What is it with the colour black?

I personally don't care for a piano black set of drums, but I really do like a "white marine pearl" set.

Dennis

This picture keeps coming up in my mind. Showing up in the recording studio with a set like that and then the producer speaks ............."CUT!!! Sorry man, that drum set is just not raging enough. Yeah, don't do that again................................." ;-}

Yes WMP as Grunt called it in his earlier post is also timeless and it goes with everything.

I've been playing red sparkle for years. My next set will be black sparkle. I don't know what it is, but the black sparkle has just been calling me, lately.

Both of my sets are wood finish.

My Yamaha MCAN has a the matte style Vintage finish. Looks very nice and blends in with any situations although it mostly stays home.

My 80's Gretsch blond maple kit gets the most compliments and blends in and IMO, blends in as well as black does.

I like black but I've seen too many kits look 'smudgy' under the lights. That probably wouldn't be the case if the player took a damp cloth to them but...sometimes...a gig is a gig. :)

Thomas Lang is right saying (here @ 6:07) you can't see exotic, wood grain type kits at a distance, some blonde sets will look mustard coloured at 20 feet etc. "You never have to be ashamed of a piano black finish"

So all you SONOR SAFARI guys are going to be ashamed of that glitter finish somewhere, sooner or later, maybe, kinda... if

DW- People with passion and a lot of knowledge(?)

Thomas Lang is right saying (here @ 6:07) you can't see exotic, wood grain type kits at a distance, some blonde sets will look mustard coloured at 20 feet etc. "You never have to be ashamed of a piano black finish"

So all you SONOR SAFARI guys are going to be ashamed of that glitter finish somewhere, sooner or later, maybe, kinda... if

DW- People with passion and a lot of knowledge(?)

I disagree ;) Most of us who have Safari's also have other kits anyway. I pull out my gun metal gray Bubingas more often than not!

I do like black kits, as much as I like black cars. But I'll probably never have a blk kit for the same reason I got rid of my black car... That finish is to high maintenance. Every speck of dust shows on that "piano black" finish and I'm just to lazy to get out the duster

I like black for all the classic reasons, but a black wrapped kits smacks of cheesy entry-level cheapness to me. Problem is that you can't tell black wrap from nice piano black lacquer from even 5 feet away.

On the last few kits / wood snares I've ordered, I've gone with a simple black or charcoal stain. That way it's still black-ish but you can still see the wood grain, which I think looks classy and sets it apart from something more generic.

My first kit was black and after more then 17 years my latest kit is black too:

168418_1816719777365_1221222716_2171889_5254552_n.jpg

Its a wrapped black and I dont mind on this baby, the seams are underneath the high tension lugs.

It startd with snares. I just love black and now the kit and inears are black to. Love it.

Black does look gorgeous if done right. Look at Phil's kit- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJmJ9oQXObk&feature=related

Back in the 80's/90's DW did a finish called "Superman's hair" that looked beautiful under the lights. I inquired about the availabilty of that finish and the response was that particular finish was no longer available.
Ludwig recently introduced the "black galaxy" and Yamaha also has a great looking black sparkle. Ugh... so many choices!

I like black for all the classic reasons, but a black wrapped kits smacks of cheesy entry-level cheapness to me. Problem is that you can't tell black wrap from nice piano black lacquer from even 5 feet away.

On the last few kits / wood snares I've ordered, I've gone with a simple black or charcoal stain. That way it's still black-ish but you can still see the wood grain, which I think looks classy and sets it apart from something more generic.

Thats exactly why i don't like black. Like most people, I first started drumming on a black wrapped started kit and when the chance came to either have the same colour or get a nice, glossy autumn fade finish, I couldn't hold myself back.

Just remember, black woodgrain, or any other regular maple wood grain only looks like the color. You don't see the wood grain from any kind of distance.

Yes.. Exactly.

Black is great though, and anyway, after all, you can't hear the colour in the recording, LOL.

Cheers.

Back