Jojo Mayer

B

Breakbeat Milo

Jojo Mayer is to Drum&Bass what Buddy Rich to Jazz.

He IS the Drum n ' Bass Wizard.

Just watch and listen to his performance @ the Mendoza International Drum Fest in Mendoza, Argentina.

I know you'll love him.

PEACE, LOVE and DRUMS....

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Jojo Mayer: Drum n' Bass Wizard.

i agree. we need to pick up on content in general across the forums. we need to post more than just opinions. we need a bit of thought, a bit of back up. look at phonopunk's posts for as good example of valuable posting ... or glynes for an example of backed up opinion.

yeah and jojo is a wizard. i love his sense of humour on the video. plus the skill is all there. one day i will do a one handed roll like him...or die trying.

j

Some pretty cool pictures that you haven't seen before
icon7.gif

Attachments

• saulkrastijazz_3.jpg
    saulkrastijazz_3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,026
  • jojo_1_.jpg
    jojo_1_.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 4,990
  • 2004-1_.jpg
    2004-1_.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 4,955
  • 2004-2_.jpg
    2004-2_.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 4,901
Last edited:

Wow!! Thanks!!
These pics are great..!!! Where did you get it?

Thanks for making us aware of this video. It's awesome!!
And here is one for you. Check out Thomas Pridgen at www.gospelchops.com in the shed section. Video lesson #4. It's impressive as well.

i'm going to be listning to alot of his stuff before the drum-off because i want to learn some Drum-n-Bass stuff.

JoJo Mayer

I think JoJo Mayer is an awsome srummer with good rhythm and control. Some of the stuff he plays, doesn't sound all that great to me, but for the most part most of it does and he's an awsome drummer.

Breakbeat Milo said:
Jojo performing some killer Drum n' Bass/Jungle grooves!!!

Click on the link:
http://files.filefront.com/JojoMayerDnBmpg/;4175146;;/fileinfo.html

This man... is from another planet.... believe....

Pd.: Just waiting for his performance on the Modern Drummer Festival 2005 DVD ....!!!!!!!!!
one of the best drummers I have seen. He is AMAZING simply AMAZING!!!!!! And I'm waiting for his performance on the DVD too!

Jojo Mayer performing @ HONDA Jazz 2004.
It's an entire clinic: He resumes the history of Dn'B and Jungle origin from the earlier breakbeat culture (manipulation of the "Amen Brother" and "Funky Drummer" breaks). He plays over a few Drum&Bass and House tracks. He also plays an incredible drum solo and explains a few hand techniques!!!! Do not miss this video!!!!!

Click on the link!:
http://files.filefront.com/Jojo_Mayer_DrumBass_Clinic/;4178917;;/fileinfo.html
(44 minutes and 224 MB long...)

Enjoy!

Yes Breakbeat - it's a great video.

Who filmed it? You?

Anyway, thanks for sharing...

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
Yes Breakbeat - it's a great video.

Who filmed it? You?

Anyway, thanks for sharing...

Bernhard

No. I didn't filmed that video...

Breakbeat Milo, I've been enjoying all your Jojo stuff, thanks for that, and yet I can't help the feeling that the problem with these drummers who try to play DnB is that they don't really know what good DnB is, and they're primarily drummers who realised they could create a niche for themselves by playing DnB beats. No matter how good they are at the drums (and Jojo's obviously VERY good), they seem to think that the playing great DnB involves going Boom...Bah...Boom-Bah, Boom...Bah...Boom-Bah, with a few ghost-notes thrown in. Does anyone know what I mean?

The only guy I've heard deliver a truly convincing interpretation of DnB on live drums was Marco Minnemann: it's a track called Kate, and it's the first one on his CD Broken Orange. Have you heard it? He plays some kind of auxillary snare (though someone from DW told me it was actually a roto-tom with snare wires attached) with his left foot, and the beat is phenomenal.

Womble

Last edited:

Hi Guys I'm new in here and as I live in Switzerland and play drums I felt that this discussion about JoJo and DnB was a good way to start.

First of all, no doubt that this guy is amazing especially on speed and technique......nevertheless, I have a problem when I read (not on these postings but through other websites) that JoJo is THE man in DnB. He surely kicks ass, but anyone ever heard of Drum FM (Marque Gilmore)...the guy was into live DnB since the mid 90's but unfortunately not sufficiently talked about....if anyone has any videos of his live performances I would appreciate it

Re: Jo Jo Mayer

Check out the 1995 cd from Screaming Headless Torsos too.

Back