Drum wrap alternatives?

Tazdrummer

Can anyone suggest any?

See, I got the samples from JamminSam... those I like, I don't want to drop $400 into rewrapping my kit. (Its a 4 piece Pearl Export I got from a friend for $50 [snare drum was not included]). The selection of the solid colors on JamminSam's I don't like. I don't want black or white.

I just got the drum wrap samples from DrumMaker and I kinda like the green and like the red and the blue metallic a little, but they seem mighty thin compared to the JamminSam wraps.

I sure as hell know I will not get anything from RockenWraps.... $$$

The outer wood looks crappy enough that that shoots staining them right in the butt.

So.... is there anything else someone could suggest?

I could easily entertain the idea of painting them.

I guess what I told my wife is true about myself "I can be a picky little b_ _ ch"

How about covering them in bumper stickers?

Try contact (that adhesive book covering stuff), Gaff tape, skateboard grip tape, furry material, rubber underlay, or as you said, just paint them.

Well, you said it yourself, you have a $50 kit that you do not want to stick any money into..

So................ Elbow grease is free. Peel, (carefully), the current wrap off and sand the shells. Then stain and lacquer them. You may end up with a decent looking kit and the experience you gain might help you out down the road.. Also you would be able to have some pride in the kit...

My $0.02

. Also you would be able to have some pride in the kit...

This is such an minor point, and yet it holds huge significance, IMO. Every time you sit down on your drum stool, practicing, or performing,you've got to love your kit. no matter what kind of music you play.

Well, you said it yourself, you have a $50 kit that you do not want to stick any money into..

So................ Elbow grease is free. Peel, (carefully), the current wrap off and sand the shells. Then stain and lacquer them. You may end up with a decent looking kit and the experience you gain might help you out down the road.. Also you would be able to have some pride in the kit...

My $0.02

If this kit was bought from someone on Craigslist, it would probably be a $200 kit. I got lucky because it was a friend who just wanted to get rid of it.

The outer wood grain does look a little like refried $hit, so the staining is out. That option was on the table until I got the wrap off of the first drum.

Believe me, I will be able to take pride in these drums once I am done. Right now, this is my restarter kit.

I have no clue about costs, but I know you can buy wood veneer, thin sheets of wood that could be glued on like a wrap and then stained to the shade of your choosing.

Edit...http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=51

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/

http://www.certainlywood.com/ This site has a price list showing cost by the running foot starting at about $1.50. Thats probably cheaper than typical wrap material. You can also get one long piece at least 18 inchs wide by the total length of your snare and tom measure ments/bass drum...and the grain will be a perfect match for all drums.

Last edited:
How about newspaper?

piccolosnare.jpg

...If there is a sign shop nearby you could look into graphics vinyl.

That is essentially really wide electricians tape, pretty thin, but serviceable. I have used it in the past and it has worked well for me. I would buy mine from an AutoGraphics shop that did signs, and vehicle graphics.

Another thing that you might want to consider is something called sparkleen. I think that you can find it at a theatre supply shop if there is one near where you live. I think that this stuff is used for backdrop and set design. I have never used it but I know people who have. It is also fairly thin, but if you do not plan on abusing your drums too badly, it may suit your purpose.

Whatever you decide, keep us posted.

good luck and good drumming.

Barry

look at Precision Drum Company they have about anything you need for drums if I were you I'd cover them you could have a cool looking kit and be durable at the same time if you only have $50 in the kit another $150 would be worth it.You gotta want to do it through.

Bonzolead

look at Precision Drum Company they have about anything you need for drums if I were you I'd cover them you could have a cool looking kit and be durable at the same time if you only have $50 in the kit another $150 would be worth it.You gotta want to do it through.

Bonzolead

I want a blue, a red or a green.... Precision Drum Company's selection just doesn't do it for me.

I want a blue, a red or a green.... Precision Drum Company's selection just doesn't do it for me.
hears one thing to consider if you had white and put lights on them what ever color light hits them that's what color they will be red lights red drums ,blue lights blue drums,etc. just looking for a cheap way out.

Bonzolead

I don't see any reason you couldn't paint them. You'll get better results if you have access to a spray setup, and as long as you're happy with a solid color, you can have any color you want...

take the wrap thats on there now and spray paint them...therefore you don't ruin your drums

george

take the wrap thats on there now and spray paint them...therefore you don't ruin your drums

george

Too late on one of the toms.

That drum is in fine shape btw.

After successfully removing the wrap on that one, I am pretty confident how good I will do on the others.

Too late on one of the toms.

That drum is in fine shape btw.

After successfully removing the wrap on that one, I am pretty confident how good I will do on the others.

If I understand correctly, you removed the plastic wrap off of this tom and, (I assume), it pulled away some of the wood from the shell as well?

If so, and you have decided to repaint them, get some filler that will adhere to the existing shell and fill the voids, then re-sand that shell and repaint.

There are some industrial strength fillers out on the market.

Good luck!

If I understand correctly, you removed the plastic wrap off of this tom and, (I assume), it pulled away some of the wood from the shell as well?

If so, and you have decided to repaint them, get some filler that will adhere to the existing shell and fill the voids, then re-sand that shell and repaint.

There are some industrial strength fillers out on the market.

Good luck!

Actually, your assumption is correct... to an extent.

There is a small 1/8 of an inch wide, 2 inch long splintering of the outer wood.

See, with that happening I now know where I had went wrong and am confident that the next drum will have no splintering like that.

I want to see how this one turns out first before I dive into the rest.

Use a heat gun to melt the affixing glue, there will then be no splintering.

I've used a number of things to cover drums, wood veneer, faux fur, vinyl, material, all are cheap and easily attainable.

Go to a fabrics shop and find something that suits what you are after, maximum 50 dollar spend and you can cover the whole kit.

Back