, the erratic pulse, the absolute disregard for musical form...

UGH

My only gripe is the camera angle. It'd be a lot more interesting from the front or side, not just the back of his head.

I don't like his playing at all, but I like the fanaticism of building such a big kit and posting over 800 videos with it :).

I don't like his playing at all, but I like the fanaticism of building such a big kit and posting over 800 videos with it :).

I wish I had time to make one solo video...let alone over 800 of them...because if I did I had that much time to explore so many others songs it would probably help my playing more so.

Sorry guys. I just can't dig it. The playing, the kit, the erratic pulse, the absolute disregard for musical form...

UGH

I'm with you Jeff. Yet another example of a drum solo that leaves me flat. Not saying my solos are great, they aren't...yet! ha ha

I say good for that guy, whatever floats your boat, he seems to be having fun. Now saying the nice stuff, here is my problem (if it were my kit) I would sell half of those cymbals on Craigslist, lower that ride cymbal, loose the roto toms, and put the other toms at a better angle, however not my set and he seems to play them well, so who cares what I think..

That kit is like a big kids dream, millions of toms and cymbals.

Not sure I'd go for all those roto toms though. maybe a couple to expand a kit but that many is a bit ott. Plus the 16" and 18" rotos he has still sound higher than his normal toms.

Plus I think he seems kinda uncomfortable playing, I don't know if its his age (no offense) or the setup or what.

Good on him though for being committed to his playing and making over 800 vids. leg end. (I can't believe I've never seen him on youtube before!)

My arm would get way tired.. especially with the ride!

It seems like it might affect his technique and grip. Although he does play decently and knows how to get around the set-up.

Looks like he's having fun, but 800 videos is way too many with poor audio.

Yeah It does. Like others have said, There aren't any rules for setups. So if it works for him, good for him. Some of his videos are hit or miss though. Some good, some bad.

Back