WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?

All I have are two toms, at least that are playable. Peace and goodwill.

I don't get the animosity. I assumed from the OP that the sound guy (or girl) wanted to know how may toms were being used so that he could allocate the proper number of microphones, stands, cables and PA channels. Perhaps we drummers are so used to being put down and asked to compromise that we get a little sensitive. Maybe it's just a straightforward question.

I don't get the animosity. I assumed from the OP that the sound guy (or girl) wanted to know how may toms were being used so that he could allocate the proper number of microphones, stands, cables and PA channels. Perhaps we drummers are so used to being put down and asked to compromise that we get a little sensitive. Maybe it's just a straightforward question.

Hence my original answer of "seventeen".

For the record, I was joking. I treat the sound guy like I'm trying to get a second date out of them. The more they like me, the more they want to put in the effort to make me sound good.

I really don't see how that isn't a legitimate question either. I usually get asked how many vocal mics we'll need.

I can't come up with one single reason for the sound guy to need to ask the drummer how many toms he uses.

I can't come up with one single reason for the sound guy to need to ask the drummer how many toms he uses.

I'm just picturing the drummer getting there early to a gig as we so often do, gear all bagged up on your little cart and the sound guy greets you before you're unpacked.

Am I missing something here?

in my 20 + years of gigging , touring, and doing sessions I have never been asked that question and cannot for the life of me think of a reason why it would be asked

unless someone rolls into the venue with an absurd amount of drum cases.... or like 4 flight cases .... and the guy is wondering what sort of ridiculous monstrosity you are about to put on the stage what would be the point of the question ?

it's like if he walked up to the bass player and asked how many cabinets he will be using tonight....

why does it matter.... would he have to tap into his secret stash of mics that he keeps in the rabbit hole for drummers who use more than 3 toms ?

just a bizarre question

Last edited:
.......with the goal of getting the guy on my side. Rule #1 in dealing with audio engineers, don't peeve them off.

I think Larry's comment was the best.
"Rule #1 in dealing with audio engineers, don't peeve them off."

Apparently, we don't know what the original posters' point was.

The sound guy comes up to you before the gig and he asks you; "How many toms are you using tonight?"
And you ask him; "How many mics are you using tonight?"

You both stare at each other for a while, both thinking "This guy is clueless".................
Great way to start a musical relationship.

in my 20 + years of gigging , touring, and doing sessions I have never been asked that question and cannot for the life of me think of a reason why it would be asked
I had to ask that question twice over the last weekend Tony. In both cases, the bands hadn't completed the stage tech questionnaire satisfactorily, & during setup, it was becoming apparent that a larger than expected number of DI feeds were needed. As I was limited to 16 channels, it was getting close. I actually ran the desk at capacity 3 times over the weekend.

Granted though, most events will run a bigger desk than that, & I would have too if the tech riders were completed fully as requested. Sometimes, bands just don't help themselves.

I had to ask that question twice over the last weekend Tony. In both cases, the bands hadn't completed the stage tech questionnaire satisfactorily, & during setup, it was becoming apparent that a larger than expected number of DI feeds were needed. As I was limited to 16 channels, it was getting close. I actually ran the desk at capacity 3 times over the weekend.

Granted though, most events will run a bigger desk than that, & I would have too if the tech riders were completed fully as requested. Sometimes, bands just don't help themselves.

You did a festival with only 16 channels? Brave man. Very brave. I would've rented a 32 channel console at least.

You did a festival with only 16 channels? Brave man. Very brave. I would've rented a 32 channel console at least.
I run the A&H Mixwiz3 whenever possible, simply because it's bombproof. It has more headroom in all areas than almost any other desk I know. It's way "real world" better than other makes IMHO, from the gain sections through to EQ, & even the separate sub drive amongst other features, it's got the lot. Maybe I'll pick up a GL2400 if I can find a demo unit somewhere ;) Local hire stuff is all Soundcraft or A&H Zed, neither of which I'm as happy with.

I run the A&H Mixwiz3 whenever possible, simply because it's bombproof. It has more headroom in all areas than almost any other desk I know. It's way "real world" better than other makes IMHO, from the gain sections through to EQ, & even the separate sub drive amongst other features, it's got the lot. Maybe I'll pick up a GL2400 if I can find a demo unit somewhere ;) Local hire stuff is all Soundcraft or A&H Zed, neither of which I'm as happy with.

No Yamaha presence in England? For a festival that you just did, I think a 32-channel Yamaha M7 would've been perfect! And with the digital capabilities, you could store different mixes for each band, as effects and dynamics are built into each channel. I'm biased by Yamaha audio stuff since that's what we get here in the Magic Kingdom, obviously ;)

No Yamaha presence in England? For a festival that you just did, I think a 32-channel Yamaha M7 would've been perfect! And with the digital capabilities, you could store different mixes for each band, as effects and dynamics are built into each channel. I'm biased by Yamaha audio stuff since that's what we get here in the Magic Kingdom, obviously ;)
Plenty of Yamaha stuff around. I have two small (budget) Yamaha desks that I use for small/backup stuff, & I've used their bigger pro stuff too. All good gear, but A&H (not ZED) has the edge, certainly in terms of build & headroom.

A digital desk is fine, but I see no value in a "set up & play" situation. Sure, for multiple venue tours or anywhere where there's the luxury of sound checks, they're great. Andy hates fully digital boards for live though. I need intuitive & tactile. I can't be doing with sub menus when I need to act fast, although I do like the cabling benefits :)

I run the A&H Mixwiz3 whenever possible, simply because it's bombproof. It has more headroom in all areas than almost any other desk I know. It's way "real world" better than other makes IMHO, from the gain sections through to EQ, & even the separate sub drive amongst other features, it's got the lot.

I'm with you on that! I LOVE my MixWizard! Best. Board. Ever.

I've only known of one reason to ask the question. When I was asked at bar gigs I translated it to mean, "We're short on mics / mic stands and I'm afraid the toms will have to rely on overheads".

Guys it was a straight forward question although I sure did enjoy reading some of the posts. You guys are crazy. Let me explain:

I have been having a fun time with an engineer I work with in the studio on a weekly basis because of this question. Now I change my set up from time to time depending on the music i'm going to play or if I just feel like it. When your in the studio as much as I am which is almost every day trust me your always looking for new choices. So this engineer last week said to me. "Hey Joe how many toms are you using tomorrow? My reply was "2 up" one down". Then he said in a smart guy tone "you mean 3". I explained to him that if i had said 3 that could mean a number of different set ups. Hence the correct explanation is 2 up one down. I was just trying to pass on some information I had no idea it would be such a umm lets say colorful post.

Guys it was a straight forward question although I sure did enjoy reading some of the posts. You guys are crazy. Let me explain:

I have been having a fun time with an engineer I work with in the studio on a weekly basis because of this question. Now I change my set up from time to time depending on the music i'm going to play or if I just feel like it. When your in the studio as much as I am which is almost every day trust me your always looking for new choices. So this engineer last week said to me. "Hey Joe how many toms are you using tomorrow? My reply was "2 up" one down". Then he said in a smart guy tone "you mean 3". I explained to him that if i had said 3 that could mean a number of different set ups. Hence the correct explanation is 2 up one down. I was just trying to pass on some information I had no idea it would be such a umm lets say colorful post.

I see what you're getting at Joe

what is one up ,one down to me is two toms to an engineer .... but I would most likely never reply ... two toms ...now that I think about it .... not even really sure why

it's how we reply that is definitely interesting

Back