Build Quality? - Ludwig Classic Maple, Keystone, and Gretsch Brooklyn

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Hi! I'd like to get some comparisons of the drum lines in the subject in regards to quality of the build. I'm talking about wrap, hardware, etc...

Here's an example... I've owned a Classic Maple kit, as well as a DW Collectors kit. The overall "feel" of the wrap, hardware, etc... was much higher on the DW kit. For the floor tom legs, you'd have to tighten them on the Classic Maples, wiggle them a bit, then tighten them more. The DW had none of that and overall, seemed nicer to me.

With that said... I'm wanting to purchase my "last" drumset (ha ha, I know that's not reality) and I want something that is the highest quality possible at around the $2k mark.

I also want specific sizes and kits from the three lines in the subject are available right now online without having to place a special order.

Thoughts? Is the Gretsch Brooklyn "nicer" compare to the Classic Maple or Keystone?

Another example is that I bought the Ludwig Classic Maple set used, but the wrap was coming up at the seams on all drums. The wrap also felt thin. The DW not so.

So why not just get a DW? I didn't have good experiences with the sound of the kit I owned, plus they're alot of money. LOL

I like both Ludwig kits but the Brooklyn's are beautiful, kinda wished they stayed with shallower bass drums though since they were going after the vintage vibe..IMO.

I'm sure you could get a beautiful CM kit for the same $ though. the keystone's are probably the worst out of the 3 for build quality but that's not too say they're no good the QC is still great on them.

It's all about what sounds best to you the build quality is going to be great on either kit.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

I like both Ludwig kits but the Brooklyn's are beautiful, kinda wished they stayed with shallower bass drums though since they were going after the vintage vibe..IMO.

I'm sure you could get a beautiful CM kit for the same $ though. the keystone's are probably the worst out of the 3 for build quality but that's not too say they're no good the QC is still great on them.

It's all about what sounds best to you the build quality is going to be great on either kit.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead

Thanks man. I posted this first, then did some searching and saw a post from you where you own(ed) both the Keystone and the Gretsch Brooklyn (I think that was you?) Funny!

I have no way of hearing either kit in person, which sucks. I've called all over the area and can't find anything in stock anywhere.

I also don't really understand the GENERAL differences in tone between Gretsch and Ludwig. From what I can tell, it sounds like Ludwigs are generally more resonant with more sustain and the Gretsch sound is maybe warmer with less sustain?

Heck, I dunno... Urgh. Trying to pick the perfect high-end kit is incredibly difficult when you can't touch or hear any of them.

The new Ludwig Keystone brackets for toms are awesome. Had them on my Classic Maples. Rock solid, grip firmly without having to overtighten them, and had memory locks.

Why is thick wrap better? The glass glitter wrap on my CMs was quite thick and had a kinda ugly seam to boot.

Keystones and Classic Maples are both made-in-the-USA in Monroe, NC. Don't know why there would be a difference in quality.

I think you are looking at great lines in all cases. The sounds of the three you mentioned will be different, and that is what I think you need to consider first. I read a thread (I think it was Jammin:Joe's) that was saying the drum makers used to all get their wraps from the same manufacturer and just named them differently. I don't think things like wrap are going to lead you toward any particular choice.

I think you are looking at great lines in all cases. The sounds of the three you mentioned will be different, and that is what I think you need to consider first. I read a thread (I think it was Jammin:Joe's) that was saying the drum makers used to all get their wraps from the same manufacturer and just named them differently. I don't think things like wrap are going to lead you toward any particular choice.

I hear exactly what you're saying, but things like the wrap coming up at the seams and the hardware not feeling the best annoy me. I'd still say the Classic Maples are probably in the lead, though.

I would love to setup the three kits I'm considering side-by-side to compare the sound and quality, but that's not gonna happen. Sucks!

The new Ludwig Keystone brackets for toms are awesome. Had them on my Classic Maples. Rock solid, grip firmly without having to overtighten them, and had memory locks.

Why is thick wrap better? The glass glitter wrap on my CMs was quite thick and had a kinda ugly seam to boot.

Keystones and Classic Maples are both made-in-the-USA in Monroe, NC. Don't know why there would be a difference in quality.

The Keystones being a lower price had me wondering about the quality. I haven't seen one in person, so I'm curious.

Keystones are only offered in limited sizes, configurations, and finishes. Classic Maples are offered in a huge variety of sizes and finishes. That's really what you're getting for the extra cost.

Keystones are only offered in limited sizes, configurations, and finishes. Classic Maples are offered in a huge variety of sizes and finishes. That's really what you're getting for the extra cost.

Thanks for the clarification. There are other differences like the hardware, wood, etc..., so I wasn't sure if those things were cheaper too.

Thanks for the clarification. There are other differences like the hardware, wood, etc..., so I wasn't sure if those things were cheaper too.

The keystones are Oak/Maple/Oak shells while the CM are 7ply maple I believe. just for clarification the only Ludwig kit I own is a set of EPIC "Downbeats"...lol

i've been wanting a 26" kit lately wish The keystones offered one, the keystones are sweet indeed but like Soupy said sizes are limited so that probably the cheaper price.

Bonzolead

The keystones are Oak/Maple/Oak shells while the CM are 7ply maple I believe. just for clarification the only Ludwig kit I own is a set of EPIC "Downbeats"...lol

i've been wanting a 26" kit lately wish The keystones offered one, the keystones are sweet indeed but like Soupy said sizes are limited so that probably the cheaper price.

Bonzolead

Gotcha. The issue I'm facing with most kits I check out is that the bass drum depth is more than 14". I realize there may not be a huge difference between 14" and 16" depths, but my favorite kick drum now is a 14"x22" and I'm ALMOST dead set on getting the 14" depth.

I've got 4 sets of Keystones, all excellent quality on both shells & hardware. The only possible exception is the BD claws they've been using from the Centennial line, but that may just be my personal issue. However, Ludwig is now making a Keystone claw.

I've got Classic Maples from over the past dozen years, and the quality on those has also been excellent (except for a clear-coat yellowing problem on a particular finish, which Ludwig has since discontinued.)

It's easy to try and write off any company because they have occasional QC problems, and Ludwig has certainly had a few. But they're absolutely back on track and producing excellent drums.

Bermuda

I have a set of Keystone and have been very happy with every aspect. Build quality, finish and detail. The hardware is great. Looks good and performs outstanding. I have a number of other kits and use the Keystones the most. Love the 24x14 kick. Given the price point they're a great value as well.

I ended up just purchasing a Ludwig Classic Maple set in green sparkle with the following sizes:

16X24 bass
9x13 rack tom
16x16 floor tom
16x18 floor tom

Yes, you read that right. I ended up "giving in" and dismissing the requirement for a 14" depth on the bass drum. I did that, because I just got a smoking deal on this set (brand new.)

Hopefully, I'll fall in love with the 16" depth. I'll post pics and whatever when I get it next week. Thanks everyone!

Here's a picture of the kit I just bought. I'm stoked!

Attachments

• ludwig1.JPG
    ludwig1.JPG
    796.6 KB · Views: 9,886
Before I bought a new kit last year with a 16X22 bass drum, I had always owned 14" bass drums. The 16" depth has a great sound. No problems getting in in or out of a car. An 18" deep bass would get a little awkward transporting it in a car.

Before I bought a new kit last year with a 16X22 bass drum, I had always owned 14" bass drums. The 16" depth has a great sound. No problems getting in in or out of a car. An 18" deep bass would get a little awkward transporting it in a car.

Yeah, I was thinking mostly about the feel. I'm still very much developing my right foot and my 14"x22" bass drum feels the best. I also have a 16"x22", but I admit I haven't spent as much time dialing it in. Perhaps I'd like it just as much if I did.

I'm gambling a little on this new kit with the 16" bass drum depth, but I couldn't pass up a good deal and decided to give it a shot.

NICE!!!! I think that's green glass glitter. I just saw that kit on Ebay, while window shopping. :)

Congrats!

NICE!!!! I think that's green glass glitter. I just saw that kit on Ebay, while window shopping. :)

Congrats!

That's it! It was posted last night or today. Store Demo with no signs of use. It was already listed at a crazy price, but I called and worked something slightly better out! ;)

Back