Airplane travel with gear

DrummerBoy95

Hey guys,

So a friend of mine, currently on vacation in the US, has agreed to do me the favour of bringing me back a cymbal when he returns from vacation, because here (in Peru) there is very little choice of quality cymbals. I've travelled (to and from Europe) a few times with cymbals and snares myself and have never had any trouble with customs: they are usually even interested to know what I'm carrying. I usually have a cymbal bag with me, so I guess that helps. My friend would really only be carrying the cymbal (in some sort of wrap, I hope) and his hand luggage. Have you guys ever had trouble travelling with gear, specifically cymbals? I'm just worried that they'll stop him at the airport.
cheers :)

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to pass the link off to my friend.
What I am more worried about is if they will let him travel with hand luggage AND the cymbal: I'm not sure how strict they are on hand luggage in the airplane, but they might tell him to send it off as checked bag luggage, which would be worrying, because sending off a 20" ride in a bag, and have it be tossed around... I get nightmares only thinking about it!

I purchased 2 hi hat cymbals in London and flew them back to the USA just last October. I carried them on the plane with me, I didn't check them. No problems at all.

He should be able to carry them in the cabin as long as he's otherwise carrying on the right number/type of bags. 20" is the largest size that will fit in the overhead bins; he'll have to ask a flight attendant to stow anything larger, which they might not be willing to do-- they could make him check the cymbals, which you don't want.

Back