Rock groups with distinctive drum sounds

The following bands have their snares tuned some what distinctively and sounds the same in more than one albums, I think. I am not talking about their capabilities but just the drum sound.

The Doors (almost all their albums have the same drum sound)
The Rolling Stones (70's albums from Black and Blue till Emotional Rescue)
The Who (From "Tommy" to "Who are you", the same drum sound)
AC/DC-- all albums from Back in Black, except Blow up your video, which has a different tuning)

(In other words, just from drum sounds I can recognize the bands)

there may be more.

Nickleback has a pretty distinct sound I think largely to Chad Kroeger's voice, and Daniel Adair has a pretty distinct kit sound as well.

Alex once said in an interview, in the later 80's He records all their albums using a 6.5X14 Tama Rosewood snare.

The Outfiled (remember them?).
Billy Squier
Rush
Led Zeppelin
The Who (Moon period).
Cream
Van Halen
Genesis / Phil Collins

METALLICA! that's why i dislike most of their stuff
The first few kiss albums

Funny, because it only sounded like that for one album. His snares dom Kill em All - Reload, doesn't.

Oh yeah you're right. I'm not too keen on Metallica.

But still you can tell it's St. Anger by the snare

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Metallica
Korn (old Korn)
Slayer
Guns N Roses
Pantera/Hellyeah

alo more really, i can't think of them all

Last edited:
~ Deep Purple / Ian Paice.

~ Black Sabbath / Bill Ward, era.

~ Vanilla Fudge, Cactus / Carmine Appice.

Last edited:
Interesting topic. Looking at the other replies, I'm guessing we're talking about the distintive sound of the DRUMS, not the drummers.

A few that leap to mind are Tool, Dream Theatre, and Pantera. I think a lot of what we're talking about has to do with JUST the snare drum sound, yes? In my mind, toms and cymbals aren't as easy to pin down as someone's hallmark snare sound.

Also the drummer for Anata. I forget his name but his cymbals always sound like crap, so that's how I know.

Electric Light Orchestra - Bev Bevan's drums

Interesting topic. Looking at the other replies, I'm guessing we're talking about the distintive sound of the DRUMS, not the drummers.

A few that leap to mind are Tool, Dream Theatre, and Pantera. I think a lot of what we're talking about has to do with JUST the snare drum sound, yes? In my mind, toms and cymbals aren't as easy to pin down as someone's hallmark snare sound.

yes, u got the point, chief.

Jeremy, yes, Bev Bevan's drums sound different, like beating on 100 snares at one time..., To me the whole ELO music seems overproduced.

If you listen to Dont Shoot Me I am only the piano Player By Elton... It sounds Nigel Olson is playing rack toms (instead of regular ones), the whole album has distinctive drum sound as well.

The Police has distinctive drum sound from albums Reggata till Synchronicity, I think it is Piccollo, so light and tight.

However Outlandos D amour has a deeper sound which I like than from all the other albums.

Ginger Baker had a very distinctive sound with Cream, I personally don't like it but it's distinctively his. John Bonham's sound can never be mistaken for someone else either. Whether it was the engineering or the way he hit or both, no one seems to be able to recreate his sound. Mitch Mitchell's style definitely led him to have his own unique sound as well.

You could always tell if it was Cream, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Vanilla Fudge/Cactus. All these Bands had their good bits and their bad bits, but they were their distinctive bits or drum sounds!!! on every record they made.

Back