Ordered new Sonor Kit today

Average

I ordered a new Sonor kit today. My hilites are way to precious to be dragging around to gigs anymore. Hopefully they will survive unscathed until my new set arrives.

It's a happy, happy day, like a new child being born. Congratulations, I hope they are everything you wanted

We'll see. I'm so happy with my hilites and I've heard the particular line I'm buying and have played a couple different sets from this line. We'll see what happens. The only reason I am retiring my hilites is because they are now irreplaceable.

I ordered a new Sonor kit today. My hilites are way to precious to be dragging around to gigs anymore. Hopefully they will survive unscathed until my new set arrives.

What type of kit? You have not provided details.

Oops! In all the excitement I forgot to tell what it was I ordered. Sorry. No photos yet as I haven't gotten the kit.

Sonor S-Classix
24X17.5" BD
14X5" snare
12X9" tom
14X14"FT
16X16" FT

All in white pearl cover. I also ordered a 600 series tom arm which I will suspend from one of my cymbal stands. I'll post a few photos when I get them. I'll post a video of them in action when I finally bring them to a gig.

The big change from my hilites to this kit will be that the shells are birch instead of maple. The hilite toms were 9 ply maple at 7.5mm thickness. The S-classix toms and snares are 9 ply 5mm. The bass drum is 12 ply 6mm. So the shells will be a little thinner as well. I'm excited to see how well they stack up to my hilites.

Oooh. Sorry. Immediately upon delivery and assembly I will post photos and a review - ie what I found in the box, edges, quality of hardware (as it relates to my hilites) etc. I posted some photos of the hilites in the sonor kits thread. Its on page 4 I think.

Wow this is turning into a saga. My store contacted the sonor rep. Apparently there are NO white pearl sets, and very few other sets in those dimensions currently in the US available for sale. I do not want to buy a set from another store, I will be using my local store so I am going to go with what my store can get.

Apparently the only sets available in those dimensions in the US are in the wood finishes. Specifically there is a rosewood set and an ebony set. They would be more expensive than the covered drums, but the store is working out some sort of a deal with Sonor. The whole reason I wanted to buy another set of sonors and specifically covered sonors was to use them as a gigging set. If the drums get a little banged up (and if you gig as much as I do, they do), it seems like covered/wrapped sets have held up a little better for me. The Sonor rep is calling the president of Sonor today to see what can be done.

The other thing the Sonor rep said was that a bunch of SQ2 sets were ordered before the world economy blew up because of mortgages gone wild. Often, the music stores that ordered the SQ2 sets closed before they could be delivered and the drums are sitting in a warehouse in Germany, unpaid for, collecting dust and being taxed as inventory every year or however often the government decides to tax them. SO, the Sonor rep is looking into what can be done on price on some of those sets as well.

Long story short, it pays, at least in the case of Sonor, to be loyal to a good brand and loyal to your local store. I have a long history with Sonor and a big history with the local store and it looks as if that may pay off for me.

You are still spending almost 3 grand for a gigging kit. Why not get something used to drag around?

Alright. Supposedly an Ebony S-classix kit as follows is on the way:

24X17.5" BD
14X5" snare
12X9" tom
14X14"FT
16X16" FT

It is sitting in a warehouse in Richmond Virginia right now. Hopefully a week or so to arrive at the store. I'm not bringing it out to a gig until Halloween. That will give me plenty of time to get it tweaked to my liking. The other thing is, it seems like some drum sets are really good at certain things and want to be played certain ways, almost like they have their own souls. Does that make sense? I need to a month to figure out how it wants to be played.

I pick up the drums tomorrow night at 6:30. My last Sonor set was used professionally from 1990 to 2009. As of 6:30 tomorrow night it is an heirloom.

Holy smokes these things are AWESOME! Review and photos to follow, if I can pull myself off of them for long enough.

Can't wait to see those Sonors. They definitely make good drums.

Back