Travis Barker's NEW Solo!!!

Nothing new, sounds like any other solo or thing he does. I personally think Travis is overrated and younger kids see him as "the best drummer ever" because he hits hard and plays tricky stuff which sounds unplayable to them or they just jump on the bandwagon with everyone else who thinks he's amazing.

I personally think Travis is overrated and younger kids see him as "the best drummer ever" because he hits hard and plays tricky stuff which sounds unplayable to them or they just jump on the bandwagon with everyone else who thinks he's amazing.

People who are just getting into drumming will always be impressed by flash and speed. It was like that in the 70s, it was like that in the 80s and it was like that in the 90s. I'm not a fan of Travis, but if his playing gets kids into drumming and music then I'm all for him!

As for the solo... Nothing new, but exactly what the crowd at a Blink 182 concert wants, and he performs it very well. If he had pulled out some kind of crazy polyrhythmic solo or gone for complexity instead of speed and flash, the crowd would have lost interest extremely quickly. He is the perfect drummer for his audience, and the audience is perfect for his drumming.

Last edited:
Not my favourite drummer.......not my favourite solo, but I've heard far worse than Travis Barker. For what it is, he does it just fine. What more does he have to do?

Learn to play more styles and not smash everything up all day.

Why? He's got his thing goin' on, it works for him and it pays him well. Why should he suddenly break into samba's or free form jazz? It's not what he does. He's not the only successful drummer never to branch into other genres. Moonie used to smash stuff up all the time. He only ever played an absurd form of rock drumming. No-one ever suggests that he'd have been better received if he learned to play more styles. People just accepted it for the show he put on and the sounds he created.....like Travis, he influenced thousands. Why should Barker be held to different standards?

Is it really Travis Barker that pisses people off.....or the idiot fanboys on youtube?

I'm confused, I thought this was going to be a solo, not a "play along" to some really horrible sample turned up WAY too loud...? Maybe my definition of a solo is a little off.

Why? He's got his thing goin' on, it works for him and it pays him well. Why should he suddenly break into samba's or free form jazz? It's not what he does. He's not the only successful drummer never to branch into other genres. Moonie used to smash stuff up all the time. He only ever played an absurd form of rock drumming. No-one ever suggests that he'd have been better received if he learned to play more styles. People just accepted it for the show he put on and the sounds he created.....like Travis, he influenced thousands. Why should Barker be held to different standards?

Is it really Travis Barker that pisses people off.....or the idiot fanboys on youtube?

+1 on this post.

If I wanted to I could name a whole list of things that annoy me about this, but what's the point? He has his niche which is more than most have. We are on the same team, so good for him.

I get the impression that Travis is using the music to further Travis rather than the opposite though. I guess that's why I can't be too positive.

I agree with your post as well PFOG.

To answer the question it's his idiot fanboys on Youtube. I'll be honest...i'm not what you would call a TB fan but i do enjoy some of what he plays. He seems like a very likeable person and for as long as i can remember he has always stayed out of trouble. Where it ends with me is his fans "Travis Nation" as i like to call them. Some of the most obnoxious people i have ever come across.

As far as the solo it was your typical TB drum solo. Nothing new there from what i see.

omgf da best drumer on da webb!!!!11 He just dubbel roles all over kit with symbols and kickpeddle. Tarvis Barkers & Joen Jordenson 4 LYFE <3 <3

Seriously though, he has found his niché and is making a living of it, which in itself is impressive. Hadn't it been for all those meddling fans, I wouldn't be half as irritated over Travis as I normally am.

Nooooo.... I mean destroy his heads and cymbals with just using the one dynamic

omgf da best drumer on da webb!!!!11 He just dubbel roles all over kit with symbols and kickpeddle. Tarvis Barkers & Joen Jordenson 4 LYFE <3 <3

Seriously though, he has found his niché and is making a living of it, which in itself is impressive. Hadn't it been for all those meddling fans, I wouldn't be half as irritated over Travis as I normally am.

The fans annoy me... Then listening to his overly aggressive playing annoys me. I do like Blink182 though.

That's interesting. His "new" solo sounds exactly like his "old" solos.

Ugh! Well, it's better than other stuff I have heard him play. Not as big fan of this guy, and not sure why he's so famous for drumming. He's always on the cover of Guitar Center and Musician's friend mags...I have yet to hear him play anything better than what any of the guys I hang out with can do. He's ok, but his reputation far precedes him....

Last edited:
The guy helps sell drums - good for him. His fans love him and that's cool. I wish I had fanboys and had people complainin' about me.

I am still not understanding that over-sized front bass drum hoop though.

Why? He's got his thing goin' on, it works for him and it pays him well. Why should he suddenly break into samba's or free form jazz?
Absolutely agreed on this.

... listening to his overly aggressive playing annoys me. I do like Blink182 though.
I love aggressive drumming but cannot stand saccharine-sweet vocalists doing the cutesy punk routine - there's never been anything "punk" about that and it pretty much makes me want to vomit. Always hated that band despite that I like its drummer.

Travis hitting heads and cymbals hard enough to break them? Is that really the standard you want to use? Because if it is, then we can draw up very long lists of drummers who break things and stick to their genres that I suspect you might be into. We can start with Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins if you like.

Anyway, I'm neutral on the TB issue. Not my favorite but he's a good drummer and I suspect I'd like his drumming a lot more if his taste in music were closer to mine.

All I noticed was that it didn't look like he was wearing hearing protection. Tsk, tsk...

Aoh yeah, he did that solo too. Sounded same-old-same-old.

Nooooo.... I mean destroy his heads and cymbals with just using the one dynamic

And again....so did Moon the loon. Why was it ok for him and not TB?

Come on mate. Construct a valid argument here.

So far all you've given me is that Travis Barker should change his playing style and broaden his horizons into other styles because YOU'D like him better. What kind of argument is that? If you really don't like him, turn him off....it's pretty simple.

If you're looking for well rounded players who can do just about everything and cover a range of styles then you shouldn't be looking at Barker in the first place......there's other guys to turn to for that. Vinnie and Gadd seem to have it well covered I would have thought.

Back