Hoop measurement

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey all,

So when a catalog states they use 1.6mm hoops or 2.3mm hoops - what are they measuring? Thickness? Tallness? What?

I have a couple of Tama snares, one an Artwood maple, and the other a metalworks (both are 6.5x13) and I'd like to upgrade the batter hoops to diecasts, but maybe a jump to 2.3mm would be fine if I knew I had 1.6mm stock rims to begin with. So how does one know what size rims you have?

It's measuring thickness. The only practical way to measure this is with a caliper, or you can just look up the specs online. For triple flanged, I definitely prefer 2.3 mm, as it provides a more "solid" sound and holds the tuning much better. However in my book, die cast hoops are the way to go.

Thickness. Like edvia said, you could use a caliper, but actually just looking a 1.6mm vs a 2.3mm you can notice the difference. Look at the bottom of the hoop (the part that surrounds the head collar) and you can tell pretty easily.

You know what? I'll get pics for you and upload them.

Oh, and BTW... Diecast vs 2.3 vs 1.6 can turn into one heated argument.. beware of the words "upgrade".. In this case, thicker does not equal better, just different. Yamaha Recording Custom drums use 1.6mm hoops... just saying. ;)

Cheers.

Here you go, Bo.

As you can see, the amount of metal in a 2.3mm hoop is significantly larger.
Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 2.3 vs 1.6 hoops.jpg
    2.3 vs 1.6 hoops.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 478
  • 2.3 vs 1.6 hoops closeup.jpg
    2.3 vs 1.6 hoops closeup.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 413
beware of the words "upgrade".. In this case, thicker does not equal better, just different. Yamaha Recording Custom drums use 1.6mm hoops... just saying. ;)

Cheers.
This is absolutely the truth. Thickness/weight of the hoop is not a quality issue, it's a sound choice decision. Adding or taking away mass in the hoop has a significant affect on the character of the drum, especially head sustain (what most players perceive as sustain) It's true that the majority of cheaper/nasty hoops are 1,6mm thick, but that doesn't mean all 1.6mm hoops are crap. A few companies (most notably Pearl) have sought to develop a more accurate & stiffer 1.6mm hoop. If you have thinner shelled toms. 1.6mm hoops will allow for an open & fat sound, much more so than a 2.3mm hoop, & considerably more so than a die cast hoop.

S hoops are most worthy of consideration if you're looking for high quality of finish, rigidity, but less mass than die cast.

Well, I'm a diecast hoop kinda guy and am debating getting those on my snares or just going for a thicker hoop in general. But my reasoning isn't driven by sound, but by durability. The first time out with these 1.6 hoops both were mangled pretty easily and had to be replaced, so maybe 2.3 is all I need, but I do like the die cast hoops on my Starclassics and how they do focus the sound. But just to toughen up my two snares would be a big improvement. Due to the cost, I may just go with 2.3's since I'd be replacing both top and bottom, and my wood snare could use a tad bit more focusing.

I like 1.6mm hoops on toms, especially smaller ones, but for snares I do prefer 2.3mm.

I've also had snares with die cast hoops in the past but I'm finding the 2.3 hoops on both my Tama walnut and Ludwig COB give a little more tone and a better feel under the sticks.

... I may just go with 2.3's since I'd be replacing both top and bottom, and my wood snare could use a tad bit more focusing.
I'll second Andy on the S-Hoop suggestion. I bought them for both my snares, though I only use them on the batter sides right now. They're still 2.3 but are stiffer and have more mass than a traditional 2.3 so they start getting into die cast territory. The other thing I really like about them is the stick saver-ness of them. Very comfortable to play on and the rimshots are all that and a bag of chips.

I think the hoops on my old Superstars are 1.6, but I'm not positive. Might get new edges cut and beefier hoops for those guys to sharpen and focus the sound a bit.

I triple the vote for an S-hoop. Nice upgrade for my Pearl NOS Piccolo. Dried it up a bit (not as bad as a die cast) , and the tuning accuracy and rimshots are really great.
I too like the focus of Die casts...on certain drums.

Best,
Neal

I had been running some diecasts on my 402. Tonight,I put an S-Hoop on the batter side. I love it. I constantly rimshot but feel the diecasts were just too abrasive on this drum.The S-Hoop actually feels amazing to play.

UPDATE: So I ordered and received two sets of 13" 8-lug hoops (top and bottom) for my two 13" snares. They're the 2.3mm size and when I compare them to the originals that came with my Tamas (1.6mm) they're not that much bigger, but they are about 40% heavier, which definitely has focused both of my snares, added a little more weight. They just feel better. Rimshots are nice and the rims don't feel like they want to bend.

I thought about the S-hoops, and I avoided die casts because I didn't want to choke the drum unnecessarily. I think this will work out. But that's the big difference I discovered, they're a little bigger, but mostly they're heavier. And that's a good thing!

...S hoops are most worthy of consideration if you're looking for high quality of finish, rigidity, but less mass than die cast...

S hoops - can put a name to them now. Is that what you're using on your drums? I commented on them when you posted pics, - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93917 ,but hadn't heard of them before (a bit out of it, I guess - ha ha.)

But anyways, I like the looks of them, and think I'll give them a try sometime soon.

Still loving the S-Hoop. I've been rimshotting away, with the same sticks for a week.They hardly have a mark on them. I wish they made 12 holes for my Coliseums.

Back