Post Your Greatest Weakness ?

How many of you drummers play double bass ?

• Total voters
Weak right hand, weak right foot. No control when fast, need to be better at showmanship. tend to stick my tongue out when playing..... but practise makes permanent. not perfect

Halidman...are you left handed?? or just weak on your right side?...work on the strength before showmanship...believe me no one cares how "Cool" you look as long as you get the job done...

Got to work on keeping that tongue in or you'll be sure to bite it off one day...I can't even chew gum & drum at the same time...thats scary stuff !!!!

My greatest weakness is not having enough energy to practice on the set every day. I really need to get out of that ditch because music is very important to me.

Not practicing rudiments enough/at all.

I have problems with my bass. I've been playing for 4 years, but I still have problems doing eighth notes and sixteenths with my bass foot. I don't know what to work on with my bass foot. All anyone ever writes about is getting better snare technique.

I just don't have quick feet.

Thats a hard one, definatly the fact that I can never stick to one grip!

I go from holding the stick on my left hand between my 2nd and 3rd finger to holding the stick between my 1st and 2nd.

Every now and again, I slip into my 'block everything' mode and just drum on my nearest table and end up missing something that is important that is being said.

It really has to do with my family. Quite a few great musicians, and I'm a good vioinist, I expect way too much of myself.

None of this is to say that drums are a chore. Playing drums is one of my favorite things on earth.

It really has to do with my family. Quite a few great musicians, and I'm a good vioinist, I expect way too much of myself.

None of this is to say that drums are a chore. Playing drums is one of my favorite things on earth.[/QUOTE

hmm, so ive heard.. i expect alot from myself but not to the point where i get frustrated and decide to smash my drums (not saying you will) but i guess im trying to level with myself here.. but hey ian more power to you!

In order of priority:
- ensemble/big band charts reading. That's very different from reading regular drum charts and I recnetly found that I am very bad at it
- First sight reading
- Foot technique
- double bass (very bad at it)

.. keeping time ostinatos going on the hi-hat, while playing through fills ( guess I got independence issues)...plus of course a whole lotta stuff , i wish i could play but cant.

Last edited:
discipline, i have my mindset down, i know how good i am and can point out what i need to work on, its just staying with what im working on.

This may have been covered. I didn't read through every post.

I tend to get stuck in a rut as far as creativity and style are concerned. Sometimes I feel like I repeat myself too much on the kit. I try to listen to different styles of music to help me creatively. But sometimes I'll be jamming with some buddies and I'll do a fill or pattern while improvising that I probably have done a million times before. What does everyone else do to overcome these musical ruts?

Left foot (I never kept the beat or syncop with my hi-hats)! Counting the time in my head and being able to move around while keeping the beat into asymmetric rythms! Concentrate on the same exercise for a whole hour without messing around every minutes!.........and very shamful, still don't know how to tune my drums correctly!

My greatest weakness is definitely overplaying. Besides being a nuisance to listen to, overplaying can also have more subtle consequences. I listened to myself on tape not long ago and for the first several minutes it sounded really good. I wasn't playing too loud, I was with the band, plying off of their lines. But then I got bored listening to myself. And at the end of the song I was wishing for the drummer to do something else, something new.

I realized that overplaying in this case was showing my entire bag of tricks in two minutes. If I had held back longer and only done "stuff" when it was really called for, the same drummer (me) would have sounded much better. DPS

I used to feel the same way about my drumming. For the first few years that I played, I felt I had something to prove to other musicians. So I always over did it. I'm much more relaxed now and my playing is much more digestable to other band members and listeners.

Hmm I'd have to go with my 4 way independence. My overall 4 way co-ordination though not that bad for how long I've been playing, would be my greatest weakness. Especially when it comes to Latin beats because you need really good 4 way co-ordination. I can play some of them but when i speed them up i always fall apart. My individual limbs are not that bad but when i put them together it's difficult. I'd love to have total independence with them. Does anyone know any good books that deal with 4 way co-ordination and or polyrhythms?

drinking beer instead of practising...posting illconceived playing on here...getting faster...getting slower....not knowing my rudiments....can I stop yet??

Wow, just from reading some of these posts, I think drummers have the lowest self esteem.

Maybe not self-esteem, but I'd bet they're some of the hardest on themselves.

Back