DW Designer Series

Rickrollercoaster

Have you guys heard about the new Drum Workshop series based upon a more lower price or "affordable" drum kit? I think they look great from what I've seen in the catalog from NAMM and from the recent video. It seems that DW has some great products in store. Heres the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyCfhgR28Os

The Designer series "promo" starts at 2:30'ish

Their Facebook guru said that the Design Series drums will be offered as a shell pack consisting of 8x10, 9x12 and 14x16" toms, a 14" snare and 18x22" bass drum. Add-ons will be 7x8, 12x14 and 16x18". The initial finishes will be Satin White, Cherry Stain and Tobacco Burst, all with chrome hardware. They hit the streets in May.

The idea is that they will occupy that semi-pro spot in the lineup that used to be filled by PDP Platinums as far as pricing and manufacturing go. They will be made in Taiwan, with an expected price of about $1500.00 for a 5-pc. kit, which is pretty good considering the things they share with the upper-level lines. Anyone who was griping about the size of DW's turret lug should dig the half-sized mini-turrets that come with them. These are actually cast lugs with inserts, so they are not the same as the mini-lugs that they use on the piccolo toms (which are directly drilled and threaded).

And, for clarity's sake, they are actually called Design Series, not to be confused with Sonor's Designer Series. Of course, they could call them "Fred" and I'd still be curious to try them.

Anyone who was griping about the size of DW's turret lug should dig the half-sized mini-turrets that come with them. These are actually cast lugs with inserts, so they are not the same as the mini-lugs that they use on the piccolo toms (which are directly drilled and threaded).
Lug size is certainly a step in the right direction IMHO. Pity they're cast, but that's understandable given their price point.

What is the difference between these and the Performance series?

While I get that the massive Camco lug has issues, it is also a signature part of the DW look and appeal. It would make more sense if they wanted another series, to make something in a few finishes and sizes that looked like a "real" DW kit. Maybe do like Gretsch with the Renowns, take American shells and assemble them offshore for the savings. Street around $2K, maybe a bit less for a 4pc. They would sell the snot out of those. Folks who want specialized sizes or fancy finishes would still have to pony up for the Collectors stuff, but people with a bit less disposable income would be able to join the crowd as it were.

It is a lot more standardized (the finishes and the shell pack options)
It also has a different, more conventional grain orientation called HVLT (which as far as I can tell from John Good's description at NAMM is simply your average cross laminated shell with a fancy name)

While I get that the massive Camco lug has issues, it is also a signature part of the DW look and appeal. It would make more sense if they wanted another series, to make something in a few finishes and sizes that looked like a "real" DW kit. Maybe do like Gretsch with the Renowns, take American shells and assemble them offshore for the savings. Street around $2K, maybe a bit less for a 4pc. They would sell the snot out of those. Folks who want specialized sizes or fancy finishes would still have to pony up for the Collectors stuff, but people with a bit less disposable income would be able to join the crowd as it were.

It's precisely that signature look that DW protects the hell out of. They are so tight about the original Camco turrets that if I break a lug, I have to send the drum or at least the broken lug back to DW for a replacement (or take my chances with ebay). I don't mind the smaller lug as a way of defining a different series. I'm just happy it's not that horrid "peanut" that they used for the Concept drums. Even the PDP ovals were originally Workshop Series lugs.

KIS..I'm guessing your bent is towards solid machined lugs over zinc die-casts?

They look like nice drums, but I'm starting to lose track of all the series... Performance, Designer, Jazz, Classics, and Collectors.

They each all have a unique shell construction and wood combination.. I'm sure you've seen the videos and site, etc. I dig their approach to making each line specific to the sound you're looking for.. but yah, I chuckle at how it's now harder to keep track.

I also dig the mini turret lugs. What I will say "DAMNNNN YOUUUUUU" about is they never offer a 20x16 kick in their standard shell pack(s). I'm just a small niche of 20" kick drummers but it does really discourage me sometimes.

Guess I'll have to save up my extra pennies for the higher series where I can get that size kick :)

Had a chance to try them out. They have slightly thicker shell than the performers. The slightly thicker shells, or the clear ambassador batters seemed to make them loud and more powerful than I am used to with DW's. UV drying on the clear coat supposedly makes for more projection too? I am sure some coated heads would dial them in. I was sold at the price point, the four piece was 1,050.00 and the tobacco burst looked great. They look more expensive than the Performers, and the white badge looks better imo too.

I played these drums on my recent European Tour......They Sound Awesome.....I also remember playing them at the factory when they were in R&D......just what you'd expect from DW...... Eventhough, most of my kits are Collectors Maple, which are my personal favorites), I also have Performer and PDP Concept drums that I really love for certain thing as well.........I use DW drums because I like them......Love all the DW stuff.
Ciao for now,
Rick
JuiceNewtonPromo.html

I too, recently had a chance to play on a design kit at the Big Drum Bonanza and, I must say.....I was blown away by the tone and construction of these drums.

So much in fact that I bought a kit and, will be getting it in a few weeks. haha.

D

Yep. This is the kit I'm going to get when I finally get a new kit. I played them at GC when I was trying out a new bass pedal. Wonderful tone and good projection. I like the smaller turrets too. The kit looks fantastic in Satin White IMO. I would think this is perfect for a pro gigging kit, and it's a DW. I like supporting local companies, even though it's made in China or whatever.

Not that I can spend on drums right now, but I'd like to see that White Onyx FP applied to the rest of the lineup, not just the Frequent Flyers. Maybe it will be an option by the time I'm ready to shell out.

I like these Design series drums with the American Maple shells. An 'affordable' DW set, but in reality just a very nice high end PDP set. Nevertheless still awesome drums, and DW's are DW's, like a Corvette is a Corvette, is a Corvette....

Back