The BEST drummers in terms of great RHYTHM and great BEAT

Hjalmar

Hi folks!
I'm a guitarist who's very interested in drums and I'm especially interested in drummers who can pull off great solos that contain lots of great rhythms and great beats. So therefore I like drummers like Virgil Donati, Eric Moore, John Blackwell etc. and in some way it feels like hard rhythmic ideas are much more technically demanding than just fast drumming, right?
It's like every time I read about technical drummers I always hear about these drummers who can play really, really fast. I'd like to know of more drummers that really has got THE rhythm. Drummers who can play so that it sounds good and not just fast
Who do you people think are great drummers that play solos with lots of rhythmic ideas???

Some of my favorite drummers are as already written: Donati, Eric Moore, John Blackwell
Here is an example of rhythmic feel in my opinion:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlYTBNjzz0

In my opinion here are some of the best drummers with great rythm. Not only can they play great rythms but they play the perfect patterns for the song.

Dave Weckl
Carter Beauford
Marco Minnemann

My favorite metal drummers:
Blake Richardson
Chris Adler

In my opinion here are some of the best drummers with great rythm. Not only can they play great rythms but they play the perfect patterns for the song.

Dave Weckl
Carter Beauford
Marco Minnemann

My favorite metal drummers:
Blake Richardson
Chris Adler
¨

Thanks a lot man!!

I really enjoyed listening to Marco Minnemann. He was exactly what I was looking for

Aaron Spears has a MONSTER groove check him out
also listen to a drummer named jon theodore he used to play for the mars volta he is nasty

Vinnie Colaiuta, Jojo Mayer, Benny Greb, Damien Schmitt, Marco Minnemann, Dennis Chambers and Moritz Mueller.

Cool to see another Richie Hayward fan. I'd mention Stan Lynch (Tom Petty) who might have my favorite feel of all time. Michael Derosier (Heart). Both Mars Volta's drummers (so far), and Dave Grohl (who admittedly isn't much of a soloist, but chooses great parts and nails them). I wish Dave Weckl didn't have such a propensity to play uber-busy, because he actually has one of the sweetest feels ever.

And despite all complaints about rigidity and stiffness, and his over-rated chops, I've always loved Neil Peart's beat placement. To hear him and Steve Smith playing together with Jeff Berlin just slayed me.

Who are among the best drummers? That's easy. Go here: http://www.drummerworld.com/drummerchoice.html

I do agree with you that many of the drummers on that list are very good, obviously, and thanks cause I have never seen the list. I must also say that I'm a little sceptic about "the best" lists as many of the people who ends up on them seem to be people who only have been a member of a certain famous group.
I don't want to say too much because I ain't a real drummer so I don't really know how it goes with drummer-lists but when it comes to "the best" lists with guitarists, all of them who are on the list are just people who made it big in a mainstream kind of way. It's like they don't need to play very beautiful, the only thing guitarists need to gain in order to end up on a "the best" list is alot of money and recognition.
An example of a drummer who I, in my own opinion, don't think should end up on the best drummers in the world list is Ringo Starr. I agree if somebody sais that, well he wrote good songs or played just the way it was sound on the songs, however, I don't agree with that he was a good drummer:D
Anyways
Thank you very much for your reply:D

I really like Ringo's playing but he'd be the first to say that he couldn't play most of what Dave Weckl does. What would The Beatles sound like with Joey Baron or John Bonham behind the kit? Maybe some songs would work better and some worse. We'll never know. Would those guys be happy in The Beatles's setup? Probably not. History tells us that Ringo was a good fit and that's what matters.

Bands are like relationships. Someone may be smarter, sexier, richer and better-adjusted than your partner but they might not be a good match for you.

Still, I quite like these lists because it highlights great players you haven't heard or reminds you of those fine players that you've forgotten. The idea of "the best" in music is too subjective to get excited about IMO

An example of a drummer who I, in my own opinion, don't think should end up on the best drummers in the world list is Ringo Starr. I agree if somebody sais that, well he wrote good songs or played just the way it was sound on the songs, however, I don't agree with that he was a good drummer

Remember that some great drummers love Ringo. Guys like Mark Schulmann, Mike Shapiro, Abe Laboriel Jr. are big time Ringo fans. So quite obviously, he must have been doing something right, don't yout think?

And it's not just writing songs...

I really like Ringo's playing but he'd be the first to say that he couldn't play most of what Dave Weckl does. What would The Beatles sound like with Joey Baron or John Bonham behind the kit? Maybe some songs would work better and some worse. We'll never know. Would those guys be happy in The Beatles's setup? Probably not. History tells us that Ringo was a good fit and that's what matters.

Bands are like relationships. Someone may be smarter, sexier, richer and better-adjusted than your partner but they might not be a good match for you.

Still, I quite like these lists because it highlights great players you haven't heard or reminds you of those fine players that you've forgotten. The idea of "the best" in music is too subjective to get excited about IMO

Ringo's playing is barely audible in the mix. It would not have made much difference who was playing; you could scarcely hear the drums. Ringo was a good fit because his audible contribution was a tiny part of the whole sound. Yeah, around here I know that's like walking into the Vatican and saying God doesn't exist but that's how I feel.

I have always liked Vinnie Coliauta and Manu Katche. They play with lots of subtlety and are difficult to predict.

I think Ringo was having a good time playing in the earlier years because he could just have his way with it: bashing on cymbals and just rocking out. I think his playing had more energy to it and he was really having fun.

But then the 4-track stuff started happening and controlling sounds became of paramount importance. My feeling is is that he got his wings clipped during that process and didn't really know what to do once they started telling him to stop hitting his cymbals, taping towels over his heads, and basically telling him to get really bored with his drumming because anything else would be getting in the way.

I'm not sure I'd know what to do in that situation either. I feel kind of bad for him, actually. I still think he was a really cool drummer.

Ringo's playing is barely audible in the mix. It would not have made much difference who was playing; you could scarcely hear the drums.

Fair nuff, tho it depends on the song. He's far too buried in the mix in Got To Get You Into My Life. Still, I love his playing on the songs where he's more up in the mix, and there are plenty of them too.

But no matter how much I like him, I was just going in to bat for the old Ring because I disagree with the statment that he's not a good drummer, but when chatting about the "best" it's probably not great to get stuck on him. Lots of other players to enjoy.

Back