Starclassic Birch (2000 series) fans

Drumquest2

To all players of TAMA Starclassic birch kits, what are your preferred heads and tunings for your toms, particularly if they're the accel sizes, -10x8,12x9,14x11,16x14? (the 16x14 has always seemed to lack enough attack and projection).
The heads I'm using are G2 coated batter(medium tension) and G1 clears for resonants at a slightly higher pitch than the batters).

To all players of TAMA Starclassic birch kits, what are your preferred heads and tunings for your toms, particularly if they're the accel sizes, -10x8,12x9,14x11,16x14? (the 16x14 has always seemed to lack enough attack and projection).
The heads I'm using are G2 coated batter(medium tension) and G1 clears for resonants at a slightly higher pitch than the batters).

I have this exact kit - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1320317#post1320317 - and I never liked the limited tonal warmth. I was able to achieve the exact right balance (for me) of attack, sustain and warmth with Aquarian Modern Vintage II heads. I use the Aquarian clear reso heads on the bottom with a clear medium weight reso bass drum head.

I love the classic rock drum sound and this got me closest to it.

I've got the same size drums and I use the same size heads. Probably about the same tuning as well, maybe just slightly lower.

I could never get a nice tone from my 16". All the other drums sound great. The 14x11 sustains for days.

Back