Jojo Mayer

Okay, too much of any listening to any one voice will tune you out. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Jojo, I think he's one of the very finest drummer's playing today - man, I play his sticks and have a 19" Fierce crash! - but there's a serious cult of personality thing going on that I'm sure he's more than wary of.

Let me explain - yes he produced probably the greatest single video lesson on hand technique yet made, and he's a voyager in terms of advancing his own musicianship and concept. But wait, really good drummers do that all the time and being put on too high a pedestal can be a lot of pressure. Admit it, if you like being called the greatest living thing to do anything you're an ego freak and probably not really making MUSIC from your heart or listening to the musicians around you. This is why these guys are cool when you meet them, they avoid thinking about how great you think they are because if that gets to the head they're toast.

So watch out, they're are hundreds and thousands of wicked drummers out there playing great music - there's no need to pigeonhole only one as the best. Respect be shown where it's deserved, but never let yourself be caught in an argument about why x is greater than y, cause someone will come at you hurling Blaker's, Elvin's, Bonham's, Gadd's or Carlock's!

i saw him live in north york (near toronto.... in Canada :) ) and he was amazing. soul drums put on a great show and he Jojo was so inspiring, i went wih my brother, his friend, a pro drummer/ teacher, and a couple other people, and everyone was blown away. My brother said that it changed his life lol, cuz of how jojo said music works and how he see it. b r a d .

I must state the obvious...JOJO is an awesome kit player...such groove and feel it is so nice to see and take in as he plays. SWEET!!!! An inspiration.

what he does seems to be effortless, it's crazy!!! it's rare to find someone who can play dnb but also have such a great brush technique......JOJO COME TO IRELAND!!!

The JoJo 7even groove......OK I recently purchased the Nerve album on iTunes....Man the whole 7even groove is totally locked in my head now...love that tune....started working on writing it out and figuring it out also. More complex than you might guess at first.

and of the course it's important to get it to feel right once you get past the technical issues;-)

One of my faves ever. He is so creative and puts the technique to work for the music and not in the opposite way.

Kudos for Jojo!

Really creative and innovative. Also his fierce line is pretty sick!

do you know the whaling technique that jojo does? (when he licks his finger and runs it across the tom head, creating a sound that mimics that of a whale)

Can you get that when you use fiberskyn heads??...because they are so smooth, there may not be enough friction on the heads...????????????

do you know the whaling technique that jojo does? (when he licks his finger and runs it across the tom head, creating a sound that mimics that of a whale)

Can you get that when you use fiberskyn heads??...because they are so smooth, there may not be enough friction on the heads...????????????

You can do that on any drumhead, its just a matter of getting it once.... then you can apply it to any drumhead you want. It works great on floor toms as well.

I think its a bit easier on coated heads - fiberskyn should work just fine.

You can do that on any drumhead, its just a matter of getting it once.... then you can apply it to any drumhead you want. It works great on floor toms as well.

I think its a bit easier on coated heads - fiberskyn should work just fine.

thanks man, was just wondering because i want to furnish my whole set with them, but just did'nt know whether i could do a thing that i love so much!

Yeah I have been fooling with the pitch bending as well....does not seem to work really well on my clear heads...almost muffles too much. Maybe with a higher tnesion head it would work better?

What a wonderful interview in Modern Drummer recently. His thought process on music is just so well developed. I would love to have the oppritunity to take a few lessons with him. God, I wonder how much that kind of knowledge is worth! ha ha!

Back