A peek inside JoJo Mayers head...

S

SickRick

Hey everybody,

if you're still searching for a summer-challange or just have way too much free time on your hands, you can now stop picking your brain about what to do and get to work!

The sickest Rick of this board brings you the hippest grooves, the flashyest fills, the fastest licks and the coolest phrasings right of the brain of JoJo Mayer onto this very site.

From Germany with love, here comes the big one: JoJo Mayer Performance 3 transcribed in detail with all stickings (and even the part that is cut out on the video here on Drummerworld) by his lordliness aka SickRick. Enjoy.

Before you ask: around 40 hours.

The pics are mainly here to impress the shit out of you. If you want to print it out and work on it, I highly recommend the PDF because of the better quality.

Bernhard: Do you want to embedd this on the main site right under the vid? That would certainly be an honour for me! I can mail you the pics in much better quality for that matter if you like, just PM me on that matter.

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer Performance 3.pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 620
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0001.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0001.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 4,370
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0002.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0002.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 4,445
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0003.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0003.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 4,235
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0004.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0004.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 4,219
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0005.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0005.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 4,230
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0006.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0006.png
    6 KB · Views: 4,202
  • JoJo Mayer Solo _0007.png
    JoJo Mayer Solo _0007.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 4,369
God damn! You are indeed one sick puppy! But, also very cool. I'm off to tackle the Riley solo from his new DVD, but I'll have to check some of this material out too.

Really great stuff mate. *thumbs up*

Great job! I won't be learning it, but some of us here probably will :).

Do you have a website with transcriptions?

Great job! I won't be learning it, but some of us here probably will :).

Do you have a website with transcriptions?

Thanks Korompay and Jazzin! Korompay: Your transcription of JoJos DnB groove was what got me started doing this transcription... And for all the cool transcriptions you have made and shared here, I felt that I owed this one to you personally. So that's basically my way of saying

"Thank you Korompay and Terry Branam, keep doing what you're doing, its great! I and many other people love it and work on your stuff!"

Frank0072: You don't have to learn the whole thing.... :) just watch through the video and if you like a certain fill / lick / groove you can now just check the notation and then work on it. There is a ton of really cool stuff in there that's worth checking it out.

Unfortunately I don't have a website, but I do have some more transcriptions. Maybe I should start a thread like Korompays with all the stuff in it. Website is the next thing on my schedule :)

Cheers, Lutz

Oh btw: If anybody has any questions about the transcription, I do have plenty of good tips on how to work on all the parts of the solo. (I can play most of it, but not as fast and not in one take - that's my personal summer challange).

Last edited:
WOW!!!! Thanks so much for this... really, thanks, I'll start on it tomorrow!!

I memerized the D n'B groove and am nearly up to speed with it (it's taken a while to get trad grip and Moeller up to scratch!). Is there somewhere I can see the D n' B transcription to compare with what I've been playing?

You guys are legends for posting this stuff here :)

What programme do you use to notate it? I'll aim to put some online

I have watched this DVD a few months ago....I just ordered it yesterday....loking forward to following along on your PDF with it once my DVD arrives!

Nice work...man ...can I ask how many "man-hours" went into this? years ago I transcribed "Where's my Thing" by Rush and I know that took awhile to get it all correct.

EDIT: sorry I just saw 40 hours;-)

Very nice.

More JoJo Mayer from this Video. Only the first part, maybe I'll tackle the last part also if I find the time. But the two fills in the beginning are just so damn cool, I had to transcribe them.

Oh btw: Does anybody know, if JoJo ist left-handed? Just asking this because he seems to "think" left handed (starts almost every paradiddle-like sticking with left, plays left-handed flams exclusivly - at least there is not one right-hand flam in either of the solos...). Just curious about this.

Cheers!

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer Beatz.jpg
    JoJo Mayer Beatz.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4,740
More JoJo Mayer from this Video. Only the first part, maybe I'll tackle the last part also if I find the time. But the two fills in the beginning are just so damn cool, I had to transcribe them.

Oh btw: Does anybody know, if JoJo ist left-handed? Just asking this because he seems to "think" left handed (starts almost every paradiddle-like sticking with left, plays left-handed flams exclusivly - at least there is not one right-hand flam in either of the solos...). Just curious about this.

Cheers!

i love you more than life

I'll second what that dude said! It's so awesome having guys like you on the forum.
I've also come to notice the lefty-fills and flams. I'd be very, very surprised if he was a lefty, but I recently noticed in a YouTube video (something like "Oli Rockberger Jojo Mayer duo Zurich") he started a really powerful fill left handed, which surprised me a little. I looked back through a few old videos, and sure enough, he does start a lot of stuff left handed. I'm sure there is a good reason - probably so he can end with a right.

Whoa!!!

Great transcription!!!

I followed with my sight and it's perfect!.

Great Job, man!!! Awesome

That is an awesome transcription. Thank you for doing it. He is a rudimental player if I've ever seen one.

OMG, great transcription!!!.

I'll start to working on this one, starting 5 times slower of course

Woohoo!

I've made it to the main page! That's too cool to be true!

Terry, sorry for confusing you with Gregg in the other post. How stupid from me... But your last names do sound similar (to my defense):)

I really love and appreciate your and Korompays work, it's great to have such people around here. Giving something back is the least I can do.

Peace!

how long have you been writing music rick? you're pretty talented. and will you be taking requests any time soon? my vote goes to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr8KYnEW-7Y

I've been doing that for quite some time now, but obviously this was one of the hardest ones I ever did. The only thing equally difficult that I can recall was the drumpart of "Saisir" by Eric Truffaz.

The next one will be the this one, I'm already on it, but it will take at least a few more days depending on the time I have.
To give you at least some insight on the vid you've asked for: The ending (where he goes crazy around cymbals and the whole drumset) is exactly the same as in the one I've transcribed - it seems like a signature JoJo Mayer lick he likes to use. (Page 7 of my transcription, 4th line, second bar onwards).

That is an awesome transcription. Thank you for doing it. He is a rudimental player if I've ever seen one.

Thank you. As far as rudimental player goes: Of course he is... I could break down at least 80% of the licks and fills he uses directly to rudiments. There are Singles, Doubles, Flams (quite obviously). But there's also reversed paradiddles (LRRLRLLR sometimes with the BD substituting for the diddles, so LBBLRBBR), Swiss Triplets, Alternating 3 Stroke Ruffs (basically the whole ending I was referring to earlier in this post), Multiple Bounces in the left hand... all kinds of things.
On the other hand, I could break down solos of other players like Gadd, Weckl, Smith or Colaiuta into rudiments just as well, simply because at the core of things, everything is either made up out of Singles, Doubles or flams.

I'll second what that dude said! It's so awesome having guys like you on the forum.
I've also come to notice the lefty-fills and flams. I'd be very, very surprised if he was a lefty, but I recently noticed in a YouTube video (something like "Oli Rockberger Jojo Mayer duo Zurich") he started a really powerful fill left handed, which surprised me a little. I looked back through a few old videos, and sure enough, he does start a lot of stuff left handed. I'm sure there is a good reason - probably so he can end with a right.

Also thank you. As far as ending stuff on the right hand goes: That's the funny thing about it. He sometimes doesn't end on the right, but on left. Especially Page 4, last two lines. Its a permutation of paradiddles first and then singles. But the Paras and the singles are both leading with the left hand on the China Cymbal. Rather strange... I'd never ever naturally choose to play it that way... always lead this kind of things with the right hand. But really: It's an interesting question, at least he does seem like a guy who has intensivly worked on his left hand and leading with the left hand.

Back