Does anyone NOT like snare ring?

I like both of the examples of ringing snare sounds that were posted, and I believe the Vinnie clip is a great illustration of the evolution of drum sounds in recordings. Some of his older works used that muffled 70's type sound, and gradually we've seen this change to a more open sound.

I could be way off base, but having listen to music as it happened for over four decades now, I always felt the changing drum sounds largely reflected the techology of the day. The70's (maybe even earlier) brought close micing, but the drums needed to be muffled to capture a pleasing sound. As microphone and recording technology improved, the ability to capture a more natural sound emerged.

I don't know if that is truly the case, but that's how I thought about it as I was listening to it happen. I always felt that the preference for a muffled snare was a byproduct of being used to the sound produced by the technical limitations of the day.

Used to absolutley love Snare Ring, the more the better. Over the years though my view has somewhat changed. I think it's down to the style of bands I have played with over the years, played for 10years with a Rock and Roll band where the sound fitted in. Now I'm playing with a Bluesy Rock band and also another Folk/Accoustic type band. So that sound just wouldn't sit right.

The only dampening I used to have was a bit of Duct Tape and Toilet Roll if in the studio. Yesterday at rehearsals I found myself applying four Moon Gels at times on my Supraphonic (mostly had two on there) playing with the Accoustic band. Dry as hell but it really suits the songs and these days I prefer the sound of a dry (but full) snare over one that's let loose.

Maybe I'm just getting old though....

That is a great clip of the 17 Snare Drum comparison.

When you're talking about snare ring an important part of it is you gotta be able to get out in front of the band stand to hear what the drum sounds like out there. And if possible hear it when the whole band is playing. All your drums will sound different out in front. Too much ring will detract for sure, but there needs to be some so the snare's note carries, or cuts through the other instruments. IMHO if your snare has a dry thud of a sound when you're sitting over it, it will sound like hitting a cardboard box out in the room.

I also think this touches on one of the greatest things about playing the drums. As drummers we're not "boxed" in with the sound our drums make. With hundreds of combinations of shell material, head types, snare types and head tuning every drum set can be a reflection of our personality, or taste and still provide the basic rhythm to make people dance and drive the band.

17 snare shootout on YT. i'll take the DW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiRUCgILQ_k

edited to say: sorry, i meant #12 the DW.

Funny how different opinions can be. Other than the Ludwig steel snare, that DW was my least favorite. Not because it sounded bad - it didn't sound bad at all - but because it seemed to be one dimensional to me. I think my favorites were the Pork Pies, but several sounded quite good. And yes, my favorites all rang quite a bit.

Back