Underrated Drummers

BrewBillfold

Silver Member
I looked a few pages in, but didn't see a general "underrated drummers" thread here (I did see a most underrated poll in the General Discussion forum, but that's different).

I figured it might be a worthwhile idea to have one thread for drummers who aren't very well known or who aren't much talked about, but who did some great work that others could check out--let's list the drummers and some specific recordings maybe.

My first candidate--Bruce Crump. He's been Molly Hatchet's drummer off and on for many years (and as far as I know, was last playing with a Hatchet offshoot, Gator Country; that was within the last few years).

He's a very solid player, with a great sense of groove, who always played "for the music", but whom you could tell had some serious chops, too. He just usually kept them reined in, and instead used them more subtly.

The first, self-titled Molly Hatchet album is a great example of his playing (and recently listening to it again is what made me realize after all of these years how great he was . . . I'm anxious to check out his playing on the other albums again, too).

For just one song, check out their version of Gregg Allman's "Dreams I'll Never See". Crump is in the pocket driving a funky, syncopated groove, and plays some very tasty fills, with some subtle, creative features like double-stroked 32nd notes where most folks wouldn't think of doing that.

My first candidate--Bruce Crump. He's been Molly Hatchet's drummer off and on for many years (and as far as I know, was last playing with a Hatchet offshoot, Gator Country; that was within the last few years).

He's a very solid player, with a great sense of groove, who always played "for the music", but whom you could tell had some serious chops, too. He just usually kept them reined in, and instead used them more subtly.

The first, self-titled Molly Hatchet album is a great example of his playing (and recently listening to it again is what made me realize after all of these years how great he was . . . I'm anxious to check out his playing on the other albums again, too).

For just one song, check out their version of Gregg Allman's "Dreams I'll Never See". Crump is in the pocket driving a funky, syncopated groove, and plays some very tasty fills, with some subtle, creative features like double-stroked 32nd notes where most folks wouldn't think of doing that.

My band does "dreams" & you're right it's a cool & fun tune too jam & yes we do the Molly Hatchet version & back in the early 90's had the privilege for opening up for them.

Cool down too earth guys a great memory for sure.

Bonzolead

I dig the thread idea.

So, my list...

Lester Estelle Jr. - Former drummer from Pillar now playing with Stars Go Dim. Probably my personal favorite Link on Youtube
Mike Johnston - He's fairly popular for his live video lessons, but hes also a FANTASTIC drummer. Link on Youtube
Roy Burns - Also not too terribly "underrated" but hes not appreciated enough.Link on Youtube

Joe Chambers. Check out the latest MD.

I used to have Ray Luzier on this list, but now that he's got the Korn gig, he's no longer so underrated.

Glen Sobel is another one.

Really obscure is Atma Anur. He did a bunch of Shrapnel records in the 80's, he replaced Steve Smith in Journey for all of two weeks, and was always on the verge of something, but never quite got over the hump to make himself better known to the public at large.
Monster player. He's some badly recorded footage of him in the early 90's. One of the heads in the audience is mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=hd-aJ6JqJ9c&feature=related

Ralph Humprey is another. Most people know him as either the guy who was with Zappa for a while, or the guy who started PIT/LAMA, but few realize how many TV and movie sound tracks he's done, and that he's got the skills and chops right up there with the top names in the industry.

Glen Sobel. Absolutely. I started a post here for him quite a while ago. He is so deserving of more exposure. I've seen many new youtube vids of him over the last few months. A lot of clinic and drum festival stuff as well as some footage from gigs with some pretty diverse and big name people like Paul Gilbert and American Idol singers. It's just a matter of time before more people know who he is.

Thanks Flams for the nod to Roy Burns. He was very big on the local jazz festivals in Orange County, Ca. when I was young. Great drummer, teacher and human being. I was fortunate to meet him a few times at clinics at at the J.C. that I attended.

I'm not really even a fan of The Animals, but I think their original drummer, John Steel, was ahead of his time. Rock drumming was still in its infancy and Steel went beyond just playing time; he played drum parts that complemented the music. It kind of struck me one day when I was listening to We Gotta Get Out Of This Place that this guy was pretty solid and precise at a time when rock drummers were very loose.

I've always enjoyed Supertramps drummer, whatever his name is.

I also think Nigel Olson was one of the best from the 70's. Had a wonderful sense of how to use space and of course his sound was always dialed in.

How about Hearts original drummer Michael Derosier. Bad career move to break Nancy Wilson's heart but he was a monster behind the kit.

Paul Humphrey. I've never heard him getting much mention. One of my favorites is a record called 'Down Home Blues' with Gene Harris and Jack McDuff. Solid playing.

Ryan Hoyle. He was Collective Soul's drummer for a few records and has also played with Paul Rodgers. Great grooves. His coordination in pulling off 'All That I Know' from CS's 'Afterwords' album is pretty impressive.

I've always enjoyed Supertramps drummer, whatever his name is.

I also think Nigel Olson was one of the best from the 70's. Had a wonderful sense of how to use space and of course his sound was always dialed in.

I think Supertramp's drummer was Bob Benberg. Agree - fantastic player.

There are a number of top classic rock style drummers who are team players and are therefore not really noticed. A few others:

Joe Vitale - Joe Walsh Band (his playing on Meadows)

Bobby Berge - Tommy Bolin (playing on Post Toastee)

Roger Wilcox - Todd Rundgren's Utopia {"Willie" playing on Hiroshima)

jerry gaskill - king's x. super drummer! not fancy but solid timekeeping and always in the pocket playing!
gerry shirley - humble pie /fastway. nothing but solid rock drumming here! who could have done this material better?

I would say James Gadson. When it comes to "funkmasters" his name seems to be hard to put on the table, but for me is one of the most amazing drummers of all time.

Tico Torres. Bon Jovi's music calls for mostly pretty simple stuff, but Tico is solid and just an amazing drummer.

Phil Selway of Radiohead is a really phenomenal and underrated drummer. I recommend "Pyramid Song." Really incredible. Also, In Rainbows is one of the most in the pocket albums I've heard in along time. It's not too complex drumming most of the time, but its conceptually fascinating and he sits in the pocket like no one else. i have yet to play any of those songs perfectly. "All I Need" is incredible frustrating, and "Videotape" is one of the coolest songs rhythmically I've heard in a long time.

Not too mention that Selway is a pretty phenomenal singer/songwriter.

Phil Selway of Radiohead is a really phenomenal and underrated drummer. I recommend "Pyramid Song." Really incredible. Also, In Rainbows is one of the most in the pocket albums I've heard in along time. It's not too complex drumming most of the time, but its conceptually fascinating and he sits in the pocket like no one else. i have yet to play any of those songs perfectly. "All I Need" is incredible frustrating, and "Videotape" is one of the coolest songs rhythmically I've heard in a long time.

Not too mention that Selway is a pretty phenomenal singer/songwriter.

+1 on that motion. Selway it is an amazing drummer.

Back