1968 Ludwig Gold Sparkle

SwiftZephyr

So Chad Anderson, owner of Cymbalholic, actually responded to an ad I put up of my Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute kit. I posted a thread regarding the dark hue of the wood awhile back and that was my kit. So basically I pulled the switcheroo andnow have a beautiful vintage Ludwig in gold sparkle.

img0275lt.jpg

img0276lxp.jpg

img0278w.jpg

img0280zn.jpg

img0282vq.jpg

img0284k.jpg

img0287bn.jpg

Chad is a great player and a great guy. That is a seriously beautiful kit. That's vintage?! It's mint! That could pass for brand new from the photos. Very nice!

I suppose I should inculde the specs and stuff.

Ludwig 1968 Gold Sparkle. Half of a "Rock Duo" kit. Floor tom is an orphan and its wrap is not as vibrant as the rack tom and the bass drum.

Sizes are:
14"x20" Bass Drum
16"x16" Floor Tom
8"x12" Rack Tom
5"x14" 1976 Ludwig Supraphonic

Cymbals:
22" Zildjian K Dark Medium Ride
The hats are a combination of a 16" Vintage Zildjian A top and a 16" K Con Crash bottom.

Chad is a great guy. I'm still baffled at how of all people he was really interested in my kit. Couldn't think of anyone else to pass on my Yamaha Birch Custom Absolutes.

Well I'm actually not quite sure. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. Does anyone have any info on the shells of a '68 Rock Duo kit?

My understanding was, 68 was the transition year Ludwig went from the maple, poplar, mahogany shell ... to the maple, poplar, maple shell.​
Call it a 3 ply .... and you're good to go ...​
Since you actually own the kit, look at the bearing edge .... ignore the re-rings ... you might be able to tell the difference ... does the inner ply look like the outer, or are they the same? Remember, the poplar makes up the middle ply... and the re-rings should all be maple.​

I had another thread in the Drum gear section and according to everyone the whole interior was actually re painted. The bearing edges were painted over as well so I can't tell at all.

Thank you very much. The cymbal arm mount is in the correct place. It's half of a Rock Duo kit which is a double bass configuration. This one is the left side bass so the cymbal arm mount would fly a left side crash or ride of some sort.

The cymbal arm mount is in the correct place. It's half of a Rock Duo kit which is a double bass configuration.

But of course!! You even said that earlier.....I didn't make the association of what a Rock Duo kit was. Makes perfect sense......the mystery has been revealed.

I'm very envious mate.....enjoy!!

Back