89 KB · Views: 2,485
  • q drum co. 1.png
    q drum co. 1.png
    408.8 KB · Views: 2,478
  • q drum co. 3.png
    q drum co. 3.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 2,448
Pearl Export 90-93 era (24 / 14 / 18)
Pearl Chrome 14x6 snare (Pearl Maple Shell 14x8 incoming)
Sabian APX Cymbals (15hh, 24r, 20c, 20c)

14886190265_c2c56c5e18_c.jpg

14699525200_8810c7b2ee_c.jpg

14699598928_feeaacb890_c.jpg

I don't think that's off-camera flash. There's a big diffused window behind the kit. Am I right?

On some shots, the light is very concentrate / overexposed so I thought it was made w/ a wireless flash,
but you were right, I checked the EXIFS and no flash was triggered...

Phil.

Last edited:
Here's my four piece, Ludwig Signet Gigabeat.
83b90588-311a-46aa-a1b3-bf66389ccca0_zps708d2f22.jpg

eb10fc7d-add7-4581-93eb-436fd6a6e9f7_zps787d2f6a.jpg

49db4ef4-f938-4e8b-939e-526968368c5b_zps3d0b3639.jpg

Another Star made set... Bollero
5 pieces.. but used as a 4 pcs set, either 12 or 13" tom.
12" on holder
13 on snare stand

looks bloody red, sexy..... sweet

Bollero_redp02_____00.JPG

Bollero-redpearl001.JPG

My "Island kit". I might be the fifth owner. It was being used as a rental kit, so the appearance is a bit...meh.

They're CB MX drums. 20" kick, 12" rack tom, 14" "floor" tom, 14" snare, all poplar. I have a 10" tom, too, but that's in the process of being refurbished. Once that vile burgundy wrap comes off, there's some really pretty wood under there. Sandpaper and teak oil make it look pretty nice. I might refinish all the lugs and hoops gloss black. That'll look sharp against the blonde wood. Maybe I'll post an "after" pic once I get off my ass and actually do it. ;-) I'm definitely adding Gibraltar tom suspension mounts and moving the toms off the bass and onto stands. All in good time.

They sound pretty good, which surprises most people. I had to redo a couple of the bearing edges because they were beat to piss. (Plus the previous owner had put those blasted Remo Muff'l rings under the Pinstripes on the toms. Those hit the trash as soon as I got them home, I promise you.) I flatter myself I know how to tune. A good tune and a few pieces of Moongel have them sounding acceptable, if not exactly awesome. Even with the beat-to-piss old ebony Pinstripes, the toms now have good sustain and tone. The bass has a nice thump, even with only a single-ply batter head and a throw pillow. New skins are on the way (Evans EC2 coated for the toms and an EMAD2 for the bass). I'm of the opinion that good heads, good bearing edges, and good tuning make good-sounding drums, not price or brand. I've heard multi-kilobuck kits that sound like bollocks, and I've been given kits for free which sounded awesome, even in the studio. I'm not replacing the front bass head, because I imagine the stories that came with each sticker are pretty epic. I don't know, because it came that way, but it amuses me, so it stays.

Cymbals are a mix that came with the kit. They also need a good cleaning. From left to right:

20" Zildjian Z Power Smash
15" Sabian AAX Studio Crash
20" Sabian AA Medium Heavy Ride
12" Wuhan splash over 14" Zildjian ZBT Plus hats
18" Sabian AA Medium Crash

I'm thinking of selling the Power Smash because I don't even know what it's for. I suspect it's something for metal drummers to annihilate, but I've never heard of it. After shopping around (well, the best I can, since the nearest decent drum shop is a 3-hour flight away), I'm definitely replacing the hats with a pair of 14" Istanbul Agop Xist. I cannot abide the ZBTs. Ordering the Agops next week. I may just stack one of the ZBT hats on the Power Smash and see what kind of dreadful noise it makes.

Attachments

• CB-MX-4-pc.jpg
    CB-MX-4-pc.jpg
    689.1 KB · Views: 2,285
Another Star made set... Bollero
5 pieces.. but used as a 4 pcs set, either 12 or 13" tom.
12" on holder
13 on snare stand

looks bloody red, sexy..... sweet

Bollero_redp02_____00.JPG

Bollero-redpearl001.JPG

I totally dig how the badge tells you those drums are of the "finest quality" - just in case you missed it ;)
I had a Kent drumset like that and loved it - it was trashed but it served it's purpose very well.
Viva la stencil kits!

My "Island kit". I might be the fifth owner. It was being used as a rental kit, so the appearance is a bit...meh.

They're CB MX drums. 20" kick, 12" rack tom, 14" "floor" tom, 14" snare, all poplar. I have a 10" tom, too, but that's in the process of being refurbished. Once that vile burgundy wrap comes off, there's some really pretty wood under there. Sandpaper and teak oil make it look pretty nice. I might refinish all the lugs and hoops gloss black. That'll look sharp against the blonde wood. Maybe I'll post an "after" pic once I get off my ass and actually do it. ;-) I'm definitely adding Gibraltar tom suspension mounts and moving the toms off the bass and onto stands. All in good time.

They sound pretty good, which surprises most people. I had to redo a couple of the bearing edges because they were beat to piss. (Plus the previous owner had put those blasted Remo Muff'l rings under the Pinstripes on the toms. Those hit the trash as soon as I got them home, I promise you.) I flatter myself I know how to tune. A good tune and a few pieces of Moongel have them sounding acceptable, if not exactly awesome. Even with the beat-to-piss old ebony Pinstripes, the toms now have good sustain and tone. The bass has a nice thump, even with only a single-ply batter head and a throw pillow. New skins are on the way (Evans EC2 coated for the toms and an EMAD2 for the bass). I'm of the opinion that good heads, good bearing edges, and good tuning make good-sounding drums, not price or brand. I've heard multi-kilobuck kits that sound like bollocks, and I've been given kits for free which sounded awesome, even in the studio. I'm not replacing the front bass head, because I imagine the stories that came with each sticker are pretty epic. I don't know, because it came that way, but it amuses me, so it stays.

Cymbals are a mix that came with the kit. They also need a good cleaning. From left to right:

20" Zildjian Z Power Smash
15" Sabian AAX Studio Crash
20" Sabian AA Medium Heavy Ride
12" Wuhan splash over 14" Zildjian ZBT Plus hats
18" Sabian AA Medium Crash

I'm thinking of selling the Power Smash because I don't even know what it's for. I suspect it's something for metal drummers to annihilate, but I've never heard of it. After shopping around (well, the best I can, since the nearest decent drum shop is a 3-hour flight away), I'm definitely replacing the hats with a pair of 14" Istanbul Agop Xist. I cannot abide the ZBTs. Ordering the Agops next week. I may just stack one of the ZBT hats on the Power Smash and see what kind of dreadful noise it makes.

Nice kit! New heads and a tune will definitely give the island kit a new sound. Apart from the zbt hats, you got some good quality cymbals. Why not get AA hats and complete the set?

Nice kit! New heads and a tune will definitely give the island kit a new sound.

Thank you!

Apart from the zbt hats, you got some good quality cymbals. Why not get AA hats and complete the set?

Mainly because I'm not entirely impressed with any of the AAs I have. I know they're quality cymbals - and they do sound pro when I play out! - but it's just not "my sound," you know? The only one I really like is the 15" crash.

Partly because I got over the urge toward brand uniformity 20 years ago. ;-) That's not knocking anyone who plays one brand exclusively - if that's what you like to do, it's not my place to tell anyone otherwise. I'll play whatever gives me the sound I want. I don't care what label is on it. Hell, I don't care if it's intended to be a percussion instrument! If it makes a sound I like, I'll figure out a way to include it.

Partly because I have an uncontrollable urge to be weird. I'll probably have the only pair of Agops between Caracas and Miami, and it'll be fun when people see the logo and start asking questions. ;-)

Thank you!

Mainly because I'm not entirely impressed with any of the AAs I have. I know they're quality cymbals - and they do sound pro when I play out! - but it's just not "my sound," you know? The only one I really like is the 15" crash.

Partly because I got over the urge toward brand uniformity 20 years ago. ;-) That's not knocking anyone who plays one brand exclusively - if that's what you like to do, it's not my place to tell anyone otherwise. I'll play whatever gives me the sound I want. I don't care what label is on it. Hell, I don't care if it's intended to be a percussion instrument! If it makes a sound I like, I'll figure out a way to include it.

Partly because I have an uncontrollable urge to be weird. I'll probably have the only pair of Agops between Caracas and Miami, and it'll be fun when people see the logo and start asking questions. ;-)

No problemo!

i see... yes sound is the important part. i just asked because you only mentioned swapping the hats. just assumed you like the AA's. ive oly heard the agops only and they sound good

No problemo!

i see... yes sound is the important part. i just asked because you only mentioned swapping the hats. just assumed you like the AA's. ive oly heard the agops only and they sound good

All those cymbals you see in the pic came with the kit as part of the package deal. I chose none of them myself. :-D I do appreciate the advice and insight. I considered a bunch of different hats, and there were lots of Sabian hats in the running.

All those cymbals you see in the pic came with the kit as part of the package deal. I chose none of them myself. :-D I do appreciate the advice and insight. I considered a bunch of different hats, and there were lots of Sabian hats in the running.

oooh ok. now i understand

My current (and only) kit.

PDP FS Birch series: 18x22, 10x12, 12x14, Pork Pie 6x13 Nyatoh snare

90's 13" Zildjian K/Z hats, 70's 16" Thin and Medium-Thin Zildjian Crashes, 1980 Paiste Rude Ride/Crash

DW 5000 single-braced hi-hat, DW 5000 BD pedal, DW puppy-bone for ride. Tama single-braced snare stand, Dixon and ???? cymbal stands. Roc-n-soc throne w/backrest

India Street wind chimes mounted on my original Ludwig 1400 cymbal stand.

Attachments

• Current kit pic.jpg
    Current kit pic.jpg
    487.4 KB · Views: 1,966
Back