My Resurrected Gretsch Kit

ChrisCirino

Well I finally got around to digging my old Gretsch's out of their cases and setting them up for the first time in a decade. A friend and I built this kit around 1989 from a mismatched round badge 20" bass drum and 14" tom. We found the two stop sign 8" & 10" short stack toms in a pile of old drums at a local shop. We were able to strip down the BD and tom and finish them to match the newer toms. I played this kit as my main gigging kit until 2002 when I switched to a DW kit in similar small sizes.

Gretsch (Stop Sign Badge)
5"X8" Short Stack Tom
6"X10" Short Stack Tom

Gretsch (Round Badge)
10"X14" Tom
14"X20" Bass Drum

Craviotto (Unlimited)
5.5"X14"

Zildjian (A Custom)
8" Splash
10" Stack
13" K/Z Hats
16" Crash
17" Projection Crash
18" Crash
18" China
20" Projection Ride

DW Rack & Hardware

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 728
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 568
looks great!
How did it feel to play it again after all these years?

That's a fantastic set, and I can't believe you did not touch it for years!!! I hope that now you will at least constantly switch between the DW (which certainly is another fantastic set) and the Gretsch.

I like very much those kits with relatively unusual sizes, because they can give you very original sounds and you can accordingly give a very particular taste to the music you play.

Gretsch and Craviotto. Sure the hell can't go wrong there. I got a Round Badge, in 22, 13, 16 .... so I know exactly what you're all happy about. Looks like a good refinish match, too.​

Love the DW's tom sizes, I'm a big fan of short toms. I like a kit with lower height so it's perfect for me.

Back