Danny Carey

adavis79 said:
I am just starting to listen to Danny's playing...I am curious...in the drum video what song is he playing with?

The one with Jeff Ocheltree and the bronze Paiste kit? It's "Lateralus" from the album of the same name.

Danny Carey is definatley one of my favorite drummers. He does really cool work the crazy time signatures that Too uses (like in Lateralus) and Schism is probably one of my favorite drum tracks. Really cool stuff, definately recommended to anyone and everyone.

Question about DC's playing in 'H.'

I've read that DC plays snares off quite a bit and I can definitely hear it in many songs. But on Aenima especially his snare sounds so tight I think it almost sounds like he's got the snares on when he doesn't--it's hard to tell the difference.

I heard 'H.' on the radio today and noticed something. It always sounded to me like he's definitely playing snares off throughout the verses but when I listened closer it sounded like he switched it on everytime he plays it with a cymbal accent and then back off for the back beat, which, if you know the song, happens more and more as they build into the refrain, but again his snare sounds so similar to my ear regardless of whether the snares are on or not so I can't really tell. What do you think? If he is switching them on and off constantly, well then, he's now climbed even higher in my book, and he's already one of my current favorites.

I wouldn't doubt he plays some songs snare-off, but I doubt he switches them on and off in the same song. Its probably just how they mixed it...

that's interesting, i've never heard of anyone playing snare off with the snares really tight to make it sound like it's on. I'm going to listen to Tool more to check it out.

Have you seen Tool live? Trust me, he flicks them on and off. There's no way you could mix it to sound like that, listen to The Grudge for example, right where the distorted guitars kick in with that rock type riff. Well smart.

I have a hazy memory of Danny saying somewhere he switches the snares on in the parts that need more power, or something along those lines.

This fella's certainly affected my playing a lot, and I'm really, really fond of his style of playing. Kinda grown up listening to it. A very unique player too!

Hi there,

well, Danny is the most outstanding drummer i've heard so far. Seemingly being beneath the music played by his bandmates i often wonder, how he keeps drumming in the middle of it all, building a foundation to the music he's surrounded by.
The new Tool 10.000 days stuff offers , once again, more of his weird kind of drumming, especially in 10.000 days, the second part of wings for marie.
I've read that some people find it much too weird and against the flow of the song, but i feel like they are just not able to feel how perfectly it fits.
It wouldn't be the music it is, if the drumpart was changed.
The question, if Danny flips the snare on and off in a song: he does. Definitely. I've seen him at the Rock am Ring in summer, and there's no question about it. In fact, he's not the only one to do so, look at dream theater's mike portnoy, who has his signature series snare built to this special technique.
I really hope that Danny will be carriying on like this, it's just overwhelming for me to hear him play.

Perils

I saw Tool at Nottingham Arena last night, first date I think of their current UK tour. Absolutely stunning. They put on the best live show I've ever seen I think, I saw them at Download back in June and while they were good it wasn't nearly as effective as it was seeing them in a large darkened room with all the graphics and lasers and stuff going on. Absolutely incredible.

As for Danny's drumming... about 3 songs in my mate, who's a guitarist, turned to me and said "he's a bit good on the ol' drums isn't he?". He was simply amazing to watch. Absolutely brilliant. So glad I went.

EDIT: Ha, I couldn't have been more wrong - it was the last date of the tour!!

Last edited:
How about that snare/tom groove he plays at around 2:15 in 'The Pot' when they're transitioning into the next verse. Just perfect.

i saw TOOL at nottingham aswell, best gig ever! btw the mastodon drummer was pretty cool aswell, although their sound was a bit pants. in my opinion, danny carey is the best drummer in rock since bonham died. the way he integrates every different aspect of drumming to his playing is truly unique, and he has influenced me and alot of other players im sure. TOOL are (again in my opinion), the best band since zep. anyone doubting his skil or his prowess should check out mer-ka-ba.

cheers, chris
x

I wouldn't go so far as to say best ever, but it was certainly a very very good show. I absolutely love the way Danny plays, it's amazing how inspirational that guy is, yet at the same time damning cos you know you'll never be better than him.

We missed most of Mastodon's set, only caught the last 4 or 5 songs, I really like Mastodon anyway, the latest album is absolutely fantastic, a true prog metal masterpiece.

As far as Merkaba goes, unless you download it, the only way you'll get it is on Salival, which is pretty expensive and fairly difficult to get hold of now. I got mine about a year ago, it's fantastic.

Cheers

Al

I wouldn't go so far as to say best ever, but it was certainly a very very good show. I absolutely love the way Danny plays, it's amazing how inspirational that guy is, yet at the same time damning cos you know you'll never be better than him.

We missed most of Mastodon's set, only caught the last 4 or 5 songs, I really like Mastodon anyway, the latest album is absolutely fantastic, a true prog metal masterpiece.

As far as Merkaba goes, unless you download it, the only way you'll get it is on Salival, which is pretty expensive and fairly difficult to get hold of now. I got mine about a year ago, it's fantastic.

Cheers

Al

aye, salivial is expensive, but definately worth it, i discourage people from downloading tool music, as of the
way its presente, album art etc.

chris
x

aye, salivial is expensive, but definately worth it, i discourage people from downloading tool music, as of the

chris
x

I agree, Chris (my name is Chris too...), but I think Salival might be the only exception to that, because it's pretty hard to find, and if you do find it, if the seller know's what it is, it'll probably be expensive...all their other albums are somewhat easy to get, and priced "normally"...

Last edited:
I agree, Chris (my name is Chris too...), but I think Salival might be the only exception to that, because it's pretty hard to find, and if you do find it, if the seller know's what it is, it'll probably be expensive...all their other albums are somewhat easy to get, and priced "normally"...

some formats moreso than others - you seen how much aenima goes for on vinyl these days? shocking. i have a lateralus vinyl tho!! : ) sealed as well, never even had it out the shrinkwrap!

chris
x

I would agree with that for the last two albums, but Aenima and Undertow and definitely Opiate, the artwork isn't really upto much on those. It's good, and it's pretty different, but in comparison to, say Lateralus and 10,000 Days, it's not quite up to scratch IMO. 10,000 Days is unlike any other artwork in my collection. Fantastic, so unique.

I would agree with that for the last two albums, but Aenima and Undertow and definitely Opiate, the artwork isn't really upto much on those. It's good, and it's pretty different, but in comparison to, say Lateralus and 10,000 Days, it's not quite up to scratch IMO. 10,000 Days is unlike any other artwork in my collection. Fantastic, so unique.

Depending on when you bought your copy of Aenima you may have got the cool gimmicky animated CD case. They were cool...

But I have to say, as their music has got worse their album art has got increasingly ornate ;)

Salival is sort of worth getting, but only for the CD. And even then, there's only a couple of memorable tracks. No Quarter is cool, Third Eye live shows their precision and energy (but doesn't do anything to improve on the album version, really) and the live version of Pushit is something I'm still to be sold on. I think it's a great live track when you're in the middle of a few thousand sweaty people nearly passing out from lack of oxygen, but the album track serves the song better on CD, if you ask me.

Depending on when you bought your copy of Aenima you may have got the cool gimmicky animated CD case. They were cool...

But I have to say, as their music has got worse their album art has got increasingly ornate ;)

Salival is sort of worth getting, but only for the CD. And even then, there's only a couple of memorable tracks. No Quarter is cool, Third Eye live shows their precision and energy (but doesn't do anything to improve on the album version, really) and the live version of Pushit is something I'm still to be sold on. I think it's a great live track when you're in the middle of a few thousand sweaty people nearly passing out from lack of oxygen, but the album track serves the song better on CD, if you ask me.

I kind of agree but seeing Tool on stage now is nothing short of astonishing. I've never seen a stage show quite like it, absolutely amazing, they put on a proper "show" in the true sense of the word, there's so much going on you just don't know where to look. The tickets were expensive but in hindsight well worth it.

I think Salival is worth it for the DVD/ video whichever version you get. The videos are really cool if you're into that sort of thing, I personally have a big thing for stop motion animation and think the work Adam Jones does is nothing short of astonishing. He has to be good at something eh?

I kind of agree but seeing Tool on stage now is nothing short of astonishing. I've never seen a stage show quite like it, absolutely amazing, they put on a proper "show" in the true sense of the word, there's so much going on you just don't know where to look. The tickets were expensive but in hindsight well worth it.

I just can't be bothered anymore. I saw them in 1997, 2001 & 2002 and just gradually watched them decend from being a fantastic band to just having a fantastic show. In 1997 they were nothing short of astonishing live - Maynard had phenomenal stage presence, and the whole band were tearing the roof off the place. Come 2001/2002 they were just a bunch of boring guys hiding behind a giant array of screens showing dodgy CG...

i heard his playing is quite mathematical, sometimes his rhythms are based o nthe fibionacci sequence like his kit being arranged to make some strange symbol

Back