Rodney Holmes

bagsy911

Don't know if there has been a topic on him yet, personally one of my favorite drummers. Absolutely LOVE his signature cowbell groove!!

RodneyHolmes_RH14A.jpg

I think he's a great drummer. i loved his MD2005 performance. that cowbel groove he does in his solo is ace, id love to see the music for that or something.

Hey punctured, thanks for transcription, that will be a fun one to practice. Yeah I agree that Rodney is an incredible drummer and I probably watch his performance at the 2005 MD Fest more than any other on that video.

Last edited:
If you guys are in to Rodney, you should check out his solo cd "12 Months of October". Cool electronica/Rock cd with some great drumming.

Also check him out on Steve Kimock's "Eudemonic". If any of you guys have itunes, there is a Kimock Podcast with a ton live shows, and Rodney is the drummer on all of them.

This guy is awesome. I first saw him with Santana and thought who is this kid? His timing is as good if not better than any drummer I have ever heard, and that's quite a few.

If you guys are in to Rodney, you should check out his solo cd "12 Months of October". Cool electronica/Rock cd with some great drumming.

Also check him out on Steve Kimock's "Eudemonic". If any of you guys have itunes, there is a Kimock Podcast with a ton live shows, and Rodney is the drummer on all of them.

It's owsome too see there are fellow Kimock Fans! I think Rodney's drumming with Kimock is some of the greatest on point drumming I've ever heard!

Came across his website recently:

http://www.rodneyholmes.com/

Show dates look a bit outdated, though.

Was he fired from Santana, or why did he leave?

I'm pretty sure he was mentioned in a 2005 or 2006 issue of Modern Drummer. This is when he was with Steve Kimock. I belive he was asked to leave Santana. I'm not 100% sure why, but I think it might have been because he was too much for Santana. WOW! I wish I was that good. He's alittle too open and expressive in his playing and I dont think that Santana dug it.

To get the actual expliantion you should check his issue in Modern Drummer.

To this day, I still find his cowbell groove mind-boggling.

He is about to tour Japan, Indonesia, Thailand etc. with Bill Evans and Randy Brecker's Soulbop Band including Robben Ford, Steve Lukather, Darryl Jones,etc.

I've been checking out his work with the Steve Kimock band lately. The guy is amazing. My new favorite drummer.

Back