Double Bass Techniques for Building Speed?

kirill2424

I have a double bass pedal, and I'm wondering if there's any other exercises I could do to speed up my double bass. I'm mainly worried about fast single strokes right now.

Right now I'm simply doing single strokes slow and then gradually speeding it up. I'm experimenting on using more twitchy ankle action rather than leg action (if that makes any sense?)

Any help?

Hey Kirill!!

I got bob burgett's book "progressive double bass drumming" and it really helps for building speed and coordination.

Besides your mainly in single strokes I find quite useful do double strokes and paradiddles with your feet, really enhances your stamina and endurance ( at least for me )

hope this helps

Victor

I have seen alot of people get really fast using the "twitchy ankle action" but it sacrifices power and sounds uneven. Unless you want to have to use triggers, practice using your legs and really wack the drum. the best way i always thought was to get a metronome and just practice single strokes as long as you can at a comfortable but challenging pace. if you do that at least 15 minutes 4 times a week you will be fine. Also practice rythms that demand the left foot to start out on a roll: RLRL L LRLRL L LRLRL] I got REALLY fast off of that one :) also it builds the strength in your left foot.

This has been my method for a while;

Play 16ths in a sufficient bpm, like 150. Then play simple patterns with your hands on top, syncopated or not. For example play a pattern with your right hand and mimic with your left hand. Do that for a while, and you make the 16ths a habit, you almost forget that you do them. I believe that is the best way to get control and speed. Getting used to it. Makin it a habit. Excuse my bad English.

Play along to your favourite metal/double-bass songs. Of course, make sure the songs you play along to are just out of your comfort range speedwise - it would not be advisable to try playing along to a 230BPM song when your top double-bass speed is 140BPM 16th-notes. So, using this as an example, play along to songs that are in the 150-160BPM range, and within a week or two you'll notice a significant improvement in both speed and stamina (given enough hard work/practice).

I'm assuming you're new at this double pedal thing:
Make sure your set up is comfortable. Don't sit too low.
Set the click to 100 BPM.
Play 16th with the feet under a basic backbeat.
Do this for 30 minutes non stop
Repeat 4x weekly for 6 weeks.
Write me and thank me after the 6 weeks are up.

While playing, experiment with using different muscles and learn how to get a smooth, economical motion going. FEEL what is going on and make sure you take mental notes as to which methods work best.

Don't try to get too fancy and don't try to play ANYWHERE near your top speed. You must go slowly so that you can concentrate on form and balance.

Your playing will jump to a new level if you do this correctly.

Good luck.

Back