Derek Reith found dead

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Police say the longtime percussionist for Portland, Oregon, band Pink Martini has been found dead.

A police spokesman said Friday that the Oregon State medical examiner's office has determined that 43-year-old Derek Rieth died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. The death has been ruled a suicide.

Officers found Rieth's body Wednesday night when they conducted a welfare check on behalf of someone who was concerned after not hearing from him for several hours. Sgt. Pete Simpson says a shotgun was found and taken as evidence.

The Oregonian reports (http://is.gd/ByieDT ) that Rieth was a founding member of Pink Martini, playing everything from bongos to finger cymbals.

The newspaper said the band was scheduled to play the Oregon Zoo with the von Trapps on Friday and Saturday, shows that will go on.

A shame.I guess everyone has their demons,it's just that some are louder than others.Go easy man...

Steve B

*for the record, it's "Rieth"

This was a total shocker for me and my friends. I can't even process what happened yet, it's so surreal. I've played gigs with him for years, and he was a super jovial dude and a monster player, always throwing himself into what he was doing. We didn't hang out regularly outside of gigs, but we connected in those moments we got to play together, you know? The whole "...but he seemed perfectly fine last week!" sentiment really comes to the forefront for Derek.

Just like Robin Williams' passing, let this be a wake up call for anybody who is depressed or bipolar and thinks that they are "fine." Talk to somebody. If you feel the urge or you think your demons are too deeply rooted: professional services are out there and are actually helpful. You're not alone, despite what you tell yourself.

Back