Remo Acousticon 6x14 on the way

Dirtysticks

I just bought this snare from Guitar Center online. It is a Chrome (Quadura, I believe) over Acousticon 6x14 snare with single flanged hoops and clips. I bought it because I've heard many good things about the sound of the acousticon snares, I like to have many different voices in my snare sounds, it was cheap, I love the look of snares with single flanged hoops, and I'm pretty much a snare whore! LOL

Anyone have experience with the acousticon snares? I've never played one personally, but I've heard a few recordings of some and I liked them. I believe the wood is some sort of pressed wood mixture that is pretty hard and makes for a good snare material, although it's pretty inexpensive. I really like the vintage vibe and look to this snare with the hoops and clips. Thoughts, comments, concerns are greatly welcomed and appreciated.

I'll post more pics when it arrives and I get a chance to clean it up.

I've heard thing about older models' bearing edges crumpling with moisture exposure, but I've also heard that they sound pretty good! Given my limited exposure to a kit at PASIC, I think they do sound pretty good as well. Hopefully your drum stays in shape for a long while, enjoy it.

I made an entire kit from Remo's Buffalo Drums - they are made of Acousticon, no chrome coating. I made a snare from a 3.5 X 14 and it sounded amazing! Buy it!

I made an entire kit from Remo's Buffalo Drums - they are made of Acousticon, no chrome coating. I made a snare from a 3.5 X 14 and it sounded amazing! Buy it!

That sounds like a nice size. I'm sure it sounds great. I already bought it, just waiting for it to arrive from across the country.

i have a 3.5x13 acousticon piccolo that is VERY crisp. it is a perfect piccolo sound to my ear. i got it some time in the 90's, iirc. the throwoff is actually not bad, but the lugs are junk. i played it hard in a cover band, and it didn't like rimshots (every stroke, in other words). i blew two lugs right off of the shell. i rigged a repair that has held, and to it's credit, it was actually my primary snare for a few years. if you're a banger, i don't give it long. no problems with the bearing edges here. also, i ripped the wrap off, and painted the shell cast iron gray. it is very nice looking.

Back