Gordon Knudtson Open/Close Technique

piccupstix

I've been trying to smooth out my right hand on hi hat rhythms, particularly shuffles (been enjoying the recent shuffle threads), and in my searchings I would keep coming across Gordon Knudtson's videos of his enhanced open/close method. I come from a much more relaxed Murray Spivack method of playing (I studied with Wally Snow, Murray's associate), and Gordon's technique looks hugely affective - but pretty involved with the fingers. In the 2 1/2 years I was with Wally we studied pretty much wrist strokes. We may have gotten to finger technique if I continued. I initially went to him because I wanted to loosen my grip and play more relaxed. For the last couple of weeks I've been trying out Gordon's open/close and though it seems "violent" as compared to what I'm used to, it looks like another important tool for the toolbox. Is anybody here familiar with Gordy's approach? I do find it fascinating. Thx!

Gordy's site: Check out "Free Video Lessons."
gk-music.com/

Yeah I'm new here but I'm guessing this technique is more commonly referred to as "push/pull."

I spent about 6 months working intensively on Jojo Mayer's DVD, specifically on Moeller and push/pull. IMO push/pull is a crucial technique if you want the sort of technique that enables you to play anything that might pop into your head.

Wrist technique will enable you do to most things up to a certain tempo, at which point you need to use smaller more efficient movements.

cheers

(BTW, definitely get the Jojo DVD if you don't have it!)

Thanks for sharing this. Never saw Knudsen or Peterson before. Effortlessness is my goal, especially as an older player. Appreciate...

Back