The BEST drummers in terms of great RHYTHM and great BEAT

Remember that some great drummers love Ringo. Guys like Mark Schulmann, Mike Shapiro, Abe Laboriel Jr. are big time Ringo fans. So quite obviously, he must have been doing something right, don't yout think?

And it's not just writing songs...

Yeah, you've got a point there:)

An example of a drummer who I, in my own opinion, don't think should end up on the best drummers in the world list is Ringo Starr. I agree if somebody sais that, well he wrote good songs or played just the way it was sound on the songs, however, I don't agree with that he was a good drummer:D

How many recordings did his drumming sell again?

To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.

Yeah, horrible drummer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Beatles'_record_sales

Last edited:
Nice... I dont wanna sound biased but Gavin Harrison blows me away everytime-finesse, power, and perfect placement of accents... as does J.P from Clutch... he lays SOOOO deep into the groove.... Along with Danny Carey, Bonzo, Jordan, Gadd... Is this a trick question?

I guess its all about chemistry and where the right beat fits just right. Its subjective to all.

Mu( long rant deleted) sic is the best......

Steve Gadd, JoJo Mayer, Benny Greb, Thomas Lang, Gavin Harrison in terms of everything

How many recordings did his drumming sell again?

To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.

Yeah, horrible drummer!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Beatles'_record_sales

I'm surprised you'd make that kind of conclusion. McDonald's must have the best food in the world because they're the single most popular vendor of food!

You can be a boring, predictable, barely audible drummer and still play on the best-selling mass-produced records ever. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I think Ringo was having a good time playing in the earlier years because he could just have his way with it: bashing on cymbals and just rocking out. I think his playing had more energy to it and he was really having fun.

But then the 4-track stuff started happening and controlling sounds became of paramount importance. My feeling is is that he got his wings clipped during that process and didn't really know what to do once they started telling him to stop hitting his cymbals, taping towels over his heads, and basically telling him to get really bored with his drumming because anything else would be getting in the way.

I'm not sure I'd know what to do in that situation either. I feel kind of bad for him, actually. I still think he was a really cool drummer.

That is very informative, thank you. Even then, people liked the concept of a drummer more than the reality of a drummer. I think he really did get his wings clipped but went along with it.

Real big fan of Nasheet Waits and Tyshawn Sorey in terms of rhythmic concepts. Jim Black is brilliant as well.

I'm surprised you'd make that kind of conclusion. McDonald's must have the best food in the world because they're the single most popular vendor of food!

You can be a boring, predictable, barely audible drummer and still play on the best-selling mass-produced records ever. The two are not mutually exclusive.

"It all starts with a great drum track." How many great producers have stated that fact? And that's what the Beatles got. In spades.

I do not class the need to eat food, which is what every animal has to survive, as an art. Eating is a basic bodily function. I do not believe people eating in a hurry, mothers dragging around a bunch of kids etc can in any way shape or form be placed in the same class as someone falling in love with a classic song propelled by a classic groove. Music is quite different. I certainly do not class music as a bodily function.

Often people put Ringo down for playing simply, but is this not what happened with Al Jackson at Stax, at Motown, In LA? Green onions has a straight 1/4 note pulse throughout. I have never seen or heard Al Jackson ridiculed for playing so simple a part. And yet it happens to Ringo all the time. Why? Because he did sell over a billion units and became a massive star, never to be forgotten as long as 20th century history remains recorded???

The fact of the matter is what he did worked.

Last edited:
A few less obvious great grooves:

Mick Fleetwood - Tusk, Rhiannon

Airto - that airy feel through much of the first RTF album

Nigel Olsen - Grey Seal, Loves Lies Bleeding

Jim Hodder - Your Gold Teeth, King of the World

The word '' Best'' it's subjective, if you pretend to classify and/or extract names from a big list of drummers, world wide...

For me, one of them (drummers) is John Henry Bonham.

A lot of people think that Bonham was pure thunderstorm and a big stroker, to put this on one side - He had an strong sense of swing, feel, rhythm and a unique beat.....which is desirable to many drummers (I include myself) to play it and live it at present.
Regarding great drum solos, well, that is something else - that Mr.Bonham explained it in his own language, sounds and effects for all of us.

Cheers,

for me

dennis chambers - loud jazz
billy cobham - inner mounting flame
julio baretto - iyabo
bill bruford - feels good to me
carter beuford - before these crowded street
richard christy - the sound of perseverance
tomas haake - destroy erase improve

TOMAS HAAKE - underrated the man is a machine

The fact that Haake is able to make the band's compositions GROOVE and SWING are no small achievements. Take something like "Bleed" or "New Millenium Cyanide Christ" and try to make it feel the way he does...

Other Faves in the Groove Department:
  • John Bonham
  • David Garibaldi
  • Benny Benjamin
  • Uriel Jones
  • Fred "Pistol" Allen
  • Steve Jordan
  • John "JR" Robinson
  • Harvey Mason
  • Morgan Rose
  • Bobby Blotzer

The fact that Haake is able to make the band's compositions GROOVE and SWING are no small achievements. Take something like "Bleed" or "New Millenium Cyanide Christ" and try to make it feel the way he does...
QUOTE]

yeah i cant help keep watching his stuff on youtube his playing is magic

Ziggaboo
Al Jackson
Levon Helm
"pistol" Allen
Uriel Jones
Benny Benjamin
James Gadson
George Recile - Way too underrated (plays in Bob Dylans current band)
stanton moore
Ndugu Chancelor
and many more...

In my opinion here are some of the best drummers with great rythm. Not only can they play great rythms but they play the perfect patterns for the song.

Dave Weckl
Carter Beauford
Marco Minnemann

My favorite metal drummers:
Blake Richardson
Chris Adler

I am sure this comment will not go down but I am going to say it anyway I really do not understand the fascination with Chris Adler. Mostly I hear 16th note bass drums and triplets on the bass drums and to be honest Dave Lombardo was doing this back in 1984 and faster so I find Chris Adler's playing a little boring. There I have said it.

I was listening to Thomas Pridgen on YouTube earlier and may just me and the fact that I like old fashioned rudiments but Thomas Pridgen's style really makes me think great drummer.

There are a few metal drummers I like but the best of them for me is Travis Orbin.

Colaiuta and Garibaldi for me. I tend to not put Weckl in that group as to my taste it's a little bit stiff. Sounds great with Oz Noy, though.

Ringo did plenty of cool and inventive stuff.

Back