Played my first Gig last night.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Well, it was more like half a gig. I played my djembe (not drums - unfortunately) in the first two sets with an acoustic duo. The guitar player is absolutely amazing and the singer is fantastic. it felt weird that they actually allowed me to play with them - a guy with no performing experience at all.

I got the following email from one of the guys earlier today:

Mitch, wanted to say thanks for last night. A lot of compliments after you left. Hopefully you felt that buzz of freedom that only music gives because life is so short and to miss out on "that feeling" would be sad.

Now for some "real talk."
Wednesday night at practice I want you to come with no holds barred. Never be afraid to close your eyes and create! If you own the rhythm section, "we will follow your lead."

Here is the pompous truth in a nutshell, Mitch. Our band has more talent and potential than anything going in New Mexico currently. We have fun or we dont play. Timing is everything...

Off to a good start. Send you songs for Wednesday later.

Right now I'm like…. WOW!!!

And to think, I was about to chicken out last night. I'm really glad I didn't.

Hey Mitch, that sounds great!

Keep us informed....and have a great time!

Right on! Now we gotta get you out there on the kit!

Yes guy! That's some motivation, and a hell of an ego boost... I wish more musicians were as positive as him... Everyone needs that kind of reinforcement and encouragement after a gig or practice or jam or whatever...

Go get 'em!

Way to go Mitch. You obviously made a great impression on this guy.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I really had fun last night - except my hands are a bit sore. I went so far as to tape them up. It helped a little bit.

I would really like to convince them to use drums, however. I was thinking that I can easily pair my kit down to a simple 4 piece - plus, my snare (the Supra) sounds fantastic at lower / softer volumes, too.

Does anyone have djembe experience? The one I'm using is one made by Remo and it has a synthetic plastic head. When I really get going and lay into it, it hurts like a mother!!

I was thinking that if they want to stay with the hand percussion, I should bite the bullet and get one that has a good goat skin head. It will probably sound better and play better as well.

That is awesome news! Congratulations on a job well done! This may be a bit premature, but maybe a slow escalation would be better. Instead of going to your kit, even if it is a small one, perhaps some kind of cocktail kit would be better? So it looks like you're combining the djembe with drumset, and you're still taking up a smaller footprint?

If they're inviting you to own it - then you're ready for more!

Mitch, the comments from other players tell me immediately that these guys know what they're doing, & have their priorities sorted out - refreshing. Congratulations on getting a welcome boost, & overcoming your trepidation. "Close your eyes & create" is a great mantra to work by for sure :)

So now, get on that kit & rock your world!!!!!

My dear, you must have done something right; in fact, you must have done a lot of things right, and you're clearly showing a lot of potential to do even more.

Really well done! Chuffed to bits for you :)

Have you thought about trying a cajon ? I think they are a tad more versatile than a djembe. Or you could use both. By the way, your hands will toughen up. Keep practicing a little every day. Good luck. John

that is a very nice boost! Well done!

Re: your hands....

I'm assuming you really want to play a small kit with these guys. I would too.

Mitch, if I was in your situation, I'd play the "I refuse to beat up my hands on hand percussion" card.

I'd say something like, I really, really enjoy playing with you guys and would love to continue, but I just kind of refuse to beat my bare hands up, I need them. If you guys want me to play, I need a bass drum, snare and hi hat. (start with just the essentials, and over time, once you're "in" all the way, start adding a ride and so on).

I don't think they could contest that logic. If you feel that hitting your hands is not good for your hands, you are well within your rights to be a little difficult when it comes to protection of your own anatomy.

He did say "no holds barred". To me that means nothing is barred. If you gently force the issue, at the end of the day, they will be glad I bet.

But your big selling point is the group will sound better with a real bass drum and a real snare drum.

But your big selling point is the group will sound better with a real bass drum and a real snare drum.

+1

Sorry gotta say, I have a djembe too but 2 whole sets of that anywhere is....well... boring.
Its the same sound. OK for a tune or three, not 15.

A singer and acoustic guitarist will sound way better, and more diverse, with small kit and other minor percussion like a tamb or shakers. It just does, simply because of the many voices in small kit.

You know, there is a reason homo sapiens moved out of the jungles or steppe, away from beating single drums...to a kit.

And congrats on your gig. Get in there and show them some 'sonic landscapes'

Re: your hands....

I'm assuming you really want to play a small kit with these guys. I would too.

Mitch, if I was in your situation, I'd play the "I refuse to beat up my hands on hand percussion" card.

Thanks for the advice Larry. I think I'll keep that card up my sleeve for the time being. They did make small - and I emphasize, small - mention of my kit the other night, so we'll see where that goes. Heck, If I needed to, I'd be more than happy to get a small bop kit.

I stopped by GC earlier and found a nice Toca Djembe. It had a nice ring to it and also had a fantastic bass sound. Plus, it was louder without hitting harder - This might do the trick!
+1

Sorry gotta say, I have a djembe too but 2 whole sets of that anywhere is....well... boring.
Its the same sound. OK for a tune or three, not 15.

I definitely hear you on that one. But right now I need to be willing to do what they want me to do. Besides, playing strictly "percussion" allows me a little latitude when it comes to learning their set list. Hell, I was playing songs that I never heard before the other night. I just found the beat and went for it.

But a mix between kit, djembe, and other percussion would be good.

Another way to approach hand percussion/drumset formula. Configure your hand percussion into a drum set configuration. I own a Remo Mondo snare, and it's a wonderful addition to other hand drums.​

Attachments

• remo.jpg
    remo.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 572
  • mondo snare.jpg
    mondo snare.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 641
Mitch, if you do get the kit in there, play soft. Not that I even have to say that. But even before that, if it is decided to take drums, reassure them that you will stay under everything and augment the sound not overpower it. They will be wanting to know that you understand they will be in the foreground sonically speaking. To them it's a big jump from Djembe to kit, you don't want to scare them off. They're like trout lol.

Back