Chad Smith

Yeah Dani California is awesome! I listened to it about 5 times in a row, and it got stuck in my head for about a week.
For those of you for reckon Chad Smith is robotic, listen to LIVE IN HYDE PARK, expecially disk 2. It's one of my favourite albums. oooooh yeah

Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Speedy said:
I like Chad Smith. Flea and him are a perfect bass-drummer pair. He knows how to flow thru the song.

Thats pretty dam true

For that guy who talked about john frusciante's solo stuff, see if you can get a copy of the song "Enter An Uh"....
I wanna be like that when I grow up.... :D

all i can say is that chad smith is a good drummer and he has got his own style. but what i think is every drummer has there own style

thats true. they played a 30 min set on TOTP yesterday on TV. that was good, chad was playing very well, restraining himself during songs, without mimicking the records, and then going nuts on any big finishes. the way rock drummers should be.

I totally rate Chad's playing. His groove (as you have all said) is awesome, so laid back and funky.

I have LOVED the Chili's since I first heard Mother Milk, the earlier stuff with Jack Irons on is also awesome. Chad was such a huge early influence on my playing.

I do have one beef though...the new Chili's stuff i.e. from Californication onwards, it's pretty tame. They seem to have almost completely lost the funk. This new song 'Dani Californication' or whatever, it pains me to listen to it. Had I heard this from some other band I would think it's ok BUT to know what the Chili's can do, it seems such a shame. I know they can't keep playing the same kind of stuff over and over, but it's all a bit dull in my opinion.

Spence said:
I do have one beef though...the new Chili's stuff i.e. from Californication onwards, it's pretty tame. They seem to have almost completely lost the funk. This new song 'Dani Californication' or whatever, it pains me to listen to it. Had I heard this from some other band I would think it's ok BUT to know what the Chili's can do, it seems such a shame. I know they can't keep playing the same kind of stuff over and over, but it's all a bit dull in my opinion.
I'm afraid I have to agree with you... What happened to the Chili style that everybody loved? I guess the new stuff is selling 1000 times more and it's a very good job, but I can't help missing the Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic style.

Ok i heard like 5 songs on their new album....... I;m not too impressed. Their is some funky songs that can be compared to the mothers milk and BSSM, but I think they've ran out of ideas.

yeah i don't like that song dani californacation or wateva it is cause i think its a bit boring .it some cheesy song aswell.but i like the chili's though the old stuff is better i think anyway.

I don't really dig that Dani California song that much either except the ending is pretty sweet. other than that it's pretty basic and uninspiring. I think the Chilli peppers need to branch out a bit more with their music. Their older stuff was way better, IMO. Oh and how many songs have they made that are about california? We get it, you're from california.

low-tech said:
im not into his playing

there is a difference between playing what the song needs and being utterly forgetable. thats the way i feel towards him. its more like a robot playing for alot of thier songs. ive seen live solo footage and some jam footage and was like "where the hell did that come from!!", i was very impressed. so i think he showed too much restraint during songs, too much for my liking. after one hot minute i stopped listening altogether. blood sugar sex magic and mothers milk are the good releases, everything else, ill pass

on a sidenote John frusiante' older solo stuff is amazing, first 2 albums

I really don't agree with this. I agree that there's a difference between the two...but when you listen to a RHCP song (doesn't matter which one), you just get pulled into the groove by chad, even though he's not playing anything fancy.

Wile E. Coyote said:
I'm afraid I have to agree with you... What happened to the Chili style that everybody loved? I guess the new stuff is selling 1000 times more and it's a very good job, but I can't help missing the Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magic style.

They grew up :)...

Would you play and make the same music for 20 years?

lfdy said:
They grew up :)...

Would you play and make the same music for 20 years?
I guess I wouldn't, but you have to understand that the people that liked their first stuff don't like it anymore (at least I don't). I don't have that feeling I used to have anymore...

Wile E. Coyote said:
I guess I wouldn't, but you have to understand that the people that liked their first stuff don't like it anymore (at least I don't). I don't have that feeling I used to have anymore...

Sure, i understand that completely.

You're right, their music has changed a lot over the years.

Me, i like pretty much all of their music.

incubotic said:
I don't really dig that Dani California song that much either except the ending is pretty sweet. other than that it's pretty basic and uninspiring. I think the Chilli peppers need to branch out a bit more with their music. Their older stuff was way better, IMO. Oh and how many songs have they made that are about california? We get it, you're from california.

yea they are OBSESSED with california, it cracks me up every time i hear one of their songs with a california refrence in it--i just say to myself "are they seriously still singing about that damn state"

beatsMcGee said:
yea they are OBSESSED with california, it cracks me up every time i hear one of their songs with a california refrence in it--i just say to myself "are they seriously still singing about that damn state"

lol yeah thats true, california this that ...

Even so .. Chad is a great grooves performance. I really like the way he plays. RHCP with out Chad would'nt sound the same.

MindEveryNotes said:
lol yeah thats true, california this that ...

Even so .. Chad is a great grooves performance. I really like the way he plays. RHCP with out Chad would'nt sound the same.

yea definitly, chad has a great sound, groove master

Back