What's Your Drumming Face Like?

KzSgDrummer

Silver Member
This is a silly question, but we all know us musicians can make some pretty strange faces while noodling away - ESPECIALLY us drummers - so what face do you mostly make when you're in the thick of it all?

Me -- I'm always verbally "saying" what I'm playing (making rhythmic noises with my mouth), so my mouth is always moving. But for the rest of my face, it depends on the mood of the music. If it's real intense, then I'm glaring around and looking possessed (think Terry Bozzio). But for when it's time to relax and let the groove simmer along, I'll have a huge smile going on as I enjoy the music and try to send that energy on to the audience.

ALSO -- how about famous drummers' faces? Bonham's barking at the air is awesome!

When do something that cross the border, like a fast fill from nowhere, my tongue goes out and my eyes closes...Never seen it myself, but I think that must look pretty weird!

Sometimes I'll clamp my teeth, but I mostly look up and down slowly and the only thing that moves is my jaw clenching and my eyes looking angry. Sometimes when I hit the snare drum I yell "BAHH!" I've actually spent time working on my drum face. I play in front of a mirror. It's important to look relaxed, but at the same time to have intensity when you need too. I just don't want to look like a jerk with a deformed face.

I drool. It's really embarrassing. If I'm really into what I'm playing, concentrating on something like a syncopation/coordination exercise, I've been known to drool on myself.

I look like aliens are trying to force themselves on me. Here's proof:

IMG_4481.jpg

I go into a trance. My jaw hangs half open and my eyes half close.

If I'm playing a particularly difficult part, I turn my head sideways. ???

Il open my mouth if things are getting a bit tricky for me. If im really in the mood I can't help but close my eyes and just play.

LOL.. This is a funny one.

It's black or white with me.. Sometimes I smile and/or talk with another muso, or, mostly, I am from the Neil Peart School of Drum Faces.. ie: nothing at all.

When I first began playing, I used to have my mouth open all of the time and singing aloud bass parts (that I heard in my head). First trip to the studio resulted in a lot of humiliation and a bit of gaffers tape across my mouth to stop the "noise". I have since learned to shut up ;-)

That's an hilarious thread...

I keep a cool face usually, but when things get somewhat hard i shrink my face, maybe something like that: ( :D - I was not sober in this one )

Oh and when i focus hard or "In the zone" I just start buzzing random notes.

Attachments

• l_08334d5d127720bc70ce3772dafb79e1.jpg
    l_08334d5d127720bc70ce3772dafb79e1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 2,530
Everyone tells me I look like i'm about to kill someone when im playing.

Mosesman you face is great. basically the opposite of mine.

My wife teases me and says I look like I'm in pain! Little does she know that i'm in heaven. If my pic loaded correctly...here I'm just smiling.

Attachments

• Ludwig set.JPG
    Ludwig set.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 2,928
LOL.. This is a funny one.

It's black or white with me.. Sometimes I smile and/or talk with another muso, or, mostly, I am from the Neil Peart School of Drum Faces.. ie: nothing at all.

When I first began playing, I used to have my mouth open all of the time and singing aloud bass parts (that I heard in my head). First trip to the studio resulted in a lot of humiliation and a bit of gaffers tape across my mouth to stop the "noise". I have since learned to shut up ;-)

I go to that school too, other members in my band don't like it, God damn you, face

Back