Dave Weckl

I just purchased Back to Basics and was blown away...

Drummers like Weckl make me want to quit...

The Chick Corea piece he does with the brushes is sick...............

This guy is a master of our instrument...period...end of discussion. We will never agree on the style of music he plays, that is always highly subjective.

Couldn't agree with you more Wile E...

These guys knocking Weckl...I'd like to see them play, or actually I probably wouldn't...now Weckl him I like to watch even if it does make me feel so insigificant as a player myself....

I think a lot of the time when people knock those who are more highly skilled somehow it justifies (in their mind) there own lack of skill.....I mean these whole "musicality" thing is getting to almost be a cliche. They see a drummer who blows them away and I guess the only negative thing you can say is that elusive musicality...

I think people (drummers) can identify more with drummers like Ringo, Bonham etc. while great in their own right, deep down we all feel that we can approach that level of playing. Guys like Weckle, Gadd, etc. forget it...they are in another realm.

Does anybody have any idea how Weckl uses that bass drum that just sits off on the side? I think its genius, but I don't understand how it's operated. Anyone's thoughts?

- Marc

He uses a remote pedal, just like the left pedal on double bass pedals. I'd imagine he has a lot longer linkage though.

Hmmm. I've seen a lot of criticism on this thread. You might not like his style, or the music he plays, but you have to admit: he is a phenomenal musician. If you don't like complicated music, that is fine, but... seriously. The man is a God. No one is above criticism and we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I really can't understand how anyone can criticise an unbelievable drummer like Weckl and keep a straight face.

I like knowing that there will always be far greater players than myself because firstly, it keeps me humble and secondly, it takes the pressure off because you realise that you will never be the best, no matter how hard you try. There will always be a better drummer somewhere in the world. At least, that's what I like to think. That way, you can focus on doing it your way rather than trying to sound like Weckl, Vinnie, Chambers, etc.

Then again, I'm always trying to sound like Gadd (and failing)

anyone who says weckl has no feel wants their head seen to...ok,fusion is daves main thing and it can be a bit busy but thats the style of that genre..all very virtuoso..jazz can be brilliant to watch if your watching the drummer but i probably couldnt go to a 2 hour set without getting a bit bored....but to say weckl has no feel!!!!! just about any drummer we all talk about on here are gifted in their own way...it boils down to what style we prefer to listen to and what impresses us the most..have you seen daves dvd,the next step,where he jams with a big band....the bugle is the name of the tune....he is awsome,especially when the band kicks in...now thats "feel".....he,vinnie,gadd,smith and many others are all fantastic....maybe its people who dont get weckls drumming who are lacking in feel

This page is directly linked with the Dave Weckl site, so we have to stay strictly on topic Weckl here. So some comments about general disliking of drums or personal fights about who is more hating fusion music were removed from DB and B. There are so many other places for this - even on this forum. ok?

B.

Here are some clips of Dave that I got at Sabian Live in January. The one linked here is the longest at over four minutes, and there are links on the page to three other clips as well. This one is the best, though, with some very nice grooves, a tight solo, and a jamming finale. There is simply no way to watch this guy play live and not appreciate both his technical ability and his feel for the groove. He is an amazingly well rounded drummer.

Last edited:
Dave is one of the best out there period. I was fortunate enough to be introduced to him at one of his gig's in St.Louis a few years back by one of his former instructors. He was touring behind his album Snergy at the time. He is not just a phenom on the drums but a great composer of music. Granted, not everyone is into jazz fusion or contemporary jazz or however the industry labels it, keep in mind that Dave and his band create this music together, and each album they have released has been different than the previous one, which is utterly amazing. If you ever get a chance to see the band live, absolutely get there, but dont go just to check out Dave and disect his chop's, check out the whole band. Each of them is a virtuoso in their own right. Truly great artists.

Stu_Strib said:
The pantheon you don't get consists of some of the best drummers alive, not based only on their very good technical playing, but for their high demand to play for anyone.

No punk rocker drummer can play these guys' parts, but all these guys can play punk rock. Its really that easy.

If you have the highest technical skills possible, and can play anything, that makes you good.

Just look at Vinny Colaiuta and Steve Gadd's discography for starters.

Just watch Steve Smith, for crying out loud. If you can't see why he is on top of the drumming world, then I can't really say anything more about it.

Weckl is a matter of taste, but there is no denying his ability. And his drum sound is one of the best recorded.

I totally agree. I wonder though for people who love drums, how could some not like Weckl? Man he's just amazing and his group is wonderful. Stu is totally right about the best recorded drum sound. His Drums have the best recorded sound. Just killer.

Waterjet

Without a doubt Dave Weckl is seriously one of the GREATEST drummers of all time....
His technique and precision on the kit is the perfect definition of a drummer in command of his art....

He is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not, quite possibly he greatest. Def. in my top 10 favorite drummers. He is so perfect at the drums it's absoluetly amazing. just imagine, a huge drum solo/duet with weckl and gadd..... HAS THAT HAPPENED??

rendezvous_drummer said:
He is one of the greatest drummers of all time, if not, quite possibly he greatest. Def. in my top 10 favorite drummers. He is so perfect at the drums it's absoluetly amazing. just imagine, a huge drum solo/duet with weckl and gadd..... HAS THAT HAPPENED??
Theres like a big showdown thing between Colaiuta, Gadd, and Weckl on this website that i think it pretty cool. Its from when they were all younger though.

brittc89 said:
Theres like a big showdown thing between Colaiuta, Gadd, and Weckl on this website that i think it pretty cool. Its from when they were all younger though.
that.....was......brilliant!!! By far the best video on this site! The three best drummers together on one stage like that, simply amazing.

The person above me said it perfectly. I just went to his concert last night for the Multiplicity tour, and I tell you all, he was magnificent. He fist had a clinic, and he talked about his technique on the snare and how the setup affects everything, and you could really see that what he said made perfect sense. He has a flawless technique, and he incorporates it into his playing with no problem.

Say all you want, guys, but he is one of the greatest drummers in the world, if not the greatest alone. I mean I understand it when some of you say he plays only by the book, but his creativity shows otherwise. He's got his own unique grooves, and it goes perfectly side by side with the music.

Hats off to Mr. Weckl...

ive been listening to dave play for a long time now and its hard for me to listen to anyone else because of how amazing he is, his music just doesnt get old... i love listening to his amazing drums parts and listening to all the latin and songo patterns he plays his music sounds so seemless, and to me its like the perfect music, ive taken a lesson with him and hes also an amazing teacher, i think all his work and all that devotion has paid off

tdrums91 said:
ive taken a lesson with him and hes also an amazing teacher, i think all his work and all that devotion has paid off

Wow - feel free to share with us what that experience of a lesson was like....

everything he taught in the lesson was from his how to develop technique video so i would suggest evryone pick that up... most of the lesson u just sit there speechless, it really gave me motivation to practice my ass off

Back