Morten Lund

The Colonel

Silver Member
Maybe we're related...? (the Lunds all came from one area in Norway thousands of years ago...we're practically brothers!)

Anyway - I was checking out some Brian Blade this morning on Youtube and one of the "related" videos was this clip - so I clicked on it for kicks, not expecting much (he's a Lund, afterall!) and crap, this guy is awesome, and I have never come across him. The video says he's a "Danish drum legend" - love his fluidity, touch, rhythmic ideas...

Well, he's pretty frickin' fantastic(!) so if you know him, please give me some recs that you've really enjoyed. Thanks so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOaLQtMK5b8&feature=channel

Also, the trio in the vid is no slouch either. I honestly haven't been keeping up with all the latest jazz out there the past few years (LA will do that to you...) but these guys have reinvigorated me. (*love* the bassist's huuuuge sound - I am so sick of that whimpy dry bass sound)

What a great coincidence! I very recently discovered this chap through Mike Stern, and I am LOVING every second of the scarce footage I can find on youtube.

Now THIS is a groove!

Anyone have any idea of what he might be using as a crash here? Sounds great.

Just bought the Stefano Bollani album Gleda and Im really enjoying it. Fabulous brush playing.

Just discovered Morten Lund - Norbert Saemann (international artists relations manager with Meinl) shared Morten's performance at the Meinl Drum Festival 2013. Wow!

Here's Norbert's facebook statement:
--- When I heard Danish drummer Morten Lund for the first time in 2012, I knew right away that I would invite him to perform at our festival. And up until now, he has never played on any drum event before. He debuted at the 2013 Meinl Drum Festival with this incredible, highly musical, great sounding drum solo. He’s one of these great musicians who happen to play drums. ---

http://meinlcymbals.com/videos/Video/show/morten-lund-at-the-2013-meinl-drum-festival-955

Wow, that was great! I loved how he almost seemed to get somewhat violent with his kit at times. He would be all playing nice and relaxed, then POW! just whack the crap outta something, then go back to being all calm and relaxed. Good stuff!

Back